Onkyo 797 dropouts

mwick
mwick Posts: 5
edited September 2002 in Electronics
Not sure this is the right place to post this, but ...

I purchased an Onkyo DS-797 receive a few months ago. In general, I've been fairly pleased with it - I've heard about the possible dropout problems using Dobly Digital (they list Pearl Harbor as an offending CD), but hadn't had too many issues.

I have a DirecTV satellite system - HBO has begun broadcasting more movies recently using Dobly Digital format, and I've noticed that in about half these movies, I've noticed droputs. The latest test was Shrek. Has anyone else seen this problem to this extent? Does Onkyo have some sort of solution for it? I'm using the digital out from my RCA DirecTV receiver.

Thanks for your help,

Mark
Post edited by mwick on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    I was aware that there were dropouts in Pearl Harbor, along with Jurrasic Park III.

However, I was unaware that such a high percentage of Direct TV programs had the same problem. To my knowledge there isn't any wonder solution, but you should probably try calling Onkyo.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2002
    I have the 787. I noticed this "dropout" problem also. At first I thought it was the digital optic cable and actually glad to here it wasn't just me. I think it is mostly common with the "8" series. DD DirecTV satellite system have not upgraded to it and don't plan to any time soon.
    I heard it has to do with the way a "bit rate" is handled (recorded)on a DVD.
    It happens at the same point in movies every time. *Jeepers Creepers* as an example. Interesting though there are never any dropouts past the first 10 minutes of a movie. IME
    Have not noticed a problem with DTS soundtracks at all. I love my reciever and I can live with it. $1000 well spent. Happens to only 1 out of 10 cd's - if that. If u guys find anything out from Onkyo let us know. :cool:
  • mwick
    mwick Posts: 5
    edited August 2002
    FWIW, I just got off the phone with Onkyo support. They have obviously heard about this issue more than once. The guy I spoke with indicated that they are working with Dolby to resolve the issue, and that once the issue is resolved there would either be an update to the receiver itself (ie. you'd have to take the receiver in to have it upgraded), or they would re-release the offending DVDs. Onkyo's position, apparently, is that this is a Dolby software issue, and not a issue with their hardware.

He also said that they are expecting resolution in a month or two (we shall see), and that once something is done, the appropriate course of action will be posted on their web site.

Mark
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2002
    Cool, Thanks!:)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2002
    would there be a charge for the upgrade or would it be like a recall on a car i to have the 787 and love it to death