other amps

Options
2-tall
2-tall Posts: 98
edited March 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hi, I have my Carver tfm24's (220 watts per channel) horizontaly bi amped to my 3.1tl's.The sound has greatly improved over using just one amp.My question is what other amps out there would give me a noticeable improvement at a reasonable price,or have I maxed out what the 3.1tl's are capable of?I have all audioquest diamond back ic'c and audioquest type 4 speaker cable.I am using a Denon reciever as my pre amp.
Thanks
Post edited by 2-tall on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited February 2006
    Options
    2-tall wrote:
    Hi, I have my Carver tfm24's (220 watts per channel) horizontaly bi amped to my 3.1tl's.The sound has greatly improved over using just one amp.My question is what other amps out there would give me a noticeable improvement at a reasonable price,or have I maxed out what the 3.1tl's are capable of?I have all audioquest diamond back ic'c and audioquest type 4 speaker cable.I am using a Denon reciever as my pre amp.
    Thanks

How do you bi-amp with a receiver? Do most receiver's have 2 sets of pre-outs? I didn't think they did. If yours don't, how are you accomplishing the bi-amping? An excellent dedicated pre-amp will make a world of difference. Are you using this for an HT application?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • 2-tall
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I am using a connector out of the back of the Denon to split the signal to both amps.I am using this setup for two channel and for HT.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The difference in the bass and midrange when I went from Carver to Parasound was notablte. Your 3.1's have much potential remaining.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    Options
    ^3.1's vs. SRS's... bit of difference there. What Carvers were you bi-amping with?

2-tall,
    Twin 24's are plenty for your 3.1's. I'd start by looking for a good pre-amp. I-SIG's AA DLC is a nice oldie (couple hundred $ on ebay, but remote required!) or maybe look for a tube pre.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • 2-tall
    edited February 2006
    Options
    If my carvers are ok then what pre amp ,keeping in mind that I want two channel and HT,would you recomend?
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2006
    Options
    New? Used? Budget?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Carver is decent raw power, but I'd sell them before they go tango uniform, and then aren't worth anything.

Lots of more 'current' (no pun intended) choices, that will run your SDA's to their true potential.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • 2-tall
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I have a budget of $1,000 to $1500.I was thinking of a different pre amp first then upgrade the carvers later.Thoughts?
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Since you want HT capability... latest and greatest 7.1 or other?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• 2-tall
    edited March 2006
    Options
    My Denon is a 5.1.I won't be adding any more speakers so is there any reason to go with 7.1?
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Tough question to answer... More of a want vs. need thang. Room size and HT "friendliness" really determine the answer.

Unless you have it in mind to go 7.1 in the near future (and it doesn't sound that way to me), I'd suggest looking for a nice, used Pre-Pro. You'll save a bunch for later.

Used candidates would include B&K (brand I'm most familar with). Go here to see their last generation AVP line up.

And there are the other brand names you see in the forum, e.g., Outlaw, Anthem. Hopefully others can/ will recommend specific models from these lines.

Videogon.com and ebay would be among the places to look for them.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli