Sound Dampening

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
hello all -

I was at work today and i noticed that we've got a new product in stock... spray on sound dampening made by g-sport/sport or something like that.. anyways.. i was debating whether or not i should use this as an alternative to dynamat. it seems to have the same propertys as traditional dynamat would(converting vibrations into low level thermal energy).

So what i guess i'm asking, is should i use this stuff or stick with what i know? i ask because i imagine it would be easier, as well as cost effective.

Thanks in advance
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, it would be a lot easier to install but I dont think it would be better or even as good as. A spray on film just doesnt seem like it could dampen vibrations as well as a big thick sheet of Dynamat.

It wouldnt hurt to use it tho, and it would be good for hard to reach areas. Overall Im sure it would work fine but I think an actual sheet of dampening would be better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Yeah, it would be a lot easier to install but I dont think it would be better or even as good as. A spray on film just doesnt seem like it could dampen vibrations as well as a big thick sheet of Dynamat.

It wouldnt hurt to use it tho, and it would be good for hard to reach areas. Overall Im sure it would work fine but I think an actual sheet of dampening would be better.
    agreed...i would get dynamat first and for all the places you couldnt get it into, use the spray stuff
    when i get my new truck, ill be using spray and then second skin(equivalent of dynamat) on top
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Kschultz76
    Kschultz76 Posts: 59
    edited July 2004
    I'd highly recommend using Second Skin Damplifier over Dynamat, it is way cheaper and works awesome, and in my experience with Dynamat the Damplifier sticks way way better and is easier to mold and work around the metal of your car.
  • finfin
    finfin Posts: 11
    edited May 2005
    Second skin seems very expensive. Has anyone tried Edead? It's a dollar a square foot. See it at: http://www.edesignaudio.com/category.php?type=damp&cur=USD
  • finfin
    edited May 2005
    I also ntice that you mentioned spray coat and then a mat on top. I'm pretty new to this stuff but I think the recommended way is to mat then spray on top (if you want both) I think there is a problem getting the mat to stick to the sprayed or painted on material... at least thats what I read at one place. Does anyone know of an instructional site for showing a step by step on proper application?
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2005
    EDead is about the equivalent to spray paint. if you want liquid deadener i very much recommend second skin's V3. its extremely cheap, works very well, and much easier to apply than mat
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by ED sucks
    EDead is about the equivalent to spray paint. if you want liquid deadener i very much recommend second skin's V3. its extremely cheap, works very well, and much easier to apply than mat
    -Cody
    Plus, pound for pound, SecondSkin's sprays work better than the mats. The only think I would use a mat for is plastic panels, or something that the spray won't stick to.

According to Ant, the owner, when I talked to him, Spray vs. Mat, the spray dampens better than mat when applied in the same thickness, costs less, and is easier to fit in cracks, tight spots, etc. Unless you really don't want to paint the stuff on, get the spray.

-Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • finfin
    edited May 2005
    I didn't see a product on Second skin's site called V3. I saw spectrum, which appears to be the only liquid. There is also one called sludge that they call a putty. V3 is Edead's liquid. Spay certainly seems like it would be easier. has anyone tried the sludge stuff?
  • finfin
    edited May 2005
    I've been reading on thier site (Second Skin) about Installation and testimonials. They apparently do have a "V3" although it's not mentioned in the products section. how much does a gallon of liquid cover? I have a LOT of road noise and I'm sick of it. Still 30 dollars a gallon is a lot of money... on a car with 230,000 miles on it. I think I'll go for the peel-n-seal and use the expensive stuff on my next car... if I ever get another one.
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2005
    The V3 is the sludge. Same thing. $30 for a gallon is a great price. A gallon of sludge is roughly equivalent to 40 sq ft of mat, IIRC.
    -Austin

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • finfin
    edited May 2005
    I think the sludge was $99.00 / gal.
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2005
    You can get Spectrum here: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/products/specials.php
    That's v.2 for $30/gal.
    The V.3 (Sludge) is $50/gal. They work the same in equal thicknesses, the sludge is just thicker, so it takes less time to apply.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • finfin
    edited May 2005
    Can you use this stuff (spectrum or Sludge) under the hood? I was thinking specifically the from wheel wells and maybe the firewall.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2005
    e-mail Ant.... he will know what's best.

V3 is the sludge and a gallon is a ton when it comes to this ****.

just remember you get what you pay for...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by finfin
    Can you use this stuff (spectrum or Sludge) under the hood? I was thinking specifically the from wheel wells and maybe the firewall.
    yes. the sludge is supposed to be a little better than the original. it can be put on the hood and on the fender wells. I have 5 gallons and I'll probably be buying 1 more gallon later on. I'm doing my truck which is a extended cab gmc truck and im doing the floor, walls, headliner, hood, and fender wells.
    -Cody
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2005
    cody what the f...

thought you were getting a new ride?!

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited May 2005
    the ride i will be getting is an extended cab gmc truck...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    I just found this. What is this Edead stuff? $1 / square foot?!?!?! Jesus! Thats dirt cheap. I wonder how good it really is? I mean, 4 square feet of Dynamat if nearly $40!!!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    im not sure but for a dollar a square foot it must be made out of pure water with some foodcloloring in it and some elmers glue
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    Yeah. I was looking for something cheap to cover my door panels with. Ive already got a healthy amount of Dynamat on them but still have a few noisey panels so I thought Id try something cheap like Peel & Seal to add some mass to them and hopefull finish off my buzzing panels.

• 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    if im not mistakin isnt that roofing stuff
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2006
    wow this thread is old. I wrote my last reply like a year ago.
    Yes, Peal 'n' Seal is roofing stuff. All it's good for is adding mass. It's just basically asphalt with adhesive. It doesn't stick very well, so I'd never put it on doors. Maybe to fix rattles on a floor or something, but it's not a vibration damper. It isn't elastomeric, just asphalt.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    OK. Thats good to know. I figured there had to be a catch. Still, Im going to look into that Edead stuff.

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    Hey Mac, are the door panels themselves buzzing or the metal on the doors? I am going to be using this foam stuff that will be sandwiched between my door, which has Dynamat Extreme on it, and my door panel. This stuff is supposed to help with panel rattles.

This one is called RattlePad from Second Skin:
    http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?pg=4&p=ps
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited April 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    I just found this. What is this Edead stuff? $1 / square foot?!?!?! Jesus! Thats dirt cheap. I wonder how good it really is? I mean, 4 square feet of Dynamat if nearly $40!!!

Stay away from this product!! I just took mine off my trunk lid yesterday because it wouldnt stick & kept falling off. What sucks is I bought the 100+sqft of the stuff & have only gotten around to using 1/4 of that. I used brownbread 2 years ago on my other car & it was great but the price went up so I decided to try this out, big mistake. On second thought it might be ok for floor pans or any other application where it doesnt have to support its own weight.
  • jderdock
    jderdock Posts: 131
    edited April 2006
    Hey Mac, are the door panels themselves buzzing or the metal on the doors? I am going to be using this foam stuff that will be sandwiched between my door, which has Dynamat Extreme on it, and my door panel. This stuff is supposed to help with panel rattles.

This one is called RattlePad from Second Skin:
    http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?pg=4&p=ps

That's sort of what i'm looking for. However, I'm sure these fine folks are buying this from somewhere in bulk, putting a marketing spin on it and charging 2x for it. My question: where is the Home Depot-style alternative of this?
    Rega P3 > Parasound Zphono > NAD C320BEE > Polk LSi 15
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    Well you could try Dynamat, but their version is more expensive. Their version is called Dynaliner. They did have it on sale at Sounddomain, but when I clicked on it they were out of stock at the time. I believe it was going fro $25 dollars at that time. Would be interesting to see if there is a cheaper alternative.

http://www.sounddomain.com/shoplist~b~Dynamat~t~Damping+Accessories
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    edited April 2006
    doesnt that name ring a bell macleod?

eDead...eD...

yea, thats the crap that eD puts out thats really **** worthless. I hate everything eD, but their sound deadener is by far the worst. Search for eD and everytime i rant about them i mention the crap that is their sound deadener. Might as well go to home depot and buy a can of baby blue spray paint...and at least that will stick.

For your doors, you dont want to add mat. Most mats dont stick will to doors anyway. You need a closed cell foam. Google ensolite. That stuff is somewhat cheap, but really, any closed cell foam would work. The just get some 3M spray ahesive and apply it to your doors
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    Yeah, I recognied the name but for $1/ft2 I figured it was worth a look.

I have 85% of my buzzes taken care of now there are just a couple of trouble spots. At my last show I stuffed a jacket in the door pockets of my passenger door and that stopped the little vibes from it but I still had a little coming from the drivers door and the rear passenger door closest to the sub.

On the MECA SQ disc there is a track with a standup bass only and it is a great track for exposing buzzing panels. And that can cost you points.

That Second Skin stuff is just as expensive as Dynamat. 9 square feet for $55! I may just break down and look on Ebay for some Dynamat Original.

I wish Circuit City still carried the Tsunami Silencer speaker kits. It was 2 sheets of 12"x12" daming for $12. I used to go over there and buy one whenever I had some extra cash and some time on my hands. They never seem to have it anymore though.

• exalted512
    edited April 2006
    im telling you, dont put mat on your panels....it wont help
    -Cody