Securing custom box to vehicle

kenstewart
kenstewart Posts: 139
edited April 2007 in Custom Fabrication
I'm going to build my own box and amp racks for two subs and two amps to go behind the seat of my Explorer Sport Trac. What's the recommended method for securing the box ... screw into the back panel (metal) of the cab? I've seen some say velcro (or glue ... don't want to do that) but will it be strong enough? I do want to be able to remove it when necessary.
Eclipse CD8445 HU
Image Dynamics CXS54 Chameleons component setup
Two 8" Image Dynamics ID8D2v.3 subs
MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
MTX MXA3002 2-channel amp for comps
Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
Stinger and Knukoncpetz wiring
Post edited by kenstewart on

Comments

• kenstewart
    edited March 2006
    Lot of people looking but not responding :) I really don't want to drill into the vehicle, so was wondering if some strong, wide-banded velcro would work. My idea is to screw the bottom part of the enclosure into a panel, but then secure the top part of the enclosure to the back via velcro or other similar method. The back seat would then fold to conceal everything but I don't want it to vibrate and mess w/the sound.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited March 2006
    I think the weight of the MDF box + subs + amps should be enough to keep the box in place...
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    way wrong... is the weight of your body enough to keep you in place around a tight corner? hardly... you definitely need a securing system of some kind, but short of putting a couple bolts through the enclosure into the sheet metal, i don't know of any ways to do this...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited March 2006
    that's a bad comparison Neo, if you were 2ft wide, 1.5ft tall (and 10-15 in depth, like a box), 150 lbs & carpeted all around you will barely move in a car... as long as the floor inside the car is also carpeted.

But I see where you're coming from...
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    hardly... maybe if you drive like my grandma, but if you drive like me, nothing short of hardened steel will keep a box in place... pull a full lateral g and tell me your box didn't move, then i might believe you...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    I actually finished the box and didn't have to screw it in. Measured carefully and with the sound deadening material and vinyl, it fits very snug. Took some pics at dusk so they're not the greatest yet, but here it is anyway. This is my first time building an enclosure but it's done and my IDs sound incredible so guess I did ok. Still need to tune it with current Polks, then retune when I get my new components.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    looks like good stuff, nicely done!

• kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    Thanks neo :)
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    Looks nice :).

I would secure that box down with some bolts/screws as Neo stated. You never know what can happen in an accident, and a box is not something you want flying around in your cabin. A person's skull is not as strong as you might think when subjected to a strong blow.....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    It's behind the rear seats of an Explorer Sport Trac, meaning it has nowhere to go in case of an accident since it sits very tight behind the seats. The seats were down for the photos.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    I know, but I would still bolt them down. That's just me though, I like to be on the safe side :). Another thing is that if anyone tried to permanently borrow your gear, it would be harder for them to do it without asking....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    I know, but I would still bolt them down. That's just me though, I like to be on the safe side :). Another thing is that if anyone tried to permanently borrow your gear, it would be harder for them to do it without asking....
    ken - i didn't comment on the lack of a secure connection because i saw how wedged-in the box was, but this is another very good reason to do so...

• kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    Agree, valid point there.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • ridered300trx
    ridered300trx Posts: 3
    edited April 2006
    I too have a Sport Trac and would like to do that same thing. Is there any way you could send the plans to me?
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    Sure I can ridered, but will have to wait until the weekend since I'm out of town and have the plans on another computer. Just to clarify what you said, you want to do a dual enclosure and the amp setup like mine? Need to know what subs you have and I'll plug them into Probox to check the volume you need for your subs. Real quick dimensions for the sub enclosure is: 36" wide, top depth 3.5", bottom depth 7". Used 3/4" MDF.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • ridered300trx
    ridered300trx Posts: 3
    edited April 2006
    I have 1 MB Quart PWE 252 I have an Alpine MRD-M605 on the way. Whenever you get a chance to send plans is fine im not in a big hurry but I would like to finish it as soon as possible.
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    Hmmm, just a thought but you might want to ask some of these guys about mixing subs. I don't know for sure, but a lot of forums I've been on suggest it's bad to mix different subs. Either way, I'll check out specs for you but do check on this site and others like caraudio and elitecaraudio to be sure before you mix them.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    great job nice install and good looking box. my friend has his subox welded to the bed of his truck aint noone gonna steal it
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    the mrd-m605 is an amp :p

• kenstewart
    edited April 2006
    LOL, thanks neo ... haha, I just automatically "assumed" ... shouldn't have done that. :)
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • Zorac
    Zorac Posts: 12
    edited April 2006
    looks good!! i used velcro to secure my sub box, its behind a seat and not in a spot where it would fly into my head if i were to crash! :P
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    true but your back might hurt alittle bit more though
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited April 2006
    In my Silverado I glued a 1/2" panel of MDF to my back wall with silicone. Then mounted everything to it. I haven't had any issues since installing it 6 years ago....
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • pancho681
    pancho681 Posts: 6
    edited August 2006
    Just FYI guys

I started using these really cool threaded inserts I got from a company called McMaster Carr. They are basically threaded rivets that work really well. I think the commercial name is nutserts.

All you do is drill a hole anywhere you need to screw something down(hehe I said screw!) Install the the nutsert with the insert tool and viola you can now mount your baseboard to it

Hope this helps
  • scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited August 2006
    pancho681 wrote:
    Just FYI guys

I started using these really cool threaded inserts I got from a company called McMaster Carr. They are basically threaded rivets that work really well. I think the commercial name is nutserts.

All you do is drill a hole anywhere you need to screw something down(hehe I said screw!) Install the the nutsert with the insert tool and viola you can now mount your baseboard to it

Hope this helps

McMaster is a great company. I buy from them weekly. McMaster
    There are knock-offs, but Penn Engineering makes high quality studs. PEM
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • shafe
    shafe Posts: 1
    edited April 2007
    Nice installation, Ken. (I'd put a "thumbs-up" emoticon here, if I could locate one!)
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited April 2007
    I like to secure mine for one reason, Theft and accidents nylock nuts thru the floor or walls using obscure places for the fasteners, also stuff like locking the seat so it wont tilt forward or say up if its quad cab if they cant get to it they cant get it. Just mho though....oh yes looks very clean nicely done
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables