polk speakers

Options
heXtant
heXtant Posts: 56
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey yall. question. i got the polk mmc690's runnin in my front doors now, and i have to pick between the polk mmc650 2 way speakers or polk mmc5250 component speakers for the back.
powered by the polk c400.4
which is better for the back, the 5250's or the 650's?
i know that the 5250's sound better, but i want to know what you guys think would sound better. which are louder of the two? which have more bass? ect ect.

thanks
System in construction.. :)
Post edited by heXtant on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Neither, rear speakers only screw up imaging and detail.

But if youre set on rear speakers, just get whatever fits. Neither will have much bass and theyll both be about the same on midrange and high frequencies.

I wouldnt get components for the back since there is no real reason to do any creative aiming with the tweeters. Stick to coaxials.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    Options
    agreed - if you must use rears, go with coaxes
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2006
    Options
    it's really all up to personal listening preferences. I used to have dB650's in the rear, but eventually sold them because I found that I usually turned them off for better imaging. If you feel like something is missing without sound in the rear, feel free to put them in.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • SportsFan
    SportsFan Posts: 93
    edited March 2006
    Options
    OK, I give: What is meant by "imaging"?

Actually, I can't "imagine" NOT owning rear speakers in my situation. Just try owning a Honda Accord, and NOT using rear speakers :( If you've got the standard 4 speaker set-up that comes from the factory, and planning to live off of the front door speakers (which are located near your FEET!), I think most people would soon find out that those rears located right at ear level are a very, VERY welcomed addition ;)
    '98 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

Sirius Starmate 4 Satellite Radio
    Beltronics Vector 995 Radar Detector
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited March 2006
    Options
    In a correct instalation where you have a reasonably good mounting position
    for the front speakers and you have the ability to adjust time alignment and
    acurately equalize the in-cabin frequency response what you wind up with is
    ideal imaging (under ideal circumstances).

What is imaging?

Close your eyes and just "Listen" to the music. Can you hear where the
    drummer was on stage? How about the lead guitarist? how about the vocalists?

In a truly great setup you can actually "hear" how deep on stage, how close
    on stage and where the artists were situated left to right.

I can hear it in my home audio 2 channel rig, and likewise on my boat I can
    hear it too! (I love this adjustable Time Alignment !!!) :)
  • Red230SX
    edited March 2006
    Options
    And what rear speakers do for the imaging is that they usually "smear" the
    sound. They cause the placement of instruments and people to become less
    pronounced. Good head units will allow you to toggle between where people
    are situated in a vehicle. I can, for example select Front Right, Front Left,
    Both Front, or all (all seats) with my Pioneer DEHP9600MP head unit.
  • AustinKP
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Like Red said, Imaging is being able to close your eyes, and see where the musicians are. If you have speakers in the rear playing the same thing as the speakers in the front, that throws off the image. Excepting 5.1 DVD's, all the music you'll listen to is recorded in stereo. (on two channels: left and right)

Thus, you only need two speakers, or sets of speakers, i.e. left and right woofer/tweeter combo. Subwoofers are just extensions of the lower frequencies of those channels.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • Red230SX
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Sub Woofers play frequencies from 150Hz and lower, these frequencies are
    considered to be "Omni-directional" meaning that the Human Ear/Brain can not
    distinguish the direction from which the sound is eminating from. Of course the
    lower the frequency the better this works.

Anything from about 150Hz and up becomes directional (point source) sound
    and the brain can perceive the direction from which these sounds come from.

Stereo recordings are a mix of the left and right channels to give the perception
    of a sound field that stretches seamlessly from left to right and has some
    peripheral coverage as well.

Any of the multi channel recordings are properly mixed so that only sounds
    that were picked up via rear channel microphones will be played in the rear
    (clapping at a live concert for example).

It's all a matter of Pshycoacoustics, that's what devices like the Blows 3...2..1
    system pseudo-work.. You can indeed trick the brain into thinking it hears
    things from directions that it really did not hear. But it will never be as accurate
    as having the real deal, full mixed surround channels.
  • AustinKP
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Red230SX wrote:
    Anything from about 150Hz and up becomes directional (point source) sound and the brain can perceive the direction from which these sounds come from.
    It's actually closer to 60Hz. It's quite easy to hear the direction from which sounds 80Hz+ are coming. Get some test tones and try it.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • Red230SX
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Austin,

I wasn't 100% sure what the cutoff range was, but it will vary slightly from
    person to person.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2006
    Options
    you're not going to get much imaging with 6x9's in your goddamn doors.

yes, rear speakers throw off stage, blah blah blah... but what kind of car is the guy building... i mean keep it in perspective.

if someone is just running coax's up front, chances are that they will both want and need rear speakers to make the car sound decent
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Red230SX
    edited March 2006
    Options
    you're not going to get much imaging with 6x9's in your goddamn doors.

yes, rear speakers throw off stage, blah blah blah... but what kind of car is the guy building... i mean keep it in perspective.

if someone is just running coax's up front, chances are that they will both want and need rear speakers to make the car sound decent

I never said NOT to install rear speakers :) There are times where you are not
    critically listening and you just want all around sound.. Hell some people have
    never even heard a properly imaged system nor do they care...

