Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Options
    :eek:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Tubes,tubes,tubes
    OMG I think I have a tube going bad! I'm glad to have a tube pre but it has only 2 tubes. And it has had me wondering what I am hearing.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2006
    Options
    cool until ya wanna roll tubes.. or one is acting up... HMMM which one is it, 1,2,3,6,9,14 hmmm lemme check em all :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited June 2006
    Options
    It will be hell to match 14 tubes!!!

-fredv-
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I bet it's one hell of a pre, though.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I like the "big blue badass caps" in there:p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'd likely jump all over this, if it weren't that I have an affinity for NOS tubes and that sucker would eat into my tube budget BIGTIME!!!! Like close to $700 to tube it once.:eek:
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Looks to me it has a set for each input. That is, one (set) for each of the aux, one for the MC phono stage, one for both MM phono stages, and one for each tape in. Shouldn't be too hard to trouble shoot.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2006
    Options
    that thing's built like a brick sh^thouse!!

would love to hear it, would not like to retube it :p
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    edited June 2006
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    Looks to me it has a set for each input. That is, one (set) for each of the aux, one for the MC phono stage, one for both MM phono stages, and one for each tape in. Shouldn't be too hard to trouble shoot.

hmmmm, to kind of like have a tube buffer for every one of your sources.

intersting, part of me says overkill, but interesting nonetheless
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,093
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Very intriguing :) . I can't say that I have ever run across a cascode arrangement using tubes ( in a pre no less). I know they are out there, but never really encountered one before. I am a big fan of the cascode arrangement with transistors (ie; Nelson Pass)

Here are a couple articles. The first is one Nelson Pass wrote and although it's mostly about transistors the principles can be applied to tubes as well.

http://www.passlabs.com/downloads/articles/cascode.pdf

The other is simply a good Wikipedia explaination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascode

Very interesting piece there Noel. To bad it would be so expensive to roll your favorite tubes, because otherwise it looks like a winner and a unique piece.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    I'd likely jump all over this, if it weren't that I have an affinity for NOS tubes and that sucker would eat into my tube budget BIGTIME!!!! Like close to $700 to tube it once.:eek:
    Quit your bichin you tube snob! :p Come down to earth with the rest of us and use Ei's or JJ's ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    amulford wrote:

If that's true, then I wouldn't have to have the best tubes in every socket. Just put my faves in the sockets for the inputs being utilized, correct? Put some cheapies in the others.
  • ohskigod
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    If that's true, then I wouldn't have to have the best tubes in every socket. Just put my faves in the sockets for the inputs being utilized, correct? Put some cheapies in the others.

if anthony is right, then yes, your right.

if you listen to one source for a while, that sounds workable, bu if you switch sources alot, it might be a P.I.T.A. might be worth it though if it is that good a pre.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• heiney9
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'd really check the design and see if that's the case (each bank being for each input). If it wasn't cascode Anthony is probably right, but since it's a more complicated design, I'd make sure before assuming. Just a thought

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Some info here Noel.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/473192.aspx

mdeneen is still active over there. Join the Klipsch forum, if your not a member already,:D and PM him.

NOTE: j/k. No slamming of Klipsch or Noel intended.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I think I'll do a little more research on the Rogue Sixty-Six tubed pre. I like the looks and it has a remote.

Anyone know anything about Rogue gear? Their stuff looks well built.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I heard the Rogue Audio gear @ Decibel Audio (same place I demo'd the VS speakers). Great stuff but too pricey for me. The remote is a massive metal thing with an up arrow and a down arrow - thats it - basic.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Crazy. That thing can hold more capacitance than many amps.
    Tube rolling would be very co$tly on that unit.
  • heiney9
    edited June 2006
    Options

Is Mark Hardy one and the same as mhardy6647? They are both from New England. Perhaps you could PM him Noel. I think they are the same person.

H9
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:

Or you could set it up with the sound you like for each piece of equipment you use. Say you have a bright sounding CDP and want to tone it down a bit...
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:

Here's a copy and paste from the linked thread...
    "Cascode is a compound tube - which is to say, two tubes configured as one. In general one tube is used as a dynamic load to another tube used as the amplifier (instead of using a load resistor). This makes it possible to get the gain of a pentode from a triode while retaining all the linearity and transfer characteristics of a triode. Most early examples go back to Wallman in the '40s.
    mdeneen"

Looks like you also have even more flexibility when it comes to tailoring your sound. You could use something neutral as the dynamic load and something warm and euphonic as amplification. Of course, that is if the above post from the Klipsch forum is correct.
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    It's a quote from the designer, so I'd say it'd have to be correct.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Noel, my McAlister ML-33 pre amp is set up like that. Two 6FQ7 tubes provide infinite plate load resistance for the two 6CG7 linestage tubes.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Yes. If you haven't read the link to the Nelson Pass article on Cascode config. do so, it goes into more detail about how it works. It doesn't matter if it's tranny's or tubes the effect/outcome is the same. It's actually a pretty cool way to arrange an amplification circuit. That's why I like my Nak receiver so much. The Stasis amplification (which Nelson designed) works using the cascode principle, only on a smaller more compact scale than in his big amplifiers.

Again nothing new here as this configuration was around in the 40's and 50's (for tubes) it's just todays implementation is much better, what with newer more reilable and exacting parts, etc. And it seems to overcome some pitfalls in common transistor output sections. You get many of the benefits of class A performance w/o the waste of as much energy. Plus you eliminate much of the unwanted side effects of too much negative feedback in A/B designs not to mention switching distortion, which in some cases can be detrimental.

For tubes it's possible to get the gain of a pentode from a triode while retaining all the linearity and transfer characteristics of a triode.

H9