SDA SRS; 1.2s; 1.2TLS?

Options
76911 Posts: 13
edited April 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I just recently acheived my goal of purchasing a set of SDA-SRS speakers that happen to be the 1.2TLs. My first question is what is the main difference between the different models? Second, there is an upgrade to the 1.2TLs to make them better? Please give me a quick history lesson.
Post edited by 76911 on

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The search function works miracles in these types of situations.;)
    Give it a quick try. Welcome to the forum.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the Club, 76911...

As DK said there are history, cross-over upgrade and more threads a search or three away. Most of them contributed to heavily by DK. Also Polk sells a new replacement tweeter for your tl's original SL 3000 that many members have thought to be an improvement. But don't be in a hurry to mod/ upgrade/ replace. Search, read, listen (as in listen to your new speakers), enjoy.

For a hardcopy reference on SDA's, if you ask DK real nice, he might sell you one. raife, I trust that you still have some.... yes?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    congrats 76911 on your aquiring your SRS's. You'll enjoy them. Sorry i can't be of more help...but there are lots of people in here who can.

welcome too to Club Polk.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    For a hardcopy reference on SDA's..........I trust that you still have some.... yes?

Ummmm......no. I sold out over a year ago. Off and on, I have been working on the second edition. If I don't have any more unforseen, life changing events, it should be available in a few months...maybe sooner.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited April 2006
    Options
    76911 wrote:
    I just recently acheived my goal of purchasing a set of SDA-SRS speakers that happen to be the 1.2TLs. My first question is what is the main difference between the different models? Second, there is an upgrade to the 1.2TLs to make them better? Please give me a quick history lesson.
    76911:
    Since this is a dream I assume you have been a Polk fan for some time. The 1.2TL's are a gem for sure. You may want to spend a little time getting acquainted with them before you get on the upgrade train. They are wonderful even in their stock configuration.
    Here is a link to info on the older Polk models from the main Polk speakers vintage product pages.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/search/older.php
    Give them some time stock, that way you will have a better idea what you acheive if you do upgrade as you will have a firm reference of the original sound to go on.
    There are upgrades, particularly the crossover and to a lesser extent, the interconnect cable, and DK is very knowlegeable on the series.
    Welcome to the club, and enjoy one of the finest speakers Polk ever made.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Ummmm......no. I sold out over a year ago. Off and on, I have been working on the second edition. If I don't have any more unforseen, life changing events, it should be available in a few months...maybe sooner.

Hope that second edition sees the light soon, Raife! The first one is a "must have" for all SDA enthusiasts. I was having an identity crisis as to whether mine were 1.2's or original SRS's since their serial numbers began with SDA SRS 5330 (no 1.2 in there). You pointed out that some early production 1.2's did not have the "1.2" designation in the serial number. That info and (thanks to Ken at Polk CS) pulling one of the mid woofers to see "1.2" stamped on the back verified that they are indeed 1.2's. Just an example of how valuable that compendium is! :)

Thanks again for all that great info and please let us know when the second editon is ready! :)

Robbie
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited April 2006
    Options

That's great news! I will be looking for the compendium when it comes available. Will you have it in pdf form or hardcopy?
    Carl

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    While a V2.0 would be cool, take some orders, grab the CD-ROM it's on and trot on down to Kinko's.

Being an engineer you should be able to both do that and handle life-stuff at the same time... If not, it's time to turn in your PE badge... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    76911 Posts: 13
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thanks for all the inputs. I became a Polk Audio fan when stationed in Guam back in 1985. I actually scheduled a long enough lay over in San Francisco to drive down town and audition the SRS series. Unfortunately being in the Air Force I settled on the SDA-CRS model since I was moving every 3-4 years. I just finished building my retirement home and dug in to buy the best. I've also added a set of SDA 1Cs and a set of SDA 2Bs to my collection. Call me crazy, but I just wanted to be able to appreciate the full spectrum of speakers. I'm currently at Fairchild Air Force Base in Washington and look forward to retiring in February 2008 and returning to my home in Ohio with a dedicated hometheater/music studio where I can place my SDAs in optimum positioning to escape from the world.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Whereabouts in OH? Cleveland 'burbs native here...

Being as how I own SRS's, 3.1tl's and CRS+'s plus six or seven different Monitor models plus RTA12's I think I'll have to leave the "crazy" calling to someone else.

And for a fellow Buckeye, here's a leg up on your searching...
    [URL="[url]http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7139&highlight=history[/url]"]SDA History[/URL]

More History

SDA Hierarchy

Matt Polk on SDA's

Binding Post Upgrade

The Definitive SDA Mod's Thread

.. and there's more...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli