Center channel Question

tryrrthg
tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
edited September 2002 in Speakers
Can a bookshelf speaker be used as a center channel? For example, for virtually the same price (at Brandnamez.com) I can get a brand new pair of RTI38's (and use the second speaker as the rear channel as I upgrade) or a CSi40. Is there something special that a center channel does differently than any other speaker... The frequency response are almost identical...

Would anyone recommend or not recommend doing this?

Any help/info would be great! Thanks!
Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
Post edited by tryrrthg on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    I think it is a great idea, only thing to worry about is placement, I would think you will want it to stand up and not be laid on its side. I had the same idea.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2002
    Along the same vein, I use center channel speakers for surrounds, and they work really well.

I see no reason why you couldn't use a bookshelf speaker for a center channel, with the possible exception that the tweeter might be off center, whereas most true center channels have the tweet in the middle. This difference may or may not be audible in real world listening.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    This difference may or may not be audible in real world listening.

She-at......Dr Spec's body has been invaded by the tweeter people....RUN...
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2002
    Thanks everyone. I emailed a friend about this and he mentioned that I'll probably have to use the bookshelf speaker in the upright position so that you maintain a vertical alignment of the drivers. Which makes sense, but aesthetically it doesn't look as good as a big old CS400i or CSi40 sitting on top of your TV!

Thanks again!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2002
    Tryrrthg- think you hit the nail... with it being mostly an aesthetic thing.
    It will work.
    Obviously the goal in design was to keep the speaker low in profile and as close to the tv as possible, but in a blind test, I wonder how many people could really hear a difference.

-Luc
  • abenedicto
    abenedicto Posts: 55
    edited August 2002
    I wouldn't go that route only because I'd prefer the traditional two woofers plus the tweeter. With all the information that comes from the center channel two 6.5 drivers would be able to handle the load more efficiently. Not to mention that it's awesome ....(I have the cs400i and I wouldn't change it for the world !!!).
    think before you speak....peace always

Yamaha htr-5740
    Sony 222es (sacd/cd)
    Velodyne CT-10 (sub)
    JVC 48WP74 (HDTV)
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited September 2002
    i put my cs-400i up on end for vertical alignment it dose sound better that way on my system.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited September 2002
    Dude if you have the opportunity to use the SAME exact speaker all the way around than without a question do it. In my room I use the exact same in-wall for LCR and I get a completely seamless front soundstage. And if you you can use two pair of RTI38's for surrounds as well as surround back and your theater will sound incredible.
  • tryrrthg
    edited September 2002
    Thanks everyone! I'll take all these things into consideration! All I do know is I need to spend as little money as possible! So I'm looking for a good deal!

Thanks!