My God, what have I done?!!?!

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited September 2002 in Speakers
I just drilled 4 holes into each of my 5jr's. Lemme explain. The tweeters in the speakers were blown, and I had 2 speakers in my basement from a speaker box that I'm building for my car. So I drilled holes and screwed the other tweeters in place. I promise all of you that as soon as I come up w/ the $100, I'll buy the replacement SL1000's. :-D Surprisingly enough, the tweeters sound okay, although they do not have as wide of a soundstage. They haven't seemed to effect the sound of the subs either (they weren't a perfect fit, and left some space on either side). I'm pining for those SL1000's, though. *pine* *pine*

DooD
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2002
    Options
    My God, what have I done?!!?!

:lol:

Nothin like an OH **** line as a hook........ :-) cracked me up......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Man I feel for ya brother...though I don't think I could ever be impatient enough to drill holes in my speakers.....I'd prolly just use the surrounds until the new tweets came in, but oh well that's just me. :)
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2002
    Options
    are you sure??

"They haven't seemed to effect the sound of the subs either"

I would think that you "venting" a sealed speaker, the bass woudl drop of like a rock?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • nadams
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    are you sure??

"They haven't seemed to effect the sound of the subs either"

I would think that you "venting" a sealed speaker, the bass woudl drop of like a rock?

The speakers are ported already, I was just commenting that reducing the backpressure on the speakers had no effect on them. These are 5jr's, which have a little port below the driver, whereas 5jr+ speakers have a passive radiator instead of the port. Is this what you are thinking of?

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited September 2002
    Options
    BTW- the structural integrity of the speakers were not effected by this. Once I get the new tweeters, the holes will not be noticible, nor will they effect performance. I made sure of that....

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2002
    Options
    yes I was thinking of the 5jr+
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited September 2002
    Options
    nadams,

Have you considered getting some thearpy? At least a twelve step program. There comes a time when we all realize we have a
    problem, and we need to seek help. Mine came when I brought
    speakers instead of food. Put the power tools down and back away from the speakers. Get yourself some help. Please !
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death