older DB12

Options
BigDuke10
BigDuke10 Posts: 8
edited January 2006 in Troubleshooting
i am new on this site so some of these questions may seem a little stupid as I am not a genius when it comes to my car audio. i have an older DB12 which i used to run in my jimmy and became very fond of. i am now planning on installing it under the seat of my 02 wrangler and am working to make it fit as it is going to be very close. the sub will be firing down towards the floor and i am trying to figure out how far the sub should be from the floor for optimum sound. i believe the rule is half the diameter of the voice coil. am i to assume that that is 6"? i no longer have all the specs for this sub and they seem to be hard to find. thanks to a diagram from jeepforum i think i should have about 3" from the floor. hope thats enough as i don't want to use any other sub. i also need to know how much space the sub needs to be from the back of the box. please help me with these questions. thanks.
Post edited by BigDuke10 on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I belive the voice coil is 2" to start. I've never heard that rule. Are you planning to put it under the front , or The back seat? If your putting it under the front seat you are going to totaly destroy the sound coming from it, and i'm not sure if their is enough space under the rear seat either. Also if you put that sub uder a seat you will probaly get floor board rattle wich sounds horible. Post the dimensions for under you seat, and I'll see what I can come up with, after I found the spec for the 12( do you know what year it was made.) ad if it's a db124 or a db124dvc(dual voice coil, If it's a dual voice coil design, it will have 2 sets of wire inputs on it).
  • dudeinaroom
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Also could you let me know what it says on the back of the magnet?
  • BigDuke10
    edited January 2006
    Options
    im not exactly sure what year it was made. i think i got it sometime around 1997 or so. its the original DB, all black with the very hard center cone. the back of the magnet says DB12 Dynamic Balance Series, 4 ohm. there is a little white sticker on the magnet that reads DB12 4 24570. the sub would be firing at the floor at a slight angle.
    i am using the same design as another jeeper from his website,

http://www.sirgcal.com/

look under 97-02 TJ large in seat sub enclosure. it shows his design diagram and how he installed it. i would need to use a spacer for the sub as it is another 3/4 in mounting depth and i would need close to another 1/3 of an inch so that the port behind the magnet isn't touching the back of the box. i think this is the best place for the sub as it would be hidden and save space. i also like the volume as it is almost exactly what the DB called for which i believe was .88 cubic feet. i don't want to have to buy a new sub but will have to if i can't make this work.let me know what you think and if you have any ideas or opinions. also, do you think some noisekill would work if i sprayed it under the carpet on the body of the jeep?
  • dudeinaroom
    edited January 2006
    Options
    that might jus work for you. Your just building a single box for a single sub right?
  • BigDuke10
    edited January 2006
    Options
    yeah, just a single 12. im more concerned with knowing exactly how far the vent on the magnet has to be from the back of the box, that i would like to know exactly but i don't know how.
  • dudeinaroom
    edited January 2006
    Options
    BigDuke10 wrote:
    yeah, just a single 12. im more concerned with knowing exactly how far the vent on the magnet has to be from the back of the box, that i would like to know exactly but i don't know how.
    you should be safe as long as the distance is at least same or better than the diameter of the vent