LSi's and Onkyo

Comments

• kmartin971
    kmartin971 Posts: 236
    edited January 2006
    THD = 0.08 at 4, 6, and 8 ohms (all channels powered)

RMS = 100 @ 8, 120 @ 6, and 140 @ 8 (all channels powered)

DP = 125 @ 8 and 180 @ 4 ohms (all channels powered)

They also emailed me a tech hand book for free with the additional rating at 4 ohms.

Seems like enough power to me. Not bad for under 1k.

I believe the NR-100 would be a sufficient receiver they rate 150 watts @ 8 ohms and all numbers abve go up from their. Problem is that receiver is over 3k right now. As soon as it comes under 1.5k I will upgrade again or buy a sepeate 7 channel amp.

If I have problems in the future I will post them here. Thanks for the help.
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    Sony Upconverting DVD Player
    XBox
    XBox 360 (Wireless connection live and media center enabled)
    PS3
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    Well, there goes my respect for Onkyo (that I didn't have in the first place). There's no way you're going to convince me any receiver at this price, especially an Onkyo, will push 140 continuous watts into a 4ohm load all channels driven with just 0.08% THD. There's no way you could convince me it could do it at 20% THD, either.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    I clearly asked the tech "with all channels powered?" I do agree with you. I would have expected the THD number to increase with the wattage.

Actually you are correct, we could do the match ourselves:

Input Sensitivity and Impedance 200 mV/ 47 k
    (LINE) 2.5 mV/47 k (PHONO MM)

As the impenance goes up so should the THD. Some crunch numbers and see what it is ! 4 ohms.
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    I don't think I believe it could put out 140watts into one channel presenting a 4ohm load continuously with less than 0.08% THD.

That's just not something receivers do.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited January 2006
    kmartin971 wrote:
    THD = 0.08 at 4, 6, and 8 ohms (all channels powered)

RMS = 100 @ 8, 120 @ 6, and 140 @ 8 (all channels powered)

DP = 125 @ 8 and 180 @ 4 ohms (all channels powered)

They also emailed me a tech hand book for free with the additional rating at 4 ohms.

Seems like enough power to me.

If I have problems in the future I will post them here. Thanks for the help.

Ok I'm done......*shrugs shoulders* lets out a sigh* Sounds like a winner, GO FOR IT :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: We all know specs don't lie. Also specs are where it's at for determining what sounds good. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

My 45 watt Nakamichi receiver would walk over that ONK soundwise and current wise. Oh wait....that's not in the specs so it can't be.

Believe what you hear....not what the specs say. There is no uniform standard for rating one unit to another. Manufactures can manipulate figures to look good on paper. Specs are a very general guidline at best.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    I'm not saying specs are always correct, just passing on exactly what they provided.

Input Sensitivity and Impedance 200 mV/ 47 k ohm
    (LINE) 2.5 mV/47 k ohm (PHONO MM)
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    Haha, you'll probably get mixed responses on that one. Yeah, I think as far as amps go, it's pretty good. However, most people here wouldn't buy one simply because of the company (Monster doesn't have very good business practices).

I'd recommend looking elsewhere, regardless.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • heiney9
    edited January 2006
    kmartin971 wrote:

Monster is new to the game of amplifiers. Richard Marsh who is somehow involved has a good reputation. I know a few members here have one of these and are very happy with them. Monster (in general) is not regarded real well around here, mostly becasue of their marketing practices of their cables, speaker wire and power conditioners. I've not had a chance to listen to one, but I can say it is more capable of driving your Lsi's than the Onkyo. IMO, that's an awful lot of money for an amp.....you could do as well and probably better for considerably less with the other brands mentioned in this thread.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    Can somone recommend a 3 or 4 channel amp?
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited January 2006
    Check out amps from these companies...

Adcom, NAD, B&K, Carver, AMC, Audiosource

All can be found from 100-500 bones shipped. Audiosource, Adcom, NAD all have amps used that can be found between 100-200.

They'll blow the top right off that Oinker.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2006
    kmartin971 wrote:
    Can somone recommend a 3 or 4 channel amp?

Ummm...that was covered a few posts ago. You have gotten lots of brand names, now it's time to start the research. Making a decision isn't going to happen in the next hour. :)

H9
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    Send links!
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • heiney9
    edited January 2006
    kmartin971 wrote:
    Send links!

Use Google, this isn't the library and I'm not the librarian :rolleyes:

H9
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2006
    Did they happen to mention the current (amps per channel) that the onkyo would provide? More than watts, current is where its at for good sound.

I also started with an Onkyo AVR. (777 in my case) that I thought sounded good when I purchased it. I upgraded to a killer amp and saw improvements, but not as much as everyone was making out. (I had all LSi7's and an LSiC at the time).

