Got the McAlister running tonight !

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited May 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Review is on the way. Man, this is a DIFFERENT amp for sure. This will take a little time to get my facts straight. This will not be straight forward, for sure. Some exciting potential and performance here!
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2006
    Options
    hope it works out, you've been waiting for that for a while right?
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Congrats Chuck. Let me know how it works out - I'm going to talk to McAlister tomorrow. My amp is completed - he is going to test for a couple of days and burn in. Can't wait to get it!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Pics-Pics-Pics....or is it this one the "no disclosure" one????

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Aw c'mon Max, don't be a tease. Tell us more. What was your initial impression?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Aw c'mon Max, don't be a tease. Tell us more. What was your initial impression?

Yeah, quit dangling the "carrot" :D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Pics? Are you KIDDING? The feds would be SWARMING that joint.

'It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again' :D

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options

Not dangling the carrot here guys. There are a lot of different characteristics here and I need a little more listening time to sort them all out. Most are REALLY good but, like any piece of equipment, a few things have caught my attention and I need to get a grip on what it means overall.

madmax

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2006
    Options
    So have fun and keep your ears on!!

RT1
  • jfb4548
    jfb4548 Posts: 168
    edited February 2006
    Options

Yep a 45 lbs carrot! Remember if you don't like it, I got first dibbs!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Cool.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2006
    Options
    looking fwd to hearing your thoughts.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Congratulations Chuck! We're all interested in hearing the reviews. Norm and Rich have been keeping a lot close to there vest. Some secret areement or something.
    Carl

• Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited February 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    Congratulations Chuck! We're all interested in hearing the reviews. Norm and Rich have been keeping a lot close to there vest. Some secret areement or something.

LOL no, no secrets here. I'm not much of a poster I'm afraid. I'm just enjoying my little setup to death. My PP150s does everything well. Plays quiet music crystal clear on my ribbons and is still clean at ultra high eardrum bleeding levels. Replacing my Carver preamp with a basic Audcom tube pre along with some Nordost SPM's made a nice improvement also. The amp design will not appease everyone. The wiring is point to point old school.
    For me, it's a great amp for the money. Our new McA preamps are shipping tomorrow so it will be interesting to hear how the combo together sounds.
    I'm ready to try some electrostatics now or perhaps hybrids. Been talking to a guy about acquiring his Innersound Eros II's. Afraid I'm hooked once again.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited February 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:

No secrets on the amp here either. I started a positive thread here when I first received mine and Norm also added his thoughts. Still feel the same way, lots of performance for the buck. Victor (peersool) heard it and started a thread on it too. Chuck decided to try one based on our comments. He has way more seat time* in audio than I, so many of us here are anxious to hear his impressions. The amp Chuck has is bascially the same design we have on a different chassis.

The only thing Norm and I can't disclose much about or post a picture of is Peter's new design pre amp. The one we are still waiting for. The NDA is up after an audio show in Montreal, late March. Hopefully, delivery will occur before that time.

* seat time * I'm not inferring that Chuck is lazy, just that he has experienced way more gear than I, presumably in a sitting position. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Early B.
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Max -- stop yankin' on your massive power tube and give us your initial impressions, dammit! :p
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Well guys,
    I'm still working on this one. It's a great amp in many ways but I've worked through a few problems and am waiting on a solution to the last one. Customer service is every bit as important as performance and I don't want to post a review until we get this cleared up, or not. Some times things take time and I don't want to mis-represent the seller in either a positive or negative way.
    madmax

• Early B.
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the review when you're ready.

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    Options
    "few problems"... Pretty much all the review I need.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    "few problems"... Pretty much all the review I need.

Hey man, it all rests on the resolutions, not the problems. This amp has great potential! If not, you guys will be the first to hear about it no matter what. Anything can have problems...
    madmax

• Early B.
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Max --

Any updates yet?

• Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited April 2006
    Options
    MM:
    I was reading the Mcalister threads with great interest and I could not find a final opinion from yourself on them.
    I notice the Mcalister is not listed in your current rig set-up.
    What was the final verdict?
    Sorry if I missed it in another thread, but I did look extensively.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • madmax
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Actually, I had problems with it and sent it back to McAlister for repair. It appears a loose component was shorting against another connection and was shorting out one of the supplies which caused the output power to be limited. Maybe 20 watts max in my estimation. I just received it back on Thursday and will probably test out tonight or over the next few days.

• Zen Dragon
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Excellent!
    Well excellent for the fact you will get to properly listen to it. Major bummer on the delay.
    I understand from my reading the unit is in somewhat of a state of redesign/refinement almost constantly. Hopefully if it was a design issue he corrects it in future models.
    Happy listening.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

• SCompRacer
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The new style PP150 amp is based on his old design. The differences are the power supply is smaller while the amp is larger and heavier. The power supply on the older amps have an inductance hum requiring sound deadening and isolation mounts to quiet them up. While that mod results in a significant improvement, it can still be annoying in a dead quiet room with no music playing.

He is using a different core on his output trannies, but windings, number of interleaves and the output is the same. He will use different types of output tubes, but they are still in the horizontal output family.

I have had the newer amp here and sonically they sound the same. I would have trouble getting it in my rack and would have to ditch the glass shelf.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Zen - I think that the amp is pretty much done in its current configuration (the website is not up to date). There are no changes in store for the amp that I know of.

McAlister's new pre design has been under development for quite some time but I believe that design, too, has been finalized.

I got my PP150 about two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for my new pre (I'm using Rich's while I wait).

If you are planning on ordering from McAlister Audio be specific with what you want and be prepared to wait until you receive your new equipment - I ordered mine on November 15th. :eek:

Sorry Chuck - I'm not trying to derail your thread :o (I'll submit a review in a separate thread after I get my pre) :)

The amp and pre both fit in / on my rack just fine. Nothing fancy - its a studiotech with glass shelves.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Zen Dragon
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Halo wrote:
    I got my PP150 about two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for my new pre (I'm using Rich's while I wait).

If you are planning on ordering from McAlister Audio be specific with what you want and be prepared to wait until you receive your new equipment - I ordered mine on November 15th. :eek:

Holy smokes! I was figuring on maybe a 1-2 month lead time. Now I understand it's being hand built, and apparently has become rather popular due to it's price vs performance, but he might do well to hire/partner with an experienced assembler to help him with backorders.
    A 6 month lead time could be a deal breaker for many people.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

• SCompRacer
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Peter did hire a tech a couple of months ago so hopefully his delivery times will improve. Like I told him once, if you tell a guy up front delivery will be in four months, he can decide if he wants to wait. Telling someone two months and then taking four isn't the way to do it.
  • Zen Dragon
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Bump.

MM. Any opinions on the returned product yet?

Sorry to hound on it, but I may make a foray into tubes in the semi-near future and this amp and the Jolida JD-1000A are on the short list.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center