JVC HDILA rear projection TV (HD52G887)

landry_p2000
landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
edited May 2006 in Electronics
I am planning on getting this HDTV for my HT room upgrade, and it will be delivered on Saturday. Have any of you guys had a good look at this tv, or have you heard anything good or bad about it? I saw it on display at the store, and I fell in love with it. Any input on this technology would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Landry
Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
Post edited by landry_p2000 on

Comments

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited April 2006
    There's a review in robb report's home entertainment magazine for the jvc hd56fh96 rear projectin tv on the may/june issue.
    It's not the same model but if they share similar features/technology then you can get an idea what these two tvs can do.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2006
    Advice on something after the purchase? That's a different approach......lol.

The only thing I've heard has been reliability issues with the bulbs if I remember correctly. I do remember seeing them when they first hit the market and thought they looked pretty good. I'm putting off a TV purchase though until HD becomes the norm and the prices drop a bit.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited April 2006
    According to robb report's review of the jvc hd56fh96,the bulb last approx 6,000 hrs.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2006
    SHOULD last 6000 hours...
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • landry_p2000
    edited April 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Advice on something after the purchase? That's a different approach......lol.

The only thing I've heard has been reliability issues with the bulbs if I remember correctly. I do remember seeing them when they first hit the market and thought they looked pretty good. I'm putting off a TV purchase though until HD becomes the norm and the prices drop a bit.

Just curious.....Not really needing any advice just a few opinions. ;)
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited May 2006
    I bought a 55in model in December and I love it. The picture is great and I have had no issues with the bulb. And since there is always someone home, my set is on at least 16 hours daily. I have no buyers remorse on this one. By the way, HD is sick on this thing, you'll love it.:p
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2006
    I made the unfortunate mistake of trying out one of these sets a few months ago (based on Maurice's suggestion and a visit to a local dealer). All the reviews raved about PQ but said that the bulb life sucked.

I can say that the PQ was terrible. Macroblocking and major pixelation. Avoid this JVC set!

If you want LCOS Sony's SXRD is far and away the best out there right now but a Mitsubishi DLP runs a close second IMO.

I ended up with a Sony KDF-E50A10 (the SXRD and Mitsubishi DLP were out of my price range) and I'm very happy with it. Sony has introduced its successor - the KDF-E50200, so prices on the E50A10 will probably start dropping.

Best of luck :) just avoid the JVC HDILA LCOS TV's!!! :mad:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Maurice
    edited May 2006
    Sorry about your bad experience halo, but that sure hasn't been the case for me. I'm curious what type of video feed you used. I switched from Directv to digital cable and my pq is excellent. To each his own, but my JVC is gettin it done in spades!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2006
    I agree the JVC does have some blocking issues, but people by and large love them. I have seen a few premature lamp failures out the hundreds my store has sold. It is probably a similar percentage to the other manufacturers. I tend to have soured on the whole microdisplay catagory at this point, with plasma prices dropping as much as they have. The new Toshiba and Panasonic 50" plasmas are only $3299-3499 at regular prices, so what's another grand over a microdisplay when you don't have to eff with the lamps at all and they last so long and the picture is better anyway?
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited May 2006
    I really like the JVC's. If cost were not an issue for me, I'd bypass the Sony SXRD and go for the JVC pro 61" DILA. They are very nice televisions and picture quality is on par or above the Sony, and usually cheaper.

Where did you end up getting the television at Landry?
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • halo
    edited May 2006
    Maurice wrote:
    Sorry about your bad experience halo, but that sure hasn't been the case for me. I'm curious what type of video feed you used. I switched from Directv to digital cable and my pq is excellent. To each his own, but my JVC is gettin it done in spades!!!!!
    I was using a DirecTV SD receiver and an ariel on the roof for HD. The only thing that looked good on that JVC set were DVD's through a Denon DVD-1920. Maybe I got a bad set or something. I'm glad you are happy with your JVC.

The first thing we tried was a Mitsubishi 52" LCD and I couldn't stand the screen door or the slow channel changes. Then the JVC and my wife (and I) hated the PQ. Finally we got the Sony and have been pretty happy.

There is no perfect TV out there - not in my price range that is.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2006
    we have JVC at my store and as stated in another thread today, I wouldn't take one if it was given to me. Pixelation is horrible, colors would be more accurate if they were drawn on with crayons, when you get a bright image, you can't get any detail (watch a game of hockey and see how many players have sticks not to mention no blue/red lines) and the OEM bulb will die in under 4 months. They claim to have the best color... yeah to someone with 20/400 vision. No offense man and I'm sorry you purchased it already but you really should've went with a Sony. The SXRD is the best TV on the market bar none but if it's out of your range, the 50A10 is a phenominal tv for the price. The least amount of screen door yet the best colors/detail. Oh, and its bulb will last a while.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Maurice
    edited May 2006
    Halo, I almost bought a Sony 55in but the screen door effect on that one got to me. It looked really good in HD, but SD was pretty bad. But as we all know the sets arent set up well in most stores, and I was at Circuit City, so who the hell really knows! But I've been very pleased with my jvc, maybe I got a good one out of the bunch.