If all I was worried about was just imaging I would have only went wit two
    speakers in my boat... But I wanted to be able to rock out anywhere on the
    boat in the water... So I went with four... If I want imaging my Pio has a
    button for that :)

And I personally think the Momo 6x9's would sound killer... My Strat has
    four 6x9's from the factory (and yes, for an OEM system it's quite good)
    I imagine with 4 Momo 6x9's driven off a couple Momo CF amps that would
    be hot :)

And suprisingly my stock system does image (not spectacular) but having
    the 6x9's in the doors just pulling "woofer" duty (no tweeters) and having
    a set of 3.5" Mid/Tweets in the dash firing directly off the glass, works
    very well (in this application anyway).

But I ramble... I really need to button up the boat install and get some photos
    posted for you guys :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Red230SX wrote:
    but having
    the 6x9's in the doors just pulling "woofer" duty (no tweeters) and having
    a set of 3.5" Mid/Tweets in the dash firing directly off the glass, works
    very well (in this application anyway)

that's how my truck is set up - 6x9's are great for midbass.
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Vinny is right. 6x9's are very underrated speakers. The whole myth about them not being as good cause oval speakers are not as rigid as round speakers is bunk. If they came out with a set of SR 6x9 components Id snatch em up in a heartbeat and never look back.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2006
    Options
    "bunk"

lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • AustinKP
    edited March 2006
    Options
    MacLeod wrote:
    Vinny is right. 6x9's are very underrated speakers. The whole myth about them not being as good cause oval speakers are not as rigid as round speakers is bunk. If they came out with a set of SR 6x9 components Id snatch em up in a heartbeat and never look back.
    ...ever wonder why they DON'T have SR 6x9's? :D

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Options
    MB Quart has 6x9 components and if I werent a diehard and loyal Polkster, that is exactly what would be in my truck right now and forever more.

The MMC690 is one of the best sounding midrange speakers on the market. I wish to God they would come out with a MMC6900 component system.

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited March 2006
    Options
    AustinKP wrote:
    ...ever wonder why they DON'T have SR 6x9's? :D

My stab in the dark would be this:
    Who the hell would pay for 6x9s in the price range of the SR components?
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2006
    Options
    MB Quart is shoddy in my not so humble and very antisocial opinion. They don't tickle my fancy as Polk, Image Dynamics, and all things Mitek do.

6x9's as components... eh... here's the deal... why bother?

Your company XYZ and you build a great component set (ala the SR series)... now you dump a chunk of change into development, tooling, and build costs. You make 6 1/2 and 5 1/4 sizes... this will fit something like 99.99% of vehicles on the road with minimal work (ie. adaptor plate). That being said, why would you waste the time, effort, and money on having to basically redesign the set to work with a new 6x9 driver that only maybe 10% or less (probably less) of your customer base will be able to use since the only people with 6x9's up front are Chrysler truck and fleet vehicle customers and some other rare breeds. Total bad idea to build the speaker for such a limited audience... especially when the same people can use the 6 1/2 with a plate.

Want a midbass in the door? fine... do what our friend Thomas did (remember Thomas?) Put the 6.5's in the kicks, the tweeter where you'd normally put it, and cut your doors out to accept 8" mid-woofers.

Or be the speaker hatchet murder like me... but considering all the issues i've had, i wouldn't exactly reccomend it (or do it again -- well ya i would, but i'm mentally unstable so that doesn't really count).
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Options
    bknauss wrote:
    My stab in the dark would be this:
    Who the hell would pay for 6x9s in the price range of the SR components?

ME! grinning-smiley-003.gif

No joke! I would gladly pay for a 6x9 SR midrange. They would likely have all the wonderful characteristics of the 6.5 but with better low end response! Sign me up!

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited March 2006
    Options
    MacLeod wrote:
    ME! grinning-smiley-003.gif

No joke! I would gladly pay for a 6x9 SR midrange. They would likely have all the wonderful characteristics of the 6.5 but with better low end response! Sign me up!

You officially get to pay all the bills for RnD and the production of 1 pair of SR 6x9s :) Got a couple hundred kidneys to sell?
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited March 2006
    Options
    if u haul people in the back yea get rears i have rears in my car but unless im hauling people i leave them turned off most times the fronts sound better and lets face it in my car i cant tell much differnce with the front to rear set in the middle or all up front cant really tell the rears are on.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Options
    bknauss wrote:
    You officially get to pay all the bills for RnD and the production of 1 pair of SR 6x9s :) Got a couple hundred kidneys to sell?

Hmmm.....good point. 6.5's it is!! :D

• PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2006
    Options
    i'm fat so my kidneys must be huge -- i'll sell one for a robot wife.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    Options
    we could collect my roommate from last year... he's got three kidneys...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs