Options
13»

Comments

• Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Hi madmax

LP.... I think this an old term that is short for long playing. (vs 45's etc.)

180 Gram 120 etc.... is the weight of the vinyl used. In the later heyday of record albums, companies apparently used less vinyl in their pressings. My guess is that it was a corporate decision to save money on each copy. The heavier the album, the less chance there is that it will have warp in it. I remember in the late 70's buying records that were nearly paper thin and would come out of the sleeve pre-warped. You will also see the term virgin vinyl which I believe is vinyl that has not been recycled.

D2D......I don't know what this is. Mayby rlw can help us here?

The guys at acoustic sounds are awesome. It is a company where you can call and actually talk to a person and in my experience someone who is not only knowledgable, but friendly and helpful (oh , and by the way, they don't talk down to you). I bought my last cartridge through them and they were great to work with. I have also bought albums from them and the service and delivery is fast.

Concerning your earlier post...don't worry about what the 1.2's will do for analog music. They are truly amazing. After lunch today I sat down and listened to Van Morrison's Moondance on 180 gram vinyl and my Polks have yet to dissapoint me. The album that sold me on the Polks was Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger. Between the Rega and the Polks, this album NEVER sounded so good. Every string that old man pulls on his worn out guitar sounds perfect. Given the direction you are taking you will not be dissapointed. I'm more than a little envious. Good luck!

Hope I got those terms right. rlw may have some further input. Are you out there?

Paul
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2002
    Options
    D2D = Direct to Disc
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I like Willie Nelson. I'll have to give that a try. I found quite a few albums I would like to have already but they will have to wait. I wouldn't be too envious. At least you have a tonearm and a cartridge! (and a brain) It will be awhile for me. BTW, I'm not eating lunch this year either and I have decided to use a pre-amp with phono pre-amp that I have in the magic closet for awhile as well.

Who started this damn post anyway, I was perfectly happy with my CD player! Gidrah???

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax001
    BTW, I'm not eating lunch this year either and I have decided to use a pre-amp with phono pre-amp that I have in the magic closet for awhile as well.

Who started this damn post anyway, I was perfectly happy with my CD player! Gidrah???

madmax

Acoustic Sounds is a great source. Here's a couple of more to whet your whistle:

The BopShop - absolute best in used jazz

Elusive Disc

Red Trumpet

Note: for the 3 above, get on their e-mail list. You'll be informed of specials like 15% off sales.

Euclid Records - mondo used records

GEMM - if you can't find it here, you won't find it

Even the SACD folks do vinyl - a bit difficult to navigate, but new releases are here

More Used Records

The above does not grade covers, but are accurate in record grading.

B-Bop Records - Small, but good for a couple rarities

Armed with these links, and a platinum card, you can really do your part to help the economy.
  • madmax
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the sites!!! I'll bookmark each. I was a little afraid of availability of stuff I like but I'm seeing some of it. Besides, I'm fairly flexable when it comes to music. I have about a hundred LP's but it remains to be seen if they are still of good quality. I'm a little worried that never cleaning them and not being careful enough with them may have had it's toll.

Speaking of cleaning: Which cleaning machine would you pick? I looked at a nitty gritty 1.5 and one from VPI. Is there kind of a standard amounst LP enthusiasts?

• madmax
    edited October 2002
    Options
    One more thing about cleaning. Do you clean each time? Before or after or both? What is the standard procedure for handling LP's?
    madmax