Speaker Stands-- fill w/sand or shot?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2002 in Speakers
Does anyone have a preference? If so, why?

Thanks. I'm lookin' around, not sure of a brand yet, but I want to be able to buy locally, so it will probably be Sanus or another fairly well-known brand. Will definitely get "fillable" stands, thus my question.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2002
    I've also heard of people doing both, but I'm not sure what's the best route to go.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    First, you will probably find a better deal online for stands, than at local shops. That depends where you live though, and what your price point is.

Lead shot is heavier, but more expensive than sand. I have some friends that have done a mix of both using a 'large' shot, and then filling in the holes with sand. I use sand only, in a medium mass stand, for my budget. I've heard of some people using glass marbles/decorative balls (can be cheaper than shot), and filling in with sand.

I guess it depends on how the mass of the stands is already, the height of the stand, and what loudspeaker you place on top, and your level of 'fanaticness'

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Systems
    edited September 2002
    thanks. i'm picking up some Sanus SF-28 stands later this wk for from my local dealer. 2-pillar, but the 3-pillar w/the "sleek euro design" costs quite a bit more. whether I go w/sand or shot, the vibration is bound to be a sh--load less than it is with my current Wood Tech 21" stands, which are fine for tiny speakers used as "B" spkrs for low volume/spoken word only, but vibrate like mad when intense bass is played thru even a small bookshelf that goes below 80 hz, and is even worse with larger bookshelfs.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2002
    Well, I heard that lead shot would be best, but I decided to take the cheap route first. Cleaned, washed, dried white sand is less than 3 bucks for 50#, but lead shot is almost $15 for 25#. There is extensive improvement in vibration reduction & sound quality w/2-pillar 28" Sanus stands filled w/sand, as opposed to 21" all-wood non-fillable stands. Will try the carpet spikes & see what I think before deciding whether or not I want to bother with trying to improve even more by buying shot. There is still a little vibration detectable on the floor near the base, altho not nearly as much. If $ a concern, I recommend trying sand first, because it's much cheaper, & you aren't out much money if you decide to try shot instead.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing