crown amps ?

calw
calw Posts: 2
edited September 2002 in Electronics
Has anyone heard of/ or had experience with these power amps ? In particular ce 1000 ! They are cheap as far as price, but wondering about performance. Just looking for a little extra kick for my sda 1a's. Not looking for huge power. Any comments appreciated..thanks.
Post edited by calw on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited August 2002
    Crown amps are pro audio amps I think? Not really something you would want to setup in your home. If for some strange reason you do, go with QSC - they make much better stuff for only a little bit more cash.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2002
    The Carver pro PT or PM series amps are great for home audio.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited August 2002
    Pro amps are fine for home use, as my 1.2 TL's are bi-amped with the Carver PM series amps and kick a@$!!

I don't agree with QSC outperforming Crown amps having used both in my PA rig in my band days. The Crowns outperformed the QSC's hands down for live gigs and were a heavier duty amp, in my opinion. Never used either for home stereo, but I would think you could and not worry about damaging the amps.

The only thing is you would have to make adapters for the signal inputs because the pro line amps have only 1/4" or XLR balanced connectors on them.

Let us know how the Crown performs if you choose to go that route.

Peace
    Joe
  • deq15
    deq15 Posts: 56
    edited September 2002
    Crown is the premiere amp period especially for live PA. They NEVER die! actually had 3 QSC MX 1500's for a HT set up. its a little noisy - they arent designed for Home stuff. I got real and went with a carver AV 505 - 5 Ch. HT amp. yeah its only 80 W per ch but it is clean and quiet - no noise at all & plenty of balls because carver rates their stuff by USABLE power. I have a small room using polk audio SDA CRS+ all the way around.

If you go with the carver pm series (very nice stuff as well) be careful if you use any polk SDA stuff - they use a common "+" i think... a custom imaging cable is needed .
  • deq15
    edited September 2002
    I run into QSC stuff all the time - I dont like them and they are generally considered a cheap way out and a temporary situation...sorry. Carver has a rap for sounding best when they are full out and pushed to the limit. I like them though. Crown is hard to go wrong with it will definately last you FOREVER no matter what you do or where you go.
  • deq15
    edited September 2002
    Check this out if you are into a 2 Ch situation. This is an unreal machine and delivers much more power than the numbers say - I have one - had it for 15 years - nice!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1377515749
  • axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited September 2002
    If you go with the carver pm series (very nice stuff as well) be careful if you use any polk SDA stuff - they use a common "+" i think... a custom imaging cable is needed .

I have two "PM" series amps (PM-1.5t on the lows, and a PM-1200 on the tweets ) bi-amping my 1.2 TL's and they work great.
    The common ground is not a concern as Carver is set up that way, and I needed no custom cable to make it work.

Love the performance it gives and bi-amping definitly brings out more as far as SDA goes.

Peace,
    Joe
  • deq15
    edited September 2002
    cool pm's are creat
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2002
    at my work in the work out area they use qsc amps with a denon cd and pre amp in the pool we have a rusted out pice of junk everything is rusted and the humidity even killed the speakers
  • deq15
    edited September 2002
    I read this on another thread...

"One of the things that George and I talked about this weekend was using Carver and SDA. It would appear from George's literature (he sold Carver products for a while, with that damn fine butt of his) that the Carver m1.5t IS fo' sho' a non-common ground amp (I knew that) but it is also the ONLY non-common ground amp. So if you are using anything other than the m1.5t with your SDA's, you should be good to go.

BDT"

Common "+" MY BAD - DUH - i meant non common ground - ouch!