edited February 2006
    Options
    I accept and welcome your endorsement.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels the same,I might invite a FEW people over for a bowl game, but never have/never will to watch a movie, but I will loan it to them,if I feel the inclination,guess I'm no fun anymore, maybe a surround bar for the bedroom, everything else is two channel, :):)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2006
    Options
    How the heck are you supposed to pay attention to a movie with guests aboard? A good host is trying to be attentive to guests, not media. I think you got it right George. Maybe it has something to do with the name G.

George
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2006
    Options
    ED Zachry!!!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Agreed.....add to the fact that there aren't many movies out there worth sitting down and watching.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • george daniel
    edited February 2006
    Options
    How the heck are you supposed to pay attention to a movie with guests aboard? A good host is trying to be attentive to guests, not media. I think you got it right George. Maybe it has something to do with the name G.

George

I think you're right,George,it must be in the name :)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Again, I'll say I don't feel I'm missing anything watching movies in 2-ch. I don't watch too many movies maybe 3-4 a month. I almost never have people over to watch because they can't keep their damn mouth's shut :p . When I have visitors it's for entertaining and socializing.

I'm sure a multi-channel set-up works real nice. IMO, it's not necessary to completely enjoy a movie. If had room for a seperate HT room I would possibly build a modest HT set-up but it's not very high on my priority list. I'd be more than likely thinking what I could have spent that money on improving my 2ch set-up.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • TroyD
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I got, oh, 5 or 6 movies for Christmas, I haven't opened the first one yet.

BDT
  • George Grand
    edited February 2006
    Options
    "Thank you for telling me what AR-9's and a Dynaco Quadaptor were George."

You're welcome Troy.

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Humm, two channel and HT? HT and two channel?

Kinda like mixing beer and wine. :p
  • George Grand
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Well Bob, I for one do not want a roomful of speakers, and don't really feel I'm missing much using a pair of AR-9's which throw images all over the place in straight two channel. I also don't watch movies that have a lot of special effects, and actually get distracted from a good movie when a lot of rear channel **** is going on.

• StopherJJ1980
    StopherJJ1980 Posts: 267
    edited February 2006
    Options
    If you go to audioperfectionist.com there is a lot of info regarding how room setup is one of the most, if not THE MOST important component of a good system in the journals available there. Sounds like you have discovered the same.. Congrats.
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR
  • George Grand
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The relationship between the speakers and the room they are placed in has always been the most critical and ELUSIVE synergy in home audio reproduction. I haven't really done anything roomwise, I have just had speakers for the last 15 years or so that image like crazy no matter what room you place them in. Mine could probably image even better if I concerned myself with it. I don't, they don't.

1. My ears are shot.

2. I am fortunate enough to have a completely separate room for just my He-Man stereo rig, based around the Carver Amazings which I've owned for 15 years. Others are just getting into them which is great. Here, they are old friends.

3. I couldnt hose my wife, the former Theresa Talamonti, over by filling our large family room up with a bunch of speakers or treatments She's understanding enough to let me have the other room all to myself. The family room is where the AR-9's reside. I've had them for about 5 years I guess.

4. Recent events have taken my passion for good sound reproduction and placed it squarely where it belongs in the heirarchy of things important to me. It's at the bottom, right where a hobby should be.

5. I'm too damn old and I don't care about being cutting edge or any **** like that.

6. Nice to meet you JJStopher.

• george daniel
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Ditto that George, :)
    George G. Daniel
  • George Grand
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I'm telling you G, it's the name.

George
  • TroyD
    edited February 2006
    Options
    "Thank you for telling me what AR-9's and a Dynaco Quadaptor were George."

You're welcome Troy.

A PARTIAL list:

Carver Amazings
    Carver amps
    REAL 2ch stereo
    AR9's (all things AR, really)
    Acoustic suspension goodness
    KLH
    Advent
    Dynaco
    Telarc CD's
    Kunzel and the Cinnci Pops
    Holst: Planets
    Russo's Pizza
    a quicker way to McGuire

a whole host of other things I'm sure, but more than anything, being a damn good friend. No, scratch friend, family.

BDT
  • George Grand
    edited February 2006
    Options
    His conscience and soul are cleansed, right here before your very eyes.

It is the sincerest form of flattery Troy, and I have been flattered by a lot worst people than yourself and that bombshell who I lust after so desperately with every fiber in my being. Hey, what are friends for?

Yup, family.

George
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Get a room already you two.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Anybody else smell something? All of a sudden?

Big hug for the family stinker too. For 1,001 reasons, least of which is my Acoustic Research Receiver, which I probably never would have ever owned if it weren't for him. Thanks FOR EVERYTHING di%khead, you da man!

George
  • TroyD
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Russ is the brother we all wish we had....

You know you got it bad for the forum if some of these knuckleheads are mentioned in your will....

BDT
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Well Bob, I for one do not want a roomful of speakers, and don't really feel I'm missing much using a pair of AR-9's which throw images all over the place in straight two channel. I also don't watch movies that have a lot of special effects, and actually get distracted from a good movie when a lot of rear channel **** is going on.

Hell I know that George. :) You know how fond of HT I am anyhoo even though I built one. It gets used once a month on a good years' average. It was actually a quip about working the systems the other way around if you know what I mean. ;)
  • George Grand
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Roger Bob.

George

Was that a cool response or what? Roger Bob. George. I like it. I may do it again soon. Roger Bob. George. See?
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2006
    Options
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I found the Roger Waters Cd. It's 'Amused to Death'. I picked it up off off Ebay and it sounds pretty good in my set up too now. Having heard it on his system has help me set up my 2 channel. I think I have a pretty good balance now and I really am enjoying this two channel stuff.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I've recently ditched a 5.1 setup in favor of a higher quality 2ch setup for music & HT. Haven't watched too many 5.1 DVDs yet, but so far I've been totally happy with the move. Music is an order of magnitude more enjoyable. The 2ch DVDs I've watched (anime) sound WAY better. Once I got the speaker positioning correct on the right wall, imaging was stunning. I don't miss those surround channels at all, and I'm not really missing the sub yet either. I never liked a center channel because the position of my TV meant optimal center placement was never an option. Even my date Saturday night was surprised (with no prompting or discussion on my part) how the sound was more immersive than any surround system, with only 2 speakers :D

Definitely a 2ch believer over here.
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2006
    Options
    "Two channel home theater" is an oxymoron.

I don't doubt for a minute that a 2-channel system can sound great for movies, but it ain't HT.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."