HDTV tube sets

Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited September 2002 in Electronics
Why is it that nobody except RCA/Proscan makes an HDTV larger than 34"? A 34" widescreen is tiny in anything but a small room. What's the deal? Why aren't we seeing 36", 38", and 40" HDTV tubes? My other complaint is when are entertainment unit companies going to get a clue and start making cabinets for widescreen tubes and give some thought to center channel placement?

Aaron
Post edited by Aaron on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    You can get several 36" HD 4:3 sets and Sony makes a 40" 4:3 in HD. but no HD widescreen direct view other than the RCA. Thats too bad. There are more alternatives in Europe. They have already accepted widescreen and there are seveal larger widescreen sets that are not available in the US.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2002
    I have a small room and I'm seriously considering a direct view, widescreen set in the not-too-distant future. I looked at a 34" Panasonic at CC last weekend. How many companies make a direct-view widescreen, and which brands are the best?

Jason
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    There is

Toshiba 34HD82 34-Inch widescreen Color Television
    34HD82.jpg

Samsung TXM3097WHF 30" Wide DynaFlat™ HDTV
    b2c_txm3097_sm.jpg

Panasonic CT-34WX52 34" widescreen Tau™ HDTV-ready TV
    l133C34WX52-F_MT.jpeg

Sony KV-34XBR800 34" widescreen FD Trinitron Wega™ XBR® HDTV-ready TV
    l15834XB800.jpeg

Zenith C34W23 34" Direct View Integrated HDTV 16:9
    C34W23_TN02.jpg

I've read good reviews about all of these with the Toshiba and Sony at the top and the rest just a notch below. The Zenith may be the bargain sleeper of the group with a reported excellent picture (but a history of quality issues which have supposedly been corrected) The price range on these through the internet is anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited August 2002
    The Toshiba and Sony use the same Toshiba tube.

I have the Toshiba 34" Widescreen and am 100% satisfied with it.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2002
    Sheeeeeeet! I would never drop 2 or 3 grand on a freaking 34"tv . For the same price the quality of big screens 50"- 60" now a days are awesome. I think big screens look good in small rooms (makes them look ever bigger than they are). Man just watch movies on your computers. My 17" FD trinitron flat screen kicks **** for clarity but it is no HomeTheater.;)
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    The thing you have to remember is that big screens aren't always practical in a room both physically and aesthetically. I'm far from an expert on the matter, but I've never seen a big screen approach the quality of a good tube set.

Aaron
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited August 2002
    Hey guys if you want a killer direct view HDTV tube television there can be only one. Go check out LOEWES they are Top-Of-The-Line in Tubes. I have installed them before and they make every TV and RPTV look like garbage. But you have to pay out your b*tthole.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited August 2002
    Aaron,

It all boils down to, surprise ........Money!
    As one Toshiba rep told me, they can make one but for how much? First it's expensive to make a flat screen tube that size. There's also no competition so they should price it at least on par with the Sony 40" which is a 4x3 tube. Then again, they would be makin a widescreen so it should be priced even higher.
    How many people would buy one especially with the price of pro-jo's going for the same price and are even bigger!
    Also factor in plasmas screens(32"-50") are coming down in price. In the end would it be worth it for that manufactuer?
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Begbie,
    That's my theory as well. It's just freakin' annoying!

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    I've seen a Loewe set before, and they're very nice. It looks like they make a 40" widescreen tube. Sweet! Bet that thing costs a fortune.

Aaron
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited August 2002
    I think there's a catch Aaron- it's not a flatscreen if you're lookin for one especially for that price!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    ...but I've never seen a big screen approach the quality of a good tube set.
    Then you haven't seen a properaly ISF calibrated RPTV. I'll put mine up against anyone's tube. RPTV's are much more tweakable than tubes, because of that, they can match, even exceed the picture quality of tubes.

A 38" RCA 16:9 TUBE is 27 7/8" deep and wieghs in at 216lbs.
    A 65" Mits 16:9 RPTV is 28 1/8" deep and weighs in at 244 lbs.

I bought my 46" for less than the 38". Going RPTV is a no-brainer.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    I think there's a catch Aaron- it's not a flatscreen if you're lookin for one especially for that price!
    Doh! I wasn't looking that closely, because I was getting extremely annoyed with the interface of their web site.

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Then you haven't seen a properaly ISF calibrated RPTV. I'll put mine up against anyone's tube. RPTV's are much more tweakable than tubes, because of that, they can match, even exceed the picture quality of tubes.
    I probably haven't. I still find your assertion rather hard to swallow. Have you seen Sony's 34" XBR tube?

A 38" RCA 16:9 TUBE is 27 7/8" deep and wieghs in at 216lbs.
    A 65" Mits 16:9 RPTV is 28 1/8" deep and weighs in at 244 lbs.

