What would you do?

Libertyc
Libertyc Posts: 914
I need some advice from the experts. How should I hook up my 2 ch system?
I have a pair of SDA 1.2tls, two Carver 1.0t power amps, Audio Experience tube preamp, and a PSW1200.
Should I biamp the speakers, using one for the highs, the other for the lows, or should I bridge the amps and use one for each side?
How should I power the PWS 1200?
Currently I'm powering the Polks with a SAE two power amp and it sounds great.
I also need to buy all new wires - right now I'm using crap.
Please advise.
Post edited by Libertyc on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Just my VERY unexpert .02.....

Bridge the amps. Ditch the sub.

If you REALLY want to use the sub, you could, I suppose run speaker level connections in to the sub and then out to the speakers.

Wires and cables is a subjective thing but I would check out signalcable.com. Good stuff, cheap.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2002
    No Expert here either, the experts just retired from this site.
    Tell us more, did you just get this stuff? how is it hooked up now? What do you/don't you like about the sound.

Wolf in sheep's clothing
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited October 2002
    Hoosier,
    I have had the 1.2tls for about six months now. I powering them with a SAE two power amp(130 wpc @4 ohms) , and an Audio Experience tube preamp. The 1.2s are hooked to speaker A, and the psw1200 is hooked to speaker B. Right now the system sounds great!
    The SAE two sounds good...but I have a pair of Carver 1.0t power amps ready to hook up to the Polks. All I need is some good wires, but should I bridge the amps or biamp the 1.2tls?
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2002
    Should you bi-amp or bridge the Carvers? You have to have a special interconnect cable (you are using one right?) that Polk offered called the "A1" before you can use mono or bridged amp on the SDA speakers. Or do a search on this site and find where instruction are out there on how make an A1 yourself.

I can not give you a straight answer on what to do, man have fun and try all possibilities, horz. bi-amp, vertical bi-amp, bridged, mix and match the Carvers and SAE's top and bottom.

I have had the same speakers and power amps as you, I used my Carvers Bridged with the A1, awsome sound and power.

Get some wires and knock yourself out.

Try Roger Waters "Amused to death" CD, cool stuff

Oops forgot about the PSW1200, sorry but I don't have any experience with a sub in a 2 ch set up, only off a Digital rec. with a sub out. I would have to try running the preouts to the sub then back the the power amps, but I know this costs a lotta dough, but I do not trust the crossover and electronics in the subwoofer to handle my signal at the speaker level. I mean those Carvers will do 1000wpc bridged, do you want that running thru the Polk 1200?/ I would not.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2002
    I'm with Troy, bridge the amps and ditch the sub. I highly recommend MIT wires which range from little money to you must be insane. Somewhere in the middle will do you well.

BTW, welcome!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk