sl2000 tweeter replacement

Options
88wildrunner
88wildrunner Posts: 13
edited June 2006 in Troubleshooting
I just bought some polk audio 5B speakers and the tweeters dont seem to be working. they are probly blown. the speakers are from 1985.

i was wondering were to go to buy some new sl 2000 tweeters. and are these speakers worth the money to replace the tweeters. here are some pics of the speakers in question.
Post edited by 88wildrunner on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2006
    Options
    That's a great little bookshelf speaker and certainly worth the money to get them fixed....within reason of course.

I have two SL2000 for sale in the Flea Market($50/ shipped), but otherwise check Ebay or look into the RD0194 replacement silk dome, directly from Polk Audio. The new silk dome tweeters run about $45/ each for Club Polk members.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Pssst..... your dark photo of the binding post plate sure seems to be missing something. The fuse for the tweeter. ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The reason your tweeters aren't working is that you're missing the fuses, which act as an protection device to prevent the tweeters from cooking. I'm not sure what the correct value of the fuses are for your speakers. Maybe someone else here knows or you can call Polk and ask them.

Edit: Mike answered as I was typing...LOL. Nothing wrong with our old eyes, eh!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Better eyeballs from old people....what's the world coming to.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2006
    Options
    They don't call me eagle eyes for nothing.:)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk 88wildrunner!

Maybe one of these fine gents can recommend the fuse size?? I think they are 3 amp?
    Carl

• 88wildrunner
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Do'h i thought that was for a fuse but ive never seen a fuse on the back of a speaker cabinet.
    does any one know the fuse size
  • F1nut
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Pick up the phone.

President of Club Polk

• 88wildrunner
    edited June 2006
    Options
    i just replaced the fuses and the tweeters still didnt work. then i pulled the tweeter out and directly conected them to my reciever and still got nothin so im pretty sure theryre blown and ill have to get new ones
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Buy with confidence from Doro!
  • F1nut
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Demiurge wrote:
    Buy with confidence from Doro!

Absolutely

BTW, what is the proper size fuse?

President of Club Polk

• 88wildrunner
    edited June 2006
    Options
    polk customer says a 1amp fastblow is the proper fuse for the monitor 5 series. i tried to pm Doro about the tweeters but the mod says i have to have 10 post before im able to pm anyone. 50 is a good deal to polk says the want like 65 each for new ones.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Good to know, thanks. I IM'd Doro for you.

President of Club Polk