With an audio system, it is all about synergy - I was (and still am) using my Onkyo 777 as a pre-amp to my external Cinepro amp. I thought the sound was good, but not what I have heard at high end audio dealers. (better than what I have heard at Best Buy, Circut City and American though) A friend (and club Polk member - Opus) brought over his Rotel Preamp and you cannot believe the difference in sound it made.

I would say (in my case) the quality of the onkyo amplifier far exceeded the quality of the Onkyo pre-amp built into my AVR. (hence the small improvment I heard when I upgraded - I still had the weakest link in my system in use)

I now know what my system is capable of and it is almost painful to watch movies and listen to music now - knowing how much better it could be.

I am still a ways away from upgrading to full separates, but it will be my next upgrade. (gotta get the funds in place first)

Just wanted to relate my story for those who say "just throw an amp on your avr and you will be fine". You really owe it to yourself to hear what an LSi system run with decent electronics behind it is capable of - The word amazing does not even begin to describe it.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • doug lang
    doug lang Posts: 261
    edited January 2006
    Hey dude I was one always to buy the big onkyo. I still have a tx-ds989. I just had to have it. I laid out 2,500 bucks for this big one. Hey great sound and lots of features. It does look impressive. Started to replace my speakers with polk,and still the sound was ok. One thing I did notice it was running very hot. Now I am not one who turns it up,but still I was uneasy with the heat. I went with sunfire and there was a difference instantly. The sound was not as harsh and it really came to life. One thing also about sunfire it's the coolest running,no heat at all. It was hard for me to except this with my onkyo, but all that has heard my system are quite impressed.
    Oppo bdp 93 Blue Ray
    Integra DTR-80-2
    Polk LSi9s (mains)
    Polk LSiC (center)
    Polk LSiFXs (surrounds)
    Sub SVS 20-39+
    Samsung 60" Led 3-d
    Blue Jean Cables
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited January 2006
    very nice system doug.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited January 2006
    Much has been said so I will cut right to the chase, why own speakers like the Lsi if your not planning on buying seperates or at least a high end receiver, why own them? You would have better results with rti. Most receivers can run them with no problems. As stated already, it's all about synergy.

Do what you want but hear what the Lsi speakers can do you will not.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    hehe...there's yoda...
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • sickicw
    sickicw Posts: 456
    edited January 2006
    just remember that most lsi speakers can dip down near 2 ohms.

If you want to go the cheap way and have the time and experiance, i would try hooking up a good car amplifier to your lsi15s (use a high quality power converter), use your onkyo receiver for your rears or center (get the 703 on sale at circuit city), and then buy a cheap 5 channel amp (like outlaw audio) for the rest.

This would all end up being under 2k if you found sales or bought used. Actually now that i think about it, just get the 5 channel amp and receiver first, and if you think your fronts need more power, then go for the car amp (a good one can double power all the way to 1 ohm).
    Speakers: LSi9 x 2, LSic, LSiFX x 2, Velodyne HGS-15
    Amps & Power: Rockford Fosgate T8004 x 3, Cascade Audio APS-55 power supplies x 5, and 1 farad capacitor.
    Electronics: Denon 3806, Toshiba HD-A1, & Sony KDL46XBR2
    Accessories: Anti-IC interconnects, 8 Mondo Traps from Realtraps, and Salamander furniture.
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited January 2006
    Amplifier Section

Power Output* (8 ohm, 20 Hz-20 kHz, FTC) (notice no disclosure on rating into 4 ohms or how many channels driven)

Front L/R 105 W/Ch

Center 105 W

Surround L/R 105 W/Ch

Surround Back 105 W/Ch (L/R)

Power Output* (6 ohm, 1 kHz, FTC) (no disclosure on rated power full bandwith)

Front L/R 135 W/Ch

Center 135 W

Surround L/R 135 W/Ch

Surround Back 135 W/Ch (L/R)

Dynamic Power** (front) (not an FTC rating, merely a ILS {if lightning strikes} rating that means nothing IMHO)

3 ohm 240 W/Ch

4 ohm 180 W/Ch

8 ohm 125 W/Ch

THD (Rated Power) 0.08 % (all channels) (no disclosure on bandwith or impedence rating of load)

Damping Factor (1 kHz, 8 ohm) 60

Input Sensitivity and Impedance

PHONO MM 2.5 mV, 47 k ohms

CD and TAPE Play 200 mV, 47 k ohms

Output Level and Impedance

TAPE REC 200 mV, 470 ohms

PRE OUT 1.0 V, 470 ohms

Frequency Response 10 Hz-100 kHz (+ 1 dB, - 3 dB)

S/N Ratio

PHONO (MM) 80 dB (IHF-A, 5 mV input)

CD/TAPE 106 dB (IHF-A, 0.5 V input)

Phono Overload (1 kHz) 70 mV RMS, 0.5 % THD

Tone Controls

BASS +/- 10 dB at 50 Hz

TREBLE +/- 10 dB at 20 kHz

Tuner Section

Usable Sensitivity

FM Mono 15.2 dBf, 1.0 uV (75 ohm IHF)

