My 2006 Civic Install

2»

Comments

• chylld
    chylld Posts: 2
    edited May 2006
    this thread has really inspired me, been searching for what people have done with their '06 civics and this really hits the spot - full sound deadening of the car.

i live in australia, the model here that i bought is called the civic sport and looks pretty much the same inside and out as the one you guys get. this weekend i intend to rip as much of the car out as i can to see if i can get it as bare as you got it brent, but i want to ask: do you have any tips for removing the interior trim? i have a rough idea of how to do it from reading the service manuals at collegehillshonda.com, but want to know if there are any special techniques/tools that would make life easier / reduce my chance of breaking something. :)
  • fisheric
    fisheric Posts: 2
    edited June 2006
    ive always wanted to put a computer in my car with a touch screen. where did you find a suitable one? it would be cool to have some hot keys built into the console or dash dont you think?
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited June 2006
    chylld - the only tools you need are a socket set, a panel popper, phillips and flat head screwdriver. Those will do the trick. Everything came apart pretty easy, the center console was a little tricky, there are two screws hidden under the panel for the stick. Other than that it just takes time, i had to do it all by hand i do not have an air compressor :(

fisheric - I actually built the computer, I bought most of the parts for it on a site called MP3Car.com. They have eberything you would need including a tremendous forum section where you can get any and all questions anwered.

I am almost done with everything, pics of the final product will be up shortly
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Wow, I missed all the updates on this. You sure have been on it a long time...but it looks like it has most definitely been worth it! It all looks great! I can't wait to see what it looks like when you've finished.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • chylld
    chylld Posts: 2
    edited June 2006
    brent: i just wrapped up my project yesterday - 4 full days of dynamatting for the floor, rear seat, boot and all 4 doors (inside and out). you're right, you don't really need any special tools (i didn't even use my panel popper) but i did put a 90 degree bend in a small flathead screwdriver to help pry up the armrest consoles in the doors.

here's a pic of my floor done... followed the way you did it pretty much, but kept the wires and plugs accessible:

floor6us.th.jpg
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited June 2006
    I see you did not feel like messing with the carpet, you just kind of propped it up out of your way, haha. I almost did the same thing but decided to just cut it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    Nicely done :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • josh_parsons626
    josh_parsons626 Posts: 219
    edited June 2006
    Hey brent I was just wondering if you could maybe e-mail with a DETAILED explanation of how you did your subs. The way your box was and everything. Cause I have a 93 Mazda 626 that my subs are gonna be facing you when you lower the back seat down. And I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'm gonna go about doing all that plus a unique place for the amps too. My email address is Josh_Parsons626@yahoo.com
    Don't forget to look at My Home Theater :D

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR503
    Fronts - Polk Audio Monitor 40
    Center - Polk Audio CS1
    Surrounds - Paradigm Cinema ADP
    Subwoofer - Velodyne VRP-1200
  • josh_parsons626
    josh_parsons626 Posts: 219
    edited June 2006
    I also wanna say that man first time or not first time that Civic or yours from the pics I've seen looks awesome man! I mean honestly you have really done a good job on that custom work. But I have to ask you though I'm concerned with your subs fully installed in the trunk are you still having room for your spare tire? Cause that's been a big issue in my installation in my car.
    Don't forget to look at My Home Theater :D

