THX Select 2 vs Ultra 2 - Receiver selection

Options
2»

Comments

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited January 2006
    Options
    i've never seen re-eq boost treble for speakers. Ever.
    -3db. at 5khz
    -6db at 12khz
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Price has no relation to quality? So, I guess a BMW isn't better than a Saturn?
    With the exception of Bose, I can't think of a manufacturer in electronics that doesn't offer better build quality and performance when charging significantly more than other price brackets. Pioneer Elite and Fujitsu plasmas are far better than Panasonic and Samsung plasmas, for instance.

As for THX, I think the theory isn't bad. Create a set of standards that these crappy receiver manufacturers are forced to adhere to in order to assure some level of quality for the consumer. It isn't a terrible idea. However, once a unit reaches a certain level of quality, the certification becomes somewhat superfluous. B&K, Lexicon, Krell, do these sound like names I need to have a THX sticker on to know they are superior?

Now if we can just get a set of standards for MUSIC playback to which these manufacturers need to aspire, that would be something. As it is, they all create their own standards, and their own way of measuring those standards, making the results....useless!?
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited January 2006
    Options
    gregure wrote:
    Price has no relation to quality? So, I guess a BMW isn't better than a Saturn?
    With the exception of Bose, I can't think of a manufacturer in electronics that doesn't offer better build quality and performance when charging significantly more than other price brackets. Pioneer Elite and Fujitsu plasmas are far better than Panasonic and Samsung plasmas, for instance.

As for THX, I think the theory isn't bad. Create a set of standards that these crappy receiver manufacturers are forced to adhere to in order to assure some level of quality for the consumer. It isn't a terrible idea. However, once a unit reaches a certain level of quality, the certification becomes somewhat superfluous. B&K, Lexicon, Krell, do these sound like names I need to have a THX sticker on to know they are superior?

Now if we can just get a set of standards for MUSIC playback to which these manufacturers need to aspire, that would be something. As it is, they all create their own standards, and their own way of measuring those standards, making the results....useless!?

Good post,
    THX is marketing, period. Created by George Lucas. It will only tell you what you already know about the equipment if you did some research. In the beginning there was only THX certified. This only served the purpose of differentiating btween low end equipment and mid end equipment. They created a false sense of value that people would pay more if it was THX certified. The mid fi equipment already could meet the THX certification but had to pay a liscense to use it. $ for George. But that left a quandry, how could they put the same THX badge on an entry level mid-fi receiver as the flagship? Answer: THX Select, Ultra, Ultra 2...etc. Problem solved, more $ for George. The good equipment could already perform so quality did not come into play.

Fast forward to today, there is now THX certified sheetrock. Only lower/mid fi equipment use THX. THX is marketed every time you watch a movie before the credits. It is a message to those who are novices telling them that whatever they get should be THX _ _ _ whatever the suffix, and not the HTIB they were looking at, that is not certified. Most decent equipment manufacturers do not use or have stopped using THX. Why pay George a liscense to certify that thier equipment is already way surpassing THX.

THX is the equivalent of putting a sticker on a new car, assuring that it has an engine and tires. I take comfort in knowing that my sheetrock is THX certified and that George Lucas approves of my walls and has a little more pocket change due to me because he needs it. The only real sad thing about it all is that I did not think of it first. Hey guys, you know your gear will not sound good unless they are "VENOM" certified SUX. Send me $100 for the decal.
    Venom
  • kmartin971
    kmartin971 Posts: 236
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Fact is all major componies now have their receivers THX tested. So go info but does it really matter. I woud buy Ultra 2 graded receivers until they come down in price.
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    Sony Upconverting DVD Player
    XBox
    XBox 360 (Wireless connection live and media center enabled)
    PS3
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Well, if nothing else, as a collective group we are armed with an extreme amount of knowledge just to watch a friggen movie.

Surely we could request the Actors to be THX certified!!!

RT1
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited January 2006
    Options
    My remote contol is THX certified but the batteries are not. What now?
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Opportunity Knocks!!!

RT1
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Waaa!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Well, if nothing else, as a collective group we are armed with an extreme amount of knowledge just to watch a friggen movie.

Surely we could request the Actors to be THX certified!!!

