Sub enclosure

KStrange65
KStrange65 Posts: 7
edited February 2003 in Custom Fabrication
I have recently been working on a custom sub box for my 4 10inch MOMOs. I am using four individual chambers each at .67 cu ft and with a healthy amount of poly-fill. I like the way it sounds, but I was wondering what type of enclosures POLK uses? I have heard some people say on large box would sound better than a mulit-chambered box. What do you guys think?
Post edited by KStrange65 on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2002
    The boxes in most of our vehicles use separate chambers for each woofer- the F- 150s with 8 MM120's each have their own airspace of .88. The Integra's box only has two separate sides for the four woofers, but it still sounds good. I doubt you'd hear a difference between what you have now and with the woofers sharing airspace.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2002
    if i want 2 12's (MM120) in 1 box with 1 chamber, how big should the space be?
    .88? 1.76?
    thanks
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Thom
    edited July 2002
    2 woofers in the same chamber would require 1.76.
  • DrummerMP
    DrummerMP Posts: 17
    edited July 2002
    Hi, I am a new member to this site which I didn't know existed. I have been a Polkie for years and did not know it.
    Right now I am in the process of changing my 99 civic si interior to a custom design featuring all polkmomo speakers. I was particularly very impressed with Josh Claar's 2000 civic EX interior. I have a similar setup in mind. How can I get mine done in red? Who do I contact?
    Right now I have all polk dx speaker (6 1/2" component, 6 1/2", 6x9 and two 10" sub). I hope someone can help me with information regarding my project.

Josh!!!!!!!! If you are there can you help me?

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited July 2002
    What part of the country are you from? We might be able to locate a quality custom fabrication shop in your area.
  • perfdrug
    perfdrug Posts: 5
    edited August 2002
    what type of plexiglass do you recommend i use? i had some cheap/thin stuff and the thumping literally blew a hole in the side.
    i've got this elaborate setup in mind, but i don't want to run into the same problems. any specifics would be helpful (thickness etc.) thanks.
  • DrummerMP
    edited August 2002
    Thanks Josh for your reply.
    I am located in Fort Myers, Southwest Florida which is South of Tampa and West of Miami. I do appretiate all the help I can get in completing my project.

drummermp
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited August 2002
    If you can find some polycarbonate sheets or the brand name Lexan *Nascar windshields are made of this* I bet that would work. I'm not sure about the sonic properties of it. It can be 'spensive but it's really tough.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2002
    I just talked to my rep in Florida. He said to try a place called J.C.'s customs out of Winter Haven. Talk to Jason Smith and tell him that I recommended them. 863-293-5555
  • DrummerMP
    edited August 2002
    Thanks Josh for the information, I will call them.
    What about the grill for the center channel and doors, like whats featured on your car? Where can I get those?

Thanks
    drummermp
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2002
    Those were special made on a lazer cutting machine. They are not available to the public.
  • DrummerMP
    edited August 2002
    Josh, please tell me it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it at all possible? Are you saying I would have to get them made? What other alternatives are available? I realy admire those, they are the best I have ever seen.

Thanks, drummermp
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2002
    Yes, sorry to say. There are advantages to working for a speaker manufacturer. I don't know what else you could do. It would cost more money than it's worth to get them made.
  • DrummerMP
    edited August 2002
    Josh!!!!!! I realize in the employee's installation, you guys use mostly Zapco amplifiers. Are those amps best to use with momo speakers in all ranges(highs, mids & lows? What about Rockford Fosgate competition series or even Alpine V12 amps? Can those produce great quality sound as well with those speakers?

Thanks.
  • Thom
    edited August 2002
    All of our company vehicles use Alpine amps and sound great. There are quite a few good amps out there, I've been using Zapco for years (since 98?) and have never had a problem with one of their amps, and I highly recommend them. But there are quite a few other choices that will work out well.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2002
    dude.... all i gotta say about zapco is >850 damping factor and less tha 0.014% thd... 0.007 on some... how the heck can you go wrong with THAT!

alpine V12 series (1507) were nice nice amps... the new alpine MRD500's aren't nothing to write home about though... lacking power, but i'll give them this, they're clean.

if you've got the money, go with zapco. but be prepared to spend 3 grand for 2 or 3 amps. its not cheap.

you get what you pay for these days --- i've been using mtx, and until the most recent line came out, i was pleased with them ... although the new 4/6/8k thunder line is just a mess of problems... ive got a 6304 thatoverheats and an 81000d that's a distortion producing monster. i should steal my girlfiriend's old mtx 302 / 204... less power but 20times cleaner. hell i paid for them anyway..lol
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • technobass
    technobass Posts: 25
    edited February 2003
    can someon tell me a little more about the iso push/pull box that i've heard about? kim posted plans in a different forum but i am havin some problems downloading it...does that box produce a better sound or a louder sound or anything like that or what?

i have three gnx12's (single coil) and not too much trunk space...i was wonderin if you guys had any ideas as to what i should do (maybe only use two in an enclosure that will produce better sound or maybe you have a relatively small box plan for three subs?)...any help on any of this stuff would be appreciated....thanx
    Steevo a.k.a. DJ Nostalgia