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR503
    Fronts - Polk Audio Monitor 40
    Center - Polk Audio CS1
    Surrounds - Paradigm Cinema ADP
    Subwoofer - Velodyne VRP-1200
  • Pinkank
    Pinkank Posts: 12
    edited August 2006
    wow, thats pretty awsome
  • themexicankid
    themexicankid Posts: 1
    edited September 2006
    Did you run 8 gauge to your amps? or was that 4 gauge in disguise
  • avhomedesigns
    avhomedesigns Posts: 29
    edited February 2009
    Wow, nicely done
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited February 2009
    Awesome install, really caught my attention. Wanting to see the finished product as well.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Popeye89
    Popeye89 Posts: 9
    edited December 2009
  • dendritic007
    dendritic007 Posts: 2
    edited January 2010
    Modding a new car is the greatest. You get to take something that is sharp and make it spectacular. If I am planning on modding my vehicle I do it when it is new and comes apart more easily. I bought an 05 Lexus is300 in 06. They had to locate one for me as the 06 were being released. Why I did not get an 06? All in the engine, 06 has a not so modable v6 motor where the 05 has inline 6. Which is limitless. None the less car had 1 mile on it when it went next door from the lot. New set of Foose 20" wheels. Also picked up 18" in the same wheel, for when the suspension is changed. Car had 7 miles on it when it went into my garage where it stayed for approx 2 weeks. Forget model number and dont wanna go look, HU is Eclipse double din with navi touchscreen. I believe it is the first touch double din eclipse made. Focal components for front and I forget the model but the best polk audio 6x9 *(at the time) for the rear. All powered by 300/4 Jl audio, Subs were 2 13.5 jl w7's powered by 2 1000/1 Jl amps @ 1.5ohms. Phoenix gold 20 farad cap, digital volt meter that attached to cap. Had to put second battery Yellow top Optima in trunk as well.Replaced front battery with Red Top Optima, it has more cold cranking amps. Car would not run without trunk battery while stereo was just barely booming. I have pics of all of the stages of my install that i will post soon. I do it all myself, so when i am done it is all my creativity not others. To the person that said that they could not tell the difference between a jl w7 and a jlw6v2, must have just been looking at them!!! Maybe the w7 wasent being powered properly. I only have experience with Memphis, JL audio, and Eclipse. I tried using Eclipse's 1000 watt mono amp to power a W7. Bought am new for like 900 bucks,(Junk) went straight to Ebay! IMO Eclipse makes a better sq amp than jl when it is use for highs, jl takes the cake with power. Yes I know there are cheaper amps out there that are powerful, audiobahn being one. Save your money get what you know, dont take shortcuts. Now my wife has a new civic hybrid, new project!! No subs with her just 6 new speakers and a nice 4 channel amp. I am gonna use the Eclipse class D 100 x 4 amp, I have used this in my truck in the past, the sq is great and plenty of power 100 x4 @ 4ohms. The main reason to choose a JL amp for your subs is not just the boom or the sq. The 500/1 and the 1001/1 amps do not change the rms wattage output depending on ohms, so if you ever change your sub configuration which could change the ohms, your amp will still be putting out full rms wattage. Also avoid cheaper amps that say 1000 watts max power. What a joke!! Most amps that say that are only 500 rms and 1000 with a musical peak. RMS wattage is all that matters. now for my question, what 6.5" components should I use for my wifes car? I want to try something new. I am using components for the front and rear.
  • dendritic007
    dendritic007 Posts: 2
    edited January 2010
    Modding a new car is the greatest. You get to take something that is sharp and make it spectacular. If I am planning on modding my vehicle I do it when it is new and comes apart more easily. I bought an 05 Lexus is300 in 06. They had to locate one for me as the 06 were being released. Why I did not get an 06? All in the engine, 06 has a not so modable v6 motor where the 05 has inline 6. Which is limitless. None the less car had 1 mile on it when it went next door from the lot. New set of Foose 20" wheels. Also picked up 18" in the same wheel, for when the suspension is changed. Car had 7 miles on it when it went into my garage where it stayed for approx 2 weeks. Forget model number and dont wanna go look, HU is Eclipse double din with navi touchscreen. I believe it is the first touch double din eclipse made. Focal components for front and I forget the model but the best polk audio 6x9 *(at the time) for the rear. All powered by 300/4 Jl audio, Subs were 2 13.5 jl w7's powered by 2 1000/1 Jl amps @ 1.5ohms. Phoenix gold 20 farad cap, digital volt meter that attached to cap. Had to put second battery Yellow top Optima in trunk as well.Replaced front battery with Red Top Optima, it has more cold cranking amps. Car would not run without trunk battery while stereo was just barely booming. I have pics of all of the stages of my install that i will post soon. I do it all myself, so when i am done it is all my creativity not others. To the person that said that they could not tell the difference between a jl w7 and a jlw6v2, must have just been looking at them!!! Maybe the w7 wasent being powered properly. I only have experience with Memphis, JL audio, and Eclipse. I tried using Eclipse's 1000 watt mono amp to power a W7. Bought am new for like 900 bucks,(Junk) went straight to Ebay! IMO Eclipse makes a better sq amp than jl when it is use for highs, jl takes the cake with power. Yes I know there are cheaper amps out there that are powerful, audiobahn being one. Save your money get what you know, dont take shortcuts. Now my wife has a new civic hybrid, new project!! No subs with her just 6 new speakers and a nice 4 channel amp. I am gonna use the Eclipse class D 100 x 4 amp, I have used this in my truck in the past, the sq is great and plenty of power 100 x4 @ 4ohms. The main reason to choose a JL amp for your subs is not just the boom or the sq. The 500/1 and the 1001/1 amps do not change the rms wattage output depending on ohms, so if you ever change your sub configuration which could change the ohms, your amp will still be putting out full rms wattage. Also avoid cheaper amps that say 1000 watts max power. What a joke!! Most amps that say that are only 500 rms and 1000 with a musical peak. RMS wattage is all that matters. now for my question, what 6.5" components should I use for my wifes car? I want to try something new. I am using components for the front and rear.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited January 2010
    Honestly man if he did the dash pieces I would have him re mount those tweeters into the pillars it would look and sound so much better. Just a suggestion.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000