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • landry_p2000
    edited May 2006
    Thanks for the input guys.

• kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited May 2006
    Other than my first bulb dying prematurely (which JVC promptly replaced free of charge and which I am currently "tracking" it's longetivity), I absolutley love my 56" set.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • landry_p2000
    edited May 2006
    kberg wrote:
    Other than my first bulb dying prematurely (which JVC promptly replaced free of charge and which I am currently "tracking" it's longetivity), I absolutley love my 56" set.

I hope I get to enjoy mine as well. Maybe the newer TVs have better Bulbs...;) Hopefully I can get a good one like Maurice.:D

I will also buy an extra bulb just in case. I found them on the net for $199.99 each.

One more thing. Is this TV prone to burn-in?

• Maurice
    edited May 2006
    No burn in issues, helluva picture tho!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • landry_p2000
    edited May 2006
    okay good.

• Musophile
    Musophile Posts: 89
    edited May 2006
    There is one issue with the SXRD's in that I hear they do not have a true 1080p input as that format is still in court over some issues. It's 1080p native but it won't take the signal from an external source. Weird. Tell me if I'm wrong.
    Home Theater In Progress

Samsung 4272
    Denon 3910 Universal Player
    Anthem AVM-20
    Anthem Statement A5
    Fronts LSI-25
    Center LSI-C
    Surround LSI-FX
    Getting closer to complete!:D
  • jrlouie
    jrlouie Posts: 462
    edited May 2006
    I think you are correct. I think the word on the street is that Sony may be releasing a new set that accepts a 1080p signal this summer (June, July, or August).
  • bignorm
    bignorm Posts: 120
    edited May 2006
    I HAD NOTHING BUT BAD LUCK WITH THIS SET AND JVC CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS.....

After 6 weeks.....light engine failed, bulb burnt out, the SSE was horrible, macroblocking was bad, and to top it off the image was tilted 1/4 inch from right to left.

I traded it in for a Sony 55A20 and have not looked back...
    Eliab/Dave Abrams calibrated Panny
    Yamaha,Denon,Toshiba "in the rack"
    Polks all around
    SVS on the floor
  • halo
    edited May 2006
    I hope I get to enjoy mine as well. Maybe the newer TVs have better Bulbs...;) Hopefully I can get a good one like Maurice.:D

I will also buy an extra bulb just in case. I found them on the net for $199.99 each.

One more thing. Is this TV prone to burn-in?
    I hope you bought it local if you want to return it or exchange it and I hope you got an extended warrranty with it (that covers bulbs). If you didn't get a warranty go to JVC's website - they offer an extended warranty but it doesn't cover bulbs. It isn't easy to find but it's there and from what I remember it wasn't terribly expensive. Good luck, I really hope :) you get a "good one :rolleyes: ".
  • landry_p2000
    edited May 2006
    Me too. Thanks for the info. I read all of the bad things posted about the JVC HD-ILA sets, but I think the PQ, IMO was very good to excellent. I saw a demo of the Incredibles DVD, and it was just that "incredible". I am going with the Scientific Atlanta Hi-Def DVR from Time Warner cable tv.

Is the HDMI input that much better than component input?

• halo
    edited May 2006
    Is the HDMI input that much better than component input?
    That is what I use with the DVD player and the DVD player was the only source with good PQ on the JVC. Good luck :)
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited May 2006
    The Sony SXRD has had some bad units shipped out there as well, just look at the 11.000 post thread at AVS.
    Luckily I was one of the lucky ones and I can say that its a treat each time I sit down to a movie. Best picture out right now IMO.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2006
    we haven't had a single unit go bad at my store... WHEW!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • landry_p2000
    edited May 2006
    Got the TV in yesterday. This tv came with a warning sheet about the bulb, and it tells you how to lengthen the bulb life. Hopefully if I follw the instructions, it will last me a long time. The PQ is breath taking from a dvd. I watched TROY last night and have no complaints. I will not play video games on this one since my 51" Panasonic is in the master bed room now. Thanks for the input and opinions fellas.

• landry_p2000
    edited May 2006
    I explained the operation to my kids, and the price of the replacement bulb, and they all said "we will let you turn it on".

• opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited May 2006
    I explained the operation to my kids, and the price of the replacement bulb, and they all said "we will let you turn it on".

Just curious, what are the highlights of how to extend the bulb life? And congrats on the set. I always thought they were one of the better looking sets from an aesthetic standpoint. Enjoy:)
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • landry_p2000
    edited May 2006
    Thanks a lot. I am really enjoying it.

The manual states that you should let the fan cool the bulb for at least 90 seconds before you attempt to turn it back on. There is also a lamp indicator light that flashes when the lamp fan is on. Once it stops flashing, then it is safe to turn it back on. Also, you should not turn it off as soon as you turn it on either. Sounds like a pain in the neck, but the PQ is worth it to save the bulb.