RM7600 Speaker Setup Question

rbauer
rbauer Posts: 9
edited August 2002 in Speakers
Hey guys,

I just got the Polk RM 7600 system and am extremely pleased with the sound ! Movies sound absolutely incredible, and I get excellent music reproduction with them using an H/K 520 receiver.

The Polk manual says to configure the center and rear surrounds as SMALL in the receiver speaker setup. The question that I have is, why wouldn't one configure the center and rear surrounds as LARGE instead ? The RM 4600 CC and RM 4300 SAT specs state that they can handle the lower frequencies down to 65hz so wouldn't configuring them as LARGE sound even better and give a fuller range ? Or no ?

Note: I do not use the LFE method of hookup for the L/R fronts as the Polk manual suggests.

Rich
Post edited by rbauer on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Did you try it both ways? What were your thoughts?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rbauer
    edited August 2002
    I just tried it and I can't really hear a difference configuring all the speakers as LARGE. Was hoping to at least get some fuller lower midrange from the center channel.
  • Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited August 2002
    Hey Rich,

I have the RM7600 package also, paired with a Denon 3802 and am quite happy with it's performace.....except for maybe the sub.
    I have mine wire front l/r out of the receiver, to the sub and then to l/r front speakers. Fronts are set to large, everthing else to small. I am very limited wth the placement of the sub and this (imo) sounded the best. The Denon gives me the option to use lfe & speaker level & I still like the original set up the best. I have to crank the sub up to about 7 or 8 to get it to sound right, and I'm sure the placement of the sub is not optimal, but it will do for now. The sats do sound nice, but I don't think I would want them to handle the lower freqs. at higher volumes esp movies like u-571, pod race ect......................

I have read about other set ups (and bookmarked them) in other post, using the pre outs & lfe, but have not had a chance to play, some day......good luck with your system and enjoy it!!!

Mark
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    I'm using the LFE input on mine, and I definitely like the setup.
  • rbauer
    edited August 2002
    Hi Mark,

Where did you place the sub ? I put mine to the left of the front left speaker. Sounds great at level 5 on the dial.

I had no idea how big that sub was until Crutchfield delivered it. It's huge and calls quite a bit of attention to itself, both visually and acoustically. My wife wants to hide it under a big wicker basket with a flower arrangement on top, but I told her that's NOT a good idea...

Rich
  • Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited August 2002
    Hey Rich,

My sub is more towards the rear speakers. I have a corner set up for my front stage at the bottom of a set of steps and no room for that beast. I had to fabricated a set of stands for the front speakers (about a 2"sq. footprint) because it's so tight. My rears sats are mounted on 2 corner shelves about 6' from the floor. These sats (imo) have a much fuller range when wall mounted. When I play music in 5 channel stereo, the rears do sound better (fuller) than the fronts.

I'm working on setting up a h/t room in my basement that will be wired for 6.1 and maybe add a set of towers or upgraded bookshelves to the front and use the sats for the rear & rear surround ( all sats will be wall mounted). The sub will be up front and someday will add a sonosub to be place where ever it will sound the best

All in all, I am very happy with my set up. I'm new to all this (these are my first polks) and have received alot of good advise from the maniacs out here. I have rewired my system so many times (not because I wasn't happy, but because just maybe....) For now I am enjoying the hell out of it and leaving it hooked up the way it is.

Mark
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........