Starter Tube Preamp

Options
BSUfbfan
BSUfbfan Posts: 201
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
OK, so I bought an Aragon 4004 MKII amplifier, hooked it up and the sound is MUCH improved. Now it's time to buy a tube preamp. I will be looking at used CJ or Audio Research, or new JuicyMusic Merlin or Dared SL-2000.

Any thoughts? Want to spend @ $600, so I am leaning toward the Merlin or buying a broken CJ that a guy is selling on ebay and CJ CS told me that they will fix it and upgrade it for $400 which would put it around my budget.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Mike
SDA SRS 2.3
Post edited by BSUfbfan on

Comments

• jfb4548
    jfb4548 Posts: 168
    edited March 2006
    Options
    BSUfbfan wrote:
    OK, so I bought an Aragon 4004 MKII amplifier, hooked it up and the sound is MUCH improved. Now it's time to buy a tube preamp. I will be looking at used CJ or Audio Research, or new JuicyMusic Merlin or Dared SL-2000.

Any thoughts? Want to spend @ $600, so I am leaning toward the Merlin or buying a broken CJ that a guy is selling on ebay and CJ CS told me that they will fix it and upgrade it for $400 which would put it around my budget.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Mike

Don't over look the Dodd ELP. It is within your price range and I can tell you it is so much more then a starter pre. I'm not sure Gary is offering them new anymore? I replace a really good solid state pre with an ELP and it was a massive improvement.
  • BSUfbfan
    edited March 2006
    Options
    jfb4548 wrote:
    Don't over look the Dodd ELP. It is within your price range and I can tell you it is so much more then a starter pre. I'm not sure Gary is offering them new anymore? I replace a really good solid state pre with an ELP and it was a massive improvement.

I'll do some research on it, thanks.

Mike
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2006
    Options
    If you can go higher, my MLP is still available......first and last pre-amp you'll need....

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=430453#post430453

Nice Bump :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Dodd is thee Entry Level Pre. Built right here in Texas. Conrad Johnson is great gear either will do you up fine, but I would lean toward's the new Dodd for starters.

RT1
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ckpiv
    ckpiv Posts: 35
    edited March 2006
    Options
    HT

I might be interested in your MLP. I have sent you an email. Let me know if it is still available and if you still want to let it go.

ckpiv
    2 ch rig:
    Parasound Halo A21 amp
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audiophilleo 2
    Dodd Audio Tube Preamp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Mac Mini + Amarra, Audirvana Plus, Pure Music
    2TB External HD
    PS Audio P3
    Rotel RCD1072 cd player
    Polk SDA-SRS 2.3 Speakers
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Options
    If you get that MLP...you better be ready for perfection! The ELP wouldn't be a bad choice...but the MLP?! That's an awesome pre.

Hope ya get it!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ckpiv wrote:
    HT

I might be interested in your MLP. I have sent you an email. Let me know if it is still available and if you still want to let it go.

ckpiv

ckpiv,

Did not get any mail; PM'd you.
    (Let's talk this separately not to hijack this thread more...)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I've been wondering if these Audio Mirrors are any good

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1145755504

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1145757653

I'm happy with my Audio Experience tube pre- that I bought here from unc2701 but they don't come with remote unless they added one recently.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I will be "needing" a basic 2 channel preamp in the future and was thinking of trying the tube route. Prices seem pretty similiar. I have a jolida cd player that I am now happy with but probably still can be improved (thanks F1Nut). I am just wondering what the tube product will give me versus solid state? My multichannel processor (Sherwood/Newcastle p965) sounds pretty good in 2 channel but I will want a designated 2 channel preamp to take it to the next level. Thanks in advance.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • BSUfbfan
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I've been wondering if these Audio Mirrors are any good

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1145755504

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1145757653

I'm happy with my Audio Experience tube pre- that I bought here from unc2701 but they don't come with remote unless they added one recently.

That's a good question. Hopefully someone has experience with these Preamps. I have read a lot of positive feedback on the Dodd ELP, so I have emailed him to see if he can add remote volume to the unit. I would imagine that it would then be retailed closer to $700 (normal retail $450) and would be a very attractive option.
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • scottyf
    scottyf Posts: 129
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Score yourself a Counterpoint preamp. 3.1's can be had for $4-500, 3000 for $4-700, 5.1's for $7-800. Enjoy it for a while and save some money up. Then ship it off to Mike Elliott at Alta Vista Audio and have him radically improve it. He has made my 3000 the best sounding preamp that I, or anyone else in my circle, has ever heard. And apparently, he can make the 5.1 even better.

