Vibration problems

dylan
dylan Posts: 453
Ever since I got an SVS sub, DVD's skip during heavy lfe. CD's seem ok on heavy bass stuff (on a Denon player), but the Toshiba 2715 skipping is really annoying. I put the player on 2 towels (the towel mod, patent pending!) to make sure it was just the vibrations, and it played fine, so I'm blaming Toshiba for not being very flexible.

So... Vibrapods cut it way down, but it still happens. So usually heavy lfe parts are the exciting parts of the movie, so bam bam bam -- skip -- silence -- silence -- and it moves on. I also just bought a new equipment rack, with the stands filled with sand, but it did the same thing on my old stand.

Any ideas for vibration absorption? Foam? Dynamat? Styrofoam? Vibrapod sandwich?
Post edited by dylan on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    Did you bake the vibrapods?

You actually might want to try adding some weight to the dvd player. Get a $2 mousepad, set it on top of the player, and add a 3-5lb weight on top. You can deal with the 'ugly' factor later, I'm interested to see if this helps.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited September 2002
    Try "Big Feet" from Audioquest, made from sorbothane gel. This solved all my vibration problems.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Move DVD player farther from sub.:)
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Get rid of all hip hop/rap music!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Get rid of all hip hop/rap music!

That's not music, it's just noise.:lol:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    I'd look into a piece of rock. Granite, slate, or marble for under your sub. Put this on top of those towels and your problems should subside.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Wouldn't that create a "HARD" sound?

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    edited September 2002
    I've never heard of soundwaves being hard or soft.

You're just in that F1 mode. That's okay. I'll be here.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    It was meant to be a pun, but you can have a hard or soft sound depending on room acoustics, etc.

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    edited September 2002
    From what I've heard/read from people that use a downfiring sub is that this kind of treatment is THE way to go. Front, side, & top firing subs can also benefit, but not usually to the same degree.

If I had a sub with a sound that I considered to be 'hard', I'd be a happy camper.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Do you use a "stone" platform?

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    edited September 2002
    Nope. I use spikes. But my sub is a front-firing design with smaller drivers. I'm also using this in a pretty small room with a wife that has the hearing of a bat and a daughter that sleeps like a shrew. Until recently I also had a tenant living upstairs.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    We all have a cross to bear :D Good Night!

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2002
    If possible, as scott suggests, move the sub farther from your rack.
    Also, get some foam.
    I'm using 1/2" compressed closed cell foam under my subs (front firing) and it helped alot.
    The sound is still big and deep, but the lamps no longer rattle.
    For a down firing sub, I would put a piece of stone over the foam. Insulating the sub from the floor, but bouncing the sound up into the room.

-Luc
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited October 2002
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried a bunch of weight on it last weekend, but no luck. I thought that was going to be the ticket.

How far do you think the slate should extend past the sub? The foam sounds good too... is that a Home Depot kind of deal?

Thanks!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2002
    As long as the sub sits on the slate, it does not matter how far out it extends. Your landscape supply stores will carry the slate. I picked up a 2" thick, 1.5' x 2' slice for $20. Of course, I did this for increased preformance from the sub, I did not have any skipping problems.

Good Luck! Have you thought about putting the player on spikes?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited October 2002
    dylan-

I picked up my foam from REI.
    But home depot may have it as well..
    It's the thin blue stuff just visable in a couple of shots in the "system showcase".l

-Luc