I bought my 46" for less than the 38". Going RPTV is a no-brainer.
    I realize floorspace-wise they're similar. However, there are some people out there that don't want a TV to dominate their room. They want to put it in a cabinet, possibly even one that has doors to hide the TV. There's no denying that tubes are more expensive than RPTV's. Incidently the 38" is down to $2000 (or less), so it's more affordable than it was.

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2002
    Have you seen Sony's 34" XBR tube?
    Yes I have. Of course, it was a display model and it looked OK, nothing steller. But, it was most likely unboxed and plugged in.

I see your point on hiding the TV. Our 35" in the living room is in a cabinet with doors. It's closed most of the time, looks nicer that way.

As for cost and size, I'd go RPTV and build a cabinet or add doors to an existing one to hid the TV. With the amount of money were talking, I just don't see the logic in spending more and getting less.

If...
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    Back to the original question of why certain types of products aren't on the U.S. market... someone said money... I think it comes down to a combination of a couple of factors... first of all, of course the companies aren't going to bother if they don't think they can sell enough of them to make a profit... but as anyone who has followed audio/video marketing in the U.S. knows, it also has to do with timing, and feature introduction. I'd wager the companies know they can sell a certain number of these sets right now (34" or smaller), but only so many. The guys who'll shell out the money will, and in a year or two the companies will come out with larger sets and a certain number of the same guys will want the larger set and shell out the dough for that, too.

How many times have you seen companies introduce new products that are shy one or two major - but available - features... just to introduce the 'upgraded' model in maybe a year or so. Also why new products can be priced SO high at first - sure, some of it has to do with economies of scale, but some of it is also capturing the extra profit from those guys that just have to have something right away.

It is mostly about knowing their market and capturing the largest chunk of change they can from those willing to part with it. Once the diehards are tapped, then new models come out to again hit the diehards and the 'older' stuff drops so the rest of us will buy.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    I don't buy the whole planned obsolescence conspiracy theory. If that really was the case, why wouldn't another company release a product with all the features today and capture market share?

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    Going RPTV is a no-brainer.
    Ron, I deffinatly agree. Price vs size vs picture quality RPTV IS the way to go. For me (my insane dedication in HT) it is Front Projection all the way.

They want to put it in a cabinet, possibly even one that has doors to hide the TV.
    For a contemperary living/reading room type of set up a huge cabinet structure is OK but for HT it is too distracting and takes away from the whole theater experience.
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2002
    Front Projection is something I WILL do. Currently they are too expensive and the black levels suck. Once the prices drop and technology improves, I'll buy.

If...
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    Front Projection is something I WILL do. Currently they are too expensive and the black levels suck. Once the prices drop and technology improves, I'll buy.
    Ron, I think once you do some really indepth research into FP u will find all the old school reasons not to buy FP are completely going away. The black levels on the FP are the same are better than my current RPTV. Especailly since going to a grey sceen. The colors ARE better. It is even HD (can't what for HD DVD).You think there are alot of tweeks on your HD RPTV - my FP has over 50 settings. For a mid-range FP the price is about the same as a 50"-60" RPTV. And the technology and prices are dropping every day. If you get HT mags. u will notice that FP IS the fastest growing electronic device on the market. Sanyo sold the design of my FP to a dedicated HT company. They even did minor improvements to it and it sells for around $3500. Not bad! I even found a great color of paint (DIY) that eleminates the cost of a screen all together.
    I know that u are really enjoying your new HD RPTV and I am sure that it looks amazing but I think when your ready you will really enjoy what FP has to offer. ;)
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2002
    I'm looking at 1-2 years before going over to the FP side. If FP's are growing that fast, in a year or so, they should be rip for picking.

If...
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    For a contemperary living/reading room type of set up a huge cabinet structure is OK but for HT it is too distracting and takes away from the whole theater experience.
    Agreed. Unfortunately not everyone can devote a room solely to HT. What's wrong with those people? :rolleyes:

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    edited August 2002
    There is nothing wrong with THOSE people. I guess I am in a part of my life were I usually talk about HT from more of a dedicated room point of view. My living room ht has a fairly large cabinet structure. The two shelf piers and a lighted bridge over the big screen and it looks great. But it is a big screen TV. An 8' cabinet structure with a small tv stashed somewhere in the mix to me does not give much of an HT feel. I just IMO would not spend a equal amount of $ on the entertanment unit than the actual equipment. I mean from an HT point of view.:)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2002
    i was told that i would have to spend 10 k to match the 3 k 65 inch tv i got and that is judst for the projector and not the screen maybe in 5 years i might get a projector when the dlp ones are at cost with a rptv
  • scottvamp
    edited September 2002
    i was told that i would have to spend 10 k to match the 3 k 65 inch tv i got and that is judst for the projector and
    10k is about right - but that is retail. A 10k projector goes for about 5 or 6k on the internet.
    (we're talking HD quality)
    Projector People is an awesome company - with great prices.
    Some dlp projectors are being produced for under 2k now. :cool: