Receiver not recognizing speakers!

Options
critical_gp
critical_gp Posts: 84
edited April 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hey guys,

I have a question but cant find the answer anywhere on the net so...
I'm have R50s-fronts, R30s-rears, Sony (dont know the model) center chanel and PSW10 sub. Gotta love Fry's.
They are connected to Yamaha HTR5730 receiver with 16 gauge Aucostic Research speaker wire. For some unknown reason, the receiver only recognizes the fronts...however, there is sound coming out from the "unrecognized" speakers...the receiver does not see the them...how come?

My guess is that my DVD is not sending digital sound to the receiver...because Im using standard audio cables? I better be right because I just purchased Monster Digital Coaxial Cable online....so, when i receive it in about 7 days...I will set the DVD to send digital audio signals set the receiver again...and if it doesnt work, what are your sugestions?

Thank you for your time....
Audio system lost to water damage... :(
Post edited by critical_gp on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    In order to send a digital signal (5.1 or better) from the DVD player to the receiver you need a digital connection. This can be done with either a Toslink (fiber optic) or Digital Coax interconnect (normally the orange jack). Sounds like you might have the DVD player connected via a pair of analog interconnects only right now.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2006
    Options
    critical,

like you guessed and Frank mentioned. yeah it sounds like once you get your digital cable hooked up.. everything should be good and you should get sound from all speakers.;

In the meantime.. if your receiver has a Dolby Pro Logic setting, enable that.. and it should give you sound from all speakers. Pro logic in it's many forms will do a pretty good job of a 2 channel signal. The higher up the Pro Logic food chain you go.. the better it will sound.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited March 2006
    Options
    For some unknown reason, the receiver only recognizes the fronts...however, there is sound coming out from the "unrecognized" speakers...the receiver does not see the them...how come?
    what exactly do you mean by unrecognized? I am not familiar with the Yamaha receivers but with my Denon, the receiver did not "recognize" any of the speakers, there was a menu setting where you told the receiver which speakers you had hooked up.

as for why you are getting sound from those speakers, you probably have the dolby pro-logic enabled as danger boy suggested.
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited April 2006
    Options
    ...because Im using standard audio cables? I better be right because I just purchased Monster Digital Coaxial Cable online....so, when i receive it in about 7 days...
    [croutches low, to avoid the cable gods] Pssst ... one of those standard audio cables (with rca jacks), will usually work as a digital coaxial cable. While you are waiting for the one you ordered to arrive.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • critical_gp
    critical_gp Posts: 84
    edited April 2006
    Options
    mldennison wrote:
    what exactly do you mean by unrecognized? I am not familiar with the Yamaha receivers but with my Denon, the receiver did not "recognize" any of the speakers, there was a menu setting where you told the receiver which speakers you had hooked up.

as for why you are getting sound from those speakers, you probably have the dolby pro-logic enabled as danger boy suggested.

I tell my receiver that there are 2 front, 2 rear, center chanel and a sub....then i play a DVD that has Dolby or DTS....the receiver only sees(shows on the display) the front two and no other speakers. I get sound from all speakers when set to 5 chanel....meaning sound comes out of all speakers equaly at all times....when set to Dolby or ProLogic there is only echo...or noise.

Anyway...the cable came yesterday. I hooked it up and it worked. I could not even turn on Dolby Digital before. Now when I play a DVD that has Dolby....the dvd sends signals and the receiver shows all 5.1 speakers on the display and sounds amazing.

Thank you for the quick response
    Audio system lost to water damage... :(
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    critical, there you go! now just calibrate the levels on all speakers and sit back and enjoy.

good work bud.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: