Blowed up RTi100's

Options
ckdahl
ckdahl Posts: 6
edited February 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have a pair of RTi100's and someone turned up my Denon too loud on New Years and they haven't sounded the same since- no upper end. Granted these are probably lower end speakers for those viewing here, I would still like to find a fix as they worked excellent for the smaller living room I have. I replaced the tweeters and it picked up a little, so take out the mids and get new ones? If turned up I have detected a bit of "flapping" noise maybe coming from the mid area of the speaker. Bass and lows are good to go and still thump well for this speaker. Any ideas are appreciated.
Post edited by ckdahl on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Carefully use five fingers (four if you're a carpenter ;)jacked sid's joke here) and lightly push one of the mids in. If it makes a scratchy noise: not good. Try that for the other drivers and let us know...
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Call Polk CS and talk to them. You will probably have to replace the woofers. If your speakers are under warranty then all you have to do is send back the drivers and a copy of the receipt I think. If not then you might have to pay for them. Mention that you are a club polk member to get a discount.
  • ckdahl
    edited February 2006
    Options
    They are not under warranty, but no matter I would just like them fixed so I'll carefully try the five finger method, not a carpenter so I still have all five on each hand, but it's not from lack of trying to lose one here or there...... Do these speakers have anything else that could fail- crossover or something of the sort?
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Your description would indicate a bad driver. As indicated a call to Polk CS is in order, very helpful bunch who can get you squared away.

RT1
  • ckdahl
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I'll bend the ear of CS after I get a few more ounces of coffee this morning. Thanks much. I'll give a result when I get one.