RT1

Amen! :D
  • m-rorem
    m-rorem Posts: 58
    edited January 2006
    Options
    While I agree that THX ratings are not a sole reason to buy a receiver, amp, DVD player, DVD software, speakers, or cables, etc. It's not really a reason NOT to buy either.

As mentioned above, for the most part it was an attempt to create a standard that would enable a would-be customer to identify a product that met at least a bare minmum level of quality and features. Unfortunately as is almost always the case, many manufactures have bastardized this into a way to get people to blindy spend more money!

There are some features of the THX Ultra2 specification that do have benefits to all consumers (at least those with 7.1 systems). The "boundry-gain compensation" can benefit those that have limited placement options for their sub, and no other form of equalization. The Ultra2 processing for 5.1 soundtracks allows you to use the surround back channels of your 7.1 system (without having the rear soundstage collapse as is the case when using EX processing on non EX recordings). As mentioned, RE-EQ is a useful feature also.

THX certification cost manufacturers big $$$ so be aware that you will either have to pay more for this "feature" on a quality product, or pay more than you should for a product that is designed to "meet" the necessary specifications at the expense of quality elsewhere.

good luck

m-rorem :rolleyes:
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2006
    Options
    THX Ultra 2 products come with a very hefty price tag indicating higher quality. QUOTE]

Holydoc wrote:
    Higher price means higher quality? Let's not get carried away.

:D

I am with you HOLY DOC

NOT true. SPEAKER GEEK

THX Ultra2 is developed to simplify calibration process (All the set up functions to your receivers). It fills in the soundstage w/o manually setting your receiver, that is no need to set your speaker levels, distance, lfe ..etc. Mainly it's developed to the not technically oriented folks, it's a fool proof. I hope I made a point here.

NOTE:
    You must set your THX settings when play THX certified DVD. It's not the same as your Receiver's Test TONE.
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Doggie, you missed the point of the remainder of the post. :rolleyes: Not sure why you guys are so anti THX. It is an attmpt to improve things. Really, it is. Ultra and Ultra 2 are abit more than you imply...

"THX Ultra and THX Ultra2 Certified Products deliver top quality audio and video presentations to large home theaters. A viewing distance of approximately 12 feet / 4 meters from the display to the listening position is ideal for these specifications, which translates to a 3,000 cu. ft. room.

Considered the benchmark for home theater products, THX Ultra2 offers uncompromised playback of multi-channel movies, music and games. THX Ultra2 incorporates new features and more power requirements for premium home theater receivers, pre-amplifiers, power amplifiers and speakers that can distribute an optimal soundstage across wide viewing areas in dedicated home theaters.

While THX Ultra2 Certified Products are dependent on the room size, THX Ultra Certified Products are not. THX Ultra brings high end performance to interconnects, equalizers, projection screens and DVD players, complementing the THX Ultra2 category.

Both the THX Ultra and THX Ultra2 specifications are designed for the home audio enthusiasts who demand peak performance from their equipment in their dedicated home theater, representing the best THX has to offer in one package. "
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Doggie, you missed the point of the remainder of the post. :rolleyes: Not sure why you guys are so anti THX. It is an attmpt to improve things. Really, it is. Ultra and Ultra 2 are abit more than you imply...

"THX Ultra and THX Ultra2 Certified Products deliver top quality audio and video presentations to large home theaters. A viewing distance of approximately 12 feet / 4 meters from the display to the listening position is ideal for these specifications, which translates to a 3,000 cu. ft. room.

Considered the benchmark for home theater products, THX Ultra2 offers uncompromised playback of multi-channel movies, music and games. THX Ultra2 incorporates new features and more power requirements for premium home theater receivers, pre-amplifiers, power amplifiers and speakers that can distribute an optimal soundstage across wide viewing areas in dedicated home theaters.

While THX Ultra2 Certified Products are dependent on the room size, THX Ultra Certified Products are not. THX Ultra brings high end performance to interconnects, equalizers, projection screens and DVD players, complementing the THX Ultra2 category.

Both the THX Ultra and THX Ultra2 specifications are designed for the home audio enthusiasts who demand peak performance from their equipment in their dedicated home theater, representing the best THX has to offer in one package. "

:rolleyes: interesting :rolleyes:
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon