Equalizer for DTS/Dolby Digital

bkuttemplon
bkuttemplon Posts: 9
edited September 2002 in Electronics
Does anyone know about an equalizer for DTS or Dobly Digital (5.1)?

Regards,
Post edited by bkuttemplon on

Comments

• STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited August 2002
    A company I believe called Audio Control/Bijou (unit name)has a 7 chanel unit...you can find it on line pretty cheap, around $750 or so......I think it was even THX certified.I thought about it pretty long and hard for a while.Good Luck..
    Peace, StuffMD :u )
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited August 2002
    Add on for you.... it is listed at an online dealer called HI-Fi concepts for $749..regular list $995.
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2002
    If you're talking about one that connects between your digital ins&outs, I'm at a loss.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by gidrah
    If you're talking about one that connects between your digital ins&outs, I'm at a loss.

Hi:

I interpreted bkuttemplon's original posting as STUFFMD did. That is he was inquirying about multichannel room equalization and not about digital input/outputs.

By the way, I have an AudioControl Bijou, and despite the fact that AudioControl claims it can do seven channels, this is very misleading. The Bijou has connections for two subwoofers, but it has just a single set of subwoofer adjustments. So it is really a 6-channel equalizer, Right & Left Mains, Center, Right & Left surrounds and subwoofer channel.

I also have a two channel Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro digital equalizer, but in most applications it connects to your preamp via conventional analog connections.

However, I have been advised by Stephen Dodds at an other forum that it is possible to use several of these professional equalizers for a fully digital system. Here's Stephen's advise:
    As an aside, it is possible to use the Ultracurve in a fully digital system, although it is a little complicated. You would need a prepro with digital outs such as a Meridian 561 or Theta Casanova, three or four Ultracurves, and a multichannel volume control. For 5.1 sources the best multichannel volume control is the Sony TAP9000ES.

You run the prepro into the Ultracurves using the optional AES/EBU input, then from the UCs into the volume control, and from there to your power amps.

The volume on the prepro is turned to 0dB to maintain the full digital level.

If you were really picky, you could use standalone D/A converters after the Ultracurves.

The cost of this would be about $2300 for the prepro, $1000 or so for the Ultracurves and $400 for the Sony, or less than $4K for the lot.

UPDATE:

I forgot to mention that AudioControl also makes an 8-channel (7.1) digital equalizer called the Diva. I believe it sells for $9,000. Although it is digital it is designed strictly for analog connections.

Here's a review by Nigel Pond:

AudioControl DIVA Multi-channel Equalizer/Processor

In it he says:
    Another big plus for the DIVA is that it is 7.1 channel compatible right out of the box so it will match up nicely with any THX® EX/DTS ES (matrix or discrete) processor. I am not aware of any similar product which provides EQ for any 7.1 system in one unit.

Larry
  • bkuttemplon
    bkuttemplon Posts: 9
    edited September 2002
    Larry is right! What I’m looking for is just what Larry describes. Unfortunately Diva is out of my budget and I did not find TAP9000ES on Sony’s web

Thank you everyone for your feedback

Best regards
    bkuttemplon
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by bkuttemplon
    Larry is right! What I’m looking for is just what Larry describes. Unfortunately Diva is out of my budget and I did not find TAP9000ES on Sony’s web

Thank you everyone for your feedback

Best regards
    bkuttemplon

Here's some information on the Sony TA-P9000ES.

It is frequently used to permit analog bypass and volume control on preamps that don't have connections for DVD-A and/or SACD players. For example, my Lexicon MC-1 lacks analog bypass connections, so I could use a Sony TAP as a 6-channel switch and volume control to route the output of both a DVD-A and SACD player to my amplifiers. This would switch the Lexicon out of the circuit and put the Sony into the circuit without having to buy a second set of amplifiers.

Larry