FM Stereo 22.2 dBf, 2.0 uV (75 ohm IHF)

AM 30 uV

S/N Ratio

FM Mono 73 dB (IHF-A)

FM Stereo 67 dB (IHF-A)

AM 40 dB

THD

FM Mono 0.3 %

FM Stereo 0.5 %

AM 0.7 %

FM Stereo Separation 40 dB at 1kHz

General

Dimensions (W x H x D) 17 1/8"" x 6 13/16"" x 16 15/16""

Weight 29.8 Ibs (my DVD player weighs more than this, I guarantee it can't have a substansial power supply unless it is PWM, and it isn't)

You might gather from my comments that I am not a fan of the Onkyo product, this is not true, I own their Integra Research products (different class, completely) and am very happy with it's ability to drive my LSIs. However, the statements made here about the Onkyo, and Integra (non research) are very accurate, there is NO way they are capable of driving a full (or even stereo pair) of LSIs for any amount of time without over stressing the receiver. Eventually you will cause the receiver to go into "protection mode" or worse damage your LSIs. Power ratings are very hard to decipher, and there is a lot of latitude in the FTC's rating system. I truly believe that you could run a pair of LSI 15s quite well with a quality 50wpc amp, but a receiver (with very few exceptions) regardless of it's rated power will not be able to give you NEAR the quality of performance that you paid for with your LSI investment.

As mentioned above Audiogon is a great source for purchasing a pre-owned quality amplifier. The additional benefit of Audiogon is that most of it's members are "hi-end" nuts so their used gear is usually "like new" and of excellent quality. Since amplifiers have no moving parts, and for the most part no parts that "wear out" buying used is a great way to get a quality amp for a fraciton of it's retail value.

Many of the above posters mentioned some great options for amps, but you might also want to look into the Integra Research RDA-7. It might be a little pricey compared to the others mentioned, but it's a $5000.00 amp that can be had for around $1800.00 used (plus shipping). It weighs 120lbs sports two 1Kv transformers and is rated and tested to supply 300 wpc into a 4 ohm load without stress. Mine never even gets more than warm to the touch driving my full LSI 7.1 system at -15db from reference all day long.

Good luck with your upgrade path.

mrorem
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    Recent posts were very helpful.
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    Any comments on Audio Source AMP300? I am thinking of picking up two for now and two later.
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    They seem to me to be too much like PA amps. If that's true, look elsewhere.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    http://www.audiosource.net/amp300.html

Comments? Good for LSis?

• 150W per channel into 8 ohm loads with less than 0.2% THD+N
    • 235W per channel into 4 ohm loads with less than 0.2% THD+N
    • 470W Bridged Mono into 8 ohms with less than 0.2% THD+N
    • Crosstalk: >65dB @ 1kHz, ref. to rated power into 8 ohms
    • Frequency Response: (20Hz to 20kHz)+0.0dB, -0.5dB
    • Signal to Noise ratio: -103dB ref. to rated power into 4 ohms
    • AC Power Consumption: 1200W (all channels driven)
    • Net Weight: 28.6 lbs (13.0 kgs)
    • Gross Weight: 36.5 lbs (16.6 kgs)
    • 150 watts RMS per channel power amplifier with complete custom installer feature set
    • Bridgeable outputs for 470 watts RMS total output power
    • Torrodial Power Supply
    • 2 stereo low-level (RCA) inputs and one high-level (speaker) input, and one auxiliary low-level output
    • Automatic source switching with adjustable delay timer (3-15 seconds)
    • Two sets of speaker outputs selectable from the front panel
    • Front mounted main volume and balance controls
    • Rear mounted master level controls for setting max output levels
    • Flexible Power-on: Switched, Signal Sensing, and 12v trigger
    • 5 way speaker wire binding posts for bare wire or Banana plugs
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    I think I would personally want more power than that going to my LSi25's. I would be looking for right around 300 watts.For some reason, I still think it's a PA amp.

EDIT - Just noticed that the THD is listed as 0.2%. That's gotta be a PA amp. No Rotel or Adcom or B&K or Sunfire or NAD, etc. would have close to that much distortion. Look elsewhere. You can do better, and those LSi25's deserve better.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    Don't think its PA. AS only makes amps for home use.
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2006
    At any rate, 0.2% THD for a solid state amplifier, especially under only an 8ohm load, is horrible. Like I said, you can do better, and your LSi25's deserve better.

EDIT - Not saying that 0.2% THD is an audible amount. I'm just using, and justifiably so, I think, the THD rating as an indicator of the amp's quality.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited January 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    They seem to me to be too much like PA amps. If that's true, look elsewhere.

I agree, I thought Audio Source only made eq's these days(LOL)? If it were I, I wouldn't consider purchasing any Hi-Fi product based on spec's alone. Go audition the amp, or better yet ask for a loaner for in-home trial. If none is available, then pass.

mrorem