CSi 5 Problem. Just purchased.

Options
Paul in Canada
Paul in Canada Posts: 178
edited April 2006 in Troubleshooting
I set my CSi5 up on top of my tv and it sounds great but the speaker seems to be turning the upper right hand corner of the tv green. Some advice would be greatly apperciated. I know the CSi5 is magnetically shielded and the color does go away when the CSi5 is removed.
Polk RTi 8's
Polk CSi 5
FXIA4"s
Outlaw Audio M200 x2
Denon AVR 2805
Sony CDP C345
Paradigm PW2200 Sub
Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08
Post edited by Paul in Canada on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Anything rattling around inside the speaker? Could be one of the bucking magnets came loose in transit.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Paul in Canada
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I don't hear anything rattling around at all in side the speaker.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hello Paul,
    It is possible one of the driver shielding cups has become dislodged and has been "captured" by the magnet on the other tweeter or driver. To check this remove the grille cover and take out one of the 6.5" drivers. You'll need a 9/64th Allen wrench to remove the screws holding it. This will let you look inside the cabinet and see if anything looks out-of-place.
    Regards, Ken
  • gyusher
    gyusher Posts: 77
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Turn your TV on and off a few times and see if it compensates. Mine did the same thing only it was green after I lifted the CS5 off of it after using it a few months. . .You can also place a piece of cold roll steel under the speaker to help shield it. . .

Now I use LCD so no more worries. . .
  • Paul in Canada
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hello Paul,
    It is possible one of the driver shielding cups has become dislodged and has been "captured" by the magnet on the other tweeter or driver. To check this remove the grille cover and take out one of the 6.5" drivers. You'll need a 9/64th Allen wrench to remove the screws holding it. This will let you look inside the cabinet and see if anything looks out-of-place.
    Regards, Ken

Thanks for your response Ken. Will removing the driver my self void my warranty. I purchased the CSi5 at a Future Shop. I did removing the outside ring that surrounds the driver but after that was removed the driver was still stuck in there pretty well and I didn't want to do any damage trying to pry it out. Is there an easy way to get the driver out? Your help is greatly appreciated. I would really like to get this thing set up. The little while I used it, it sounded great.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    While you may want to wait for a reply from KEN, trust me, he's never instruct you to do anything that would void your warranty.

As for the stuck driver, first I'd try the other ones and see if they released more easily. Once inside you should be able to pop out any one that's stuck from the backside.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Paul in Canada
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    While you may want to wait for a reply from KEN, trust me, he's never instrust you to anything that would void your warranty.

As for the stuck driver, first I'd try the other ones and see if they released more easily. Once inside you should be able to pop out any one that's stuck from the backside.

Thank you very much for your help. You were right. I remove the other driver first and then it was easy to get the other one out. I now have both drivers out and have no idea what I am looking for, both drivers look the same to me. Any more advice. Thanks in advance. Paul
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2006
    Options
    You're welcome.

If you cannot see the magnets on the MW's, then the shielding cups Ken mentioned are in place. Suggest you pop out the tweeter as well and have a look.

I took a look through the product info pages hoping to come across an exploded view of a shielded MW, but had no luck. So best I can suggest is for you to do is give Ken a call Monday.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hello Paul,
    Your warranty will be fine, the speakers are designed to be pretty modular, coming apart and going back together easily. What you will be looking for will be two metallic cups that enclose the magnets of the 6.5" drivers. These should be firmly in place and not loose. Then the tweeter will be a little different. Instead of a metal cup it will have a small magnet, called a "bucking magnet" attached to rear of the tweeter. Here again, it should be firmly in place and could, possibly, have become knocked off of the tweeter and since it is a magnet it could be attached to any piece of metal inside the cabinet.
    Regards, Ken
  • Paul in Canada
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The drivers and tweeter are fine. The problem coming from the very front right hand side of the unit. If I spin the unit around on the tv and pull it out until it is just sitting on the edge of the tv it does affect the other side of the tv. I spoke to someone at customer service this A.M. and he told me to swap drivers around to see if it affects the other side of the tv or that maybe having the unit a couple of inches from the tv may help. I don't know how swapping the divers was going to help, but.... I remove the drivers again and tried to do what customer service said and swap the drivers but the wires were not slidding off like I was told so I called again and was told to give them a good yank and they would come off. That didn't sound like very good advice so I guess I'm going to pack it up and send it back. It has been a dissappointing purchase but thanks for your help.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"