Tweteer Verification

Options
jbustamante1
jbustamante1 Posts: 2
edited May 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have a pair of speakers RS50. The woofers test good but the tweters do not sound Can someone tell me if I can test it with a VOM. If yes what I should meaured?

Thanks.
Post edited by jbustamante1 on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Hi Jbustamante1 and welcome to the Club Polk Forums! Are you saying that you aren't getting any sound out of the tweeters in both speakers, or just one? An easy way to test the tweeter is to swap a good one from the other speaker and try it. Or just connect any speaker to the wire leads from the suspect tweeter to see if you are getting a signal.
    Carl

• miguel rios
    miguel rios Posts: 4
    edited May 2006
    Options
    In general, speakers are made with a coil that should measure around 8 Ohms (actual value may go from 5 to 10 Ohms). In any case if the speaker breaks, it most probably will measure infinity Ohms, since tipically high power levels made them act as fuses and go open circuit.

Miguel
    I have a pair of speakers RS50. The woofers test good but the tweters do not sound Can someone tell me if I can test it with a VOM. If yes what I should meaured?

Thanks.
  • jbustamante1
    jbustamante1 Posts: 2
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Thanks very much guys. When opening the speakers I found one of the tweeter circuit burned and on the other board the coil seems to be overheated but it checks continity and I do not have instrument measure the capacitors but I supposed the circuit is also damaged.

Both "dynamic balance tweeters" shows open (less than 80 M Ohms). I checked other tweeers of different brand name that are working properly and they also showed open (less than 80 M Ohms).

Now I guess I have to repair my cross overs to see if the tweeter are O.K.

Any thing new will be welcomed. Thanks very much