XRCD'S by JVC

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited September 2002 in Music & Movies
Does anyone know where they are sold other then the internet??

What about Tower???I'm thinking of stopping in there today.

Best Buy doesn't have em I looked and asked.

There is one XRCD I would like to get it's called"From The Streets"by Tom Coster.
This cd is funky Jazz.I have a XRCD sample disk and one of his songs are on it.It's killer funky with awesome dymanic's.Slab bass hard quick snappy drum and no voice.......real cool.

Hey got another question......anyone know of any good Funky Jazz bands????Not smooth jazz, but funky upbeat stuff.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I've never seen any in stores. You can order direct from JVC at www.xrcd.com or 866.682.9723, all cd's are $30.00 and shipping is free.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I just remembered that Red Trumpet in York, PA carries them, call 877.733.8766 for directions.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Never heard of this format. Very interesting. I am a sucker for new software. Too bad the very limited titles can be heard at my local Burger King restroom. $30 bucks just for the sampler. That is no way to get your software OUT there.
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    XRCD is real close to sound quality of SACD 2 channel.

Much better recording,sounds real nice.I learned of the XRCD'S at Home E last year and I couldn't believe the difference in sound quality over the orignal cd.

JVC's tech feels that most cd's are recorded poorly.He found a way to clean them up,from the orginal master tape.Very cool fi your looking for better sounding disks.

30 bucks....yeah it's alot but you just gotta hear it go....and will play in any cd player.....how nice no need for new gear.......or is it?
    Dan
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Say mantis,

You can get them on line from; www.amusicdirect.com
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Dan,

Here's a funky jazz cd for you, The Soft Tones Of Acid Jazz issued on Scotti Bros. label catalog # 72392 75257-2. This one will give the woofers/subs a real work out. Also, from JVC XRCD2 Hong Kong import only is The Eagles/Hell Freezes Over & Dire Straits/Brothers In Arms @ $39.99 each. Awesome! The XRCD2 cd's are a improvement over the XRCD issues. Musicdirect has the imports.

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    very cool.Gotta get my buy on.
    Dan
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Where's the Disturbed? Man, I'm bummed.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Scott,

I didn't see any Kenny G on XRCD ;)

Seriously, they issued some rock stuff early on, but found too many people interested in that area of music had your attitude. The people who understand the value of audiophile cd's usually buy jazz, classical and blues recordings. One of the problems MFSL & DCC had was people balking at a cd that cost $24.99, but if you ever bought one you would understand it's worth every penny. Why buy the best gear that you can and then play crappy redbook recordings on it???

Just my 2 cents.....

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2002
    Options
    There is also a 20-bit remastering format called K2, found on the recent reissues of the original Creedence Clearwater Revival albums. It is a JVC technique, but does not result in discs costing $30. The two CDs I have, Green River & Bayou Country, sound very good. They cost the same as other red book CDs.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    bottom line.........want better sound?Willing to pay for it?
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Options
    On these audiophile grade cd's the retail cost is based not only on the production cost, but also the licensing fees and those fees can be hefty. Of benefit to all from the efforts of MFSL, DCC, etc. is that it got the major record labels to reissue alot of remastered stuff and while not as good as MFSL & DCC, it's still better than the original releases. I must add to this that the new Rolling Stones reissues on dual layer SACD sound awesome, the result of using the original masters and DSD. A SACD without the benefit of DSD is only marginally better than standard, but with DSD....man, it's like being born again.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Options
    XRCD's on sale for $21.99 at www.amusicdirect.com until Oct. 15th. Get your buy on. :cool:

President of Club Polk

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    bottom line.........want better sound?Willing to pay for it?

may not to worry about that too much...the retail price on SACD and DVD-A just drop down to $17 on most of the titles...:cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2002
    Options
    can XRCD discs be played on any CD player or do you need a XRCD player? I didn't find any info on the JVC website. also.. these sound a lot like HDCD... with the 20bit mastering. I didn't notice a big increase in quality when listening to HDCD's. but i'm willing to give XRCD's a LQQK. anything to give me better sound. Im still impressed with DVD-A sound quality.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Options
    DB,

Yes, you can play them on any cd player and as mantis stated they come very close in sound quality to SACD, better than HDCD. The down side for you is that they are 2 channel only.

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I don't think thats a down side......but a up side!!!!!!
    Dan
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    Options
    So mantis did you find the XRCD's in a local store? If so how much
    are they going for ?
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death