I just got my 3000 back from Mike and am just SWIMMING in awesome sound. I might be a bit delirious, so if I'm raving, that's probably the reason.

http://www.altavistaaudio.com/

HOME: VPI Classic/Grado Reference Master, EVS-modified Oppo BP83, Bryston DAC, Counterpoint 3000/SA-100 modified by Alta Vista, Polk LSi15

TRUCK: Pioneer 8600MP, Soundstream 300SX, pr of Xtant 1001i, Autotek SS490.2, Polk SR6500, Polk MMC6500, pr of Polk MM2084DVC
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options
    If you're going to be using it with a SS amp, check the input impedance of your amp and output impedance for the pre first. Find one that's closer to your amp. Mis-matched imp can cause a loud buzz or hum. If you get this problem, you can always have a techie install the proper value resistors at the amps input.

As for your pre amp, you've gotten great reccommendations here. I can't think of any other to add.
  • BSUfbfan
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I actually ended up getting an Acurus RL-11 Preamp (built by Aragon/Mondial just like my amplifier) and a Tube CD player. Just breaking it in, but the sound is just what I was looking for. The Noise floor on the amp/preamp is amazingly low, and the Tube CD has the warm, detailed sound just like I was hoping.

I couldn't be happier, and am truly amazed at the sound out of these little SDA-CRS's.

I'll upgrade the speaks someday if a pair of SRS2's show up in my neck of the woods, but for now i am loving it.:D
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Kick ****! Glad to hear everything is good. Enjoy the tubes:cool:.

How's your Sheng Ya? What kind of tubes does it use? I almost bought one but ended up getting something else. What were you using as a source before the tubed cdp?
  • BSUfbfan
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I was using a Denon DVD/CD player. I was pretty sure it was the weak point of the system, and boy was it ever.

I love the Sheng Ya, it is built like a tank, and the quality of the internal components is amazing. It came with (1)12AU7 tube and (1) 6922 Philips tube. I have already ordered an upgraded RCA Cleartop 12AU7 tube and Amperex & Matsushita 6922's. Let the tube rolling begin....:)
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Sweet. Tube rolling is the bomb. Remember to let them break in for at least 50hrs before critical listening.

I can't wait for my cdp to get here. It will be the first time I hear a tubed output cdp.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2006
    Options
    BSUfbfan wrote:
    I was using a Denon DVD/CD player. I was pretty sure it was the weak point of the system, and boy was it ever.

I love the Sheng Ya, it is built like a tank, and the quality of the internal components is amazing. It came with (1)12AU7 tube and (1) 6922 Philips tube. I have already ordered an upgraded RCA Cleartop 12AU7 tube and Amperex & Matsushita 6922's. Let the tube rolling begin....:)
    Glad to hear things are working out for you :)

Did you try any room treatments yet?

McAlister's new pre design may be an excellent choice for you. SQ is outstanding. You know I wouldn't steer you wrong ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • BSUfbfan
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Haven't tried any treatments yet, basically due to the fact that the ringing I was getting on certain songs went away with the addition of the tube CD player. I will do some eventually, but for now I am still trying to listen to all of my CD's again.

I hope to give some impressions on tube rolling soon, but first I need to find out where my tubes are. I ordered them about 3 weeks ago, so I will drop Andy an email.

I may upgrade to a tube preamp in the future, but for now I am quite pleased with my SS unit. I have bypassed it and run the tube CD strait to the amplifier, and there is very little sonic difference which leads me to believe that the preamp is not "coloring" the music. I have to leave the preamp installed however, because without it the system does not get quiet enough for listening in the evening (and I have no gain control on the amplifier). Plus, everytime I shut the tube CD player off and turn it back on, it resets itself to volume 26 (full volume)....:eek: scared the crap right out of me the next time I turned the system on and about blew myself out of the chair (ie. memorex guy :) ).
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Haha! I bet that was an experience, turning it on at full blast! :eek:

Glad you're happy with your system.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2006
    Options
    BSUfbfan wrote:
    I hope to give some impressions on tube rolling soon, but first I need to find out where my tubes are. I ordered them about 3 weeks ago, so I will drop Andy an email.
    Andy is a one man operation and he is performing a lot of tests on the tubes before they go out to you - the wait is normal. You end up with quality second to none IMO.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10