Help I think I broke my receiver

Ceruleance
Ceruleance Posts: 991
edited October 2002 in Electronics
I own a JVC RX-8010VBK.
Yesterday I was playing it seriously loud for maybe 20 minutes or so, when in the middle of the song it just turns off and the standby light comes on, just as if i had pressed the power button. I felt the top of it and it was seriously hot. So I turned it back on later when it was very cold, and the LCD screen doesnt work, nor does it play anything, just the small LED's for input and line direct mode and DSP come on; but then after 5 seconds everything turns off on its own automatically. I've overheated before to where it doesnt play music anymore but it still stays on (and the self amplified sub keeps playing its part) but this time I definitely did something seriously wrong, and I need to know what everyone's advice is, as to how messed up it is, and how much I should expect to pay to get it repaired. It's really depressing not to have music as i am used to literally 4 or 5 hours of it a day. Not to mention not one authorized JVC repair company in my state is open saturday afternoon or sunday...
if you know anything about this kind of thing, please let me know!

:(
Post edited by Ceruleance on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    Did you find any blown fuses?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited October 2002
    Ceruleance-

Most electronics have an internal breaker of some sort that shuts off if the unit gets to hot.
    After the unit cools down it usually resets itself.
    If your unit did not return to normal after completely cooling down, I would definitely say it's time for a trip to the repair shop.
    Definitely get an estimate before repair,
    if it's unreasonable, consider looking for a
    new unit.

-Luc
  • Ceruleance
    edited October 2002
    im in a dorm, no access to fuse panel, but the surge that my receiver is on everything else plugged into it is fine. are yhere fuses inside the receiver
  • Ceruleance
    edited October 2002
  • trubluluc
    edited October 2002
    it's still on warranty?

_luc
  • Ceruleance
    edited October 2002
    i think so, i got it around the end of the year last year or the year before i forget which. It seems like I shouldnt have to pay for something when i was using it correctly, It has tons of space on all sides of it, im not using it out of its operating room temperature, who knows. I will call tomorrow
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    Often the microprocessor needs to be reset. Read the manual thoroughly to find out how to do this. It can be done by the user.

Good luck.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Ceruleance
    edited October 2002
    My manual says nothing about resetting the microprocessor. I perused it very carefully and did find a second page of troubleshooting, with my problem on it. It says this

The STANDBY lamp lights up after
    turning on the power, but soon the
    receiver turns off again (into standby
    mode).

The receiver is overloaded because of a
    high voltage.

Press POWER on the front panel to turn off
    the receiver. After unplugging the AC power
    cord, consult your dealer.

So, what's my dealer going to tell me? To reset the microprocessor?
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    My manual says nothing about resetting the microprocessor. I perused it very carefully and did find a second page of troubleshooting, with my problem on it. It says this

The STANDBY lamp lights up after
    turning on the power, but soon the
    receiver turns off again (into standby
    mode).

The receiver is overloaded because of a
    high voltage.

Press POWER on the front panel to turn off
    the receiver. After unplugging the AC power
    cord, consult your dealer.

So, what's my dealer going to tell me? To reset the microprocessor?

Try unplugging the power cord and waiting, say, 10 mins, then plugging it back in. THis should reset the stuff in the amp. THen again, I unplugged my JVC amp once for a week and when I plugged it back in, all my setting were still saved. Must have battery backup. Still, unplugging the amp for a few minutes might just do it...

DooD

EDIT:::: YES there are fuses inside the receiver. Look and see if any are blown, but be careful when poking around inside your receiver (note.... poke at your own risk!!!!)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • trubluluc
    edited October 2002
    If it is still under warranty (usually) a year, take it into the dealer BEFORE opening up the case.
    Some manufacturers are touchy about this, if you open it up, the warranty is over, and you're on your own.

-Luc
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    It seems like I shouldnt have to pay for something when i was using it correctly

Hmmm.....cranking any receiver past it's limit is not using it correctly. It's like a car, the engine has a rpm red line (limit), sure you can rev it past the red line, but then you'll be talking to the mechanic. :rolleyes:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    Here's how mine is reset:

Unplug, and plug back in while holding down the power button. Can't hurt to try...........

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Ceruleance
    edited October 2002
    tried it, thanks, must be different for my receiver, unfortunately
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited October 2002
    Did you check for any crossed speaker wires...one time I was cranking an old sony loud for a while and the wires @the reciever moved close enough together to keep setting off the system.........check at the speaker connections too if you haven't already......
    Good Luck...StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center