THX Select 2 vs Ultra 2 - Receiver selection

Options
kmartin971
kmartin971 Posts: 236
edited January 2006 in Electronics
I am considering the Yamaha V2600 with is a THX select 2 receiver.

Anyone know the difference betweenn THX Select, Select 2, Ultra, and Ultra 2?

The THX website does not offer anything? http://www.thx.com/mod/products/hometheater.html

Only difference they state is Select is for rooms upto 2000 SQ foot and Ultra is for rooms that are approx. 3000 SQ foot.

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/THX...ctvsUltra2.html

My room dimersions are 15x22x8=2640 sq foot. Sweet Spot will be approximately 10 feet from the screen.

Give that I have already invested in the LSi series, what should do?
TV = WS65611
Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
Amp Aragon 2007
Panamax 5510
Towers = LSi25s
Center = LSiC
Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
Rear (2) = LSiFX
JBL S120P II
Sony Upconverting DVD Player
XBox
XBox 360 (Wireless connection live and media center enabled)
PS3
Post edited by kmartin971 on

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2006
    Options
    K, there is no need to start multiple threads on the same topic.

Now with that said, don't focus on THX, focus on getting a receiver that has all the features you want & sounds good with pre-outs so that you can add separate amplification.

Better yet since you have already spent good money on LSI's go with separates altogether & be done with it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Not everyone reads both sections. I am looking for specific information on THX not general info.
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited January 2006
    Options
    THX doesn't mean crap. It's just specifications. Like saying hot dogs are kosher. Congrats, George Lucas spit in that receiver. THX certified.

Cfrizz is right, grab some seperates or a nicer receiver. Check out Outlaw Audio for nice HT seperates and receivers. Buying used isn't a bad thing. It will save you cash and let you get a better product.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Kmartin,

Here you go with a good link about THX and the differences:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/feature-article-thx-1-2006-part-1.html

I tend to disagree with the others on the fact that THX does not mean a thing. What it does mean is that the receiver has to be capable of performing to a certain standard. This is nice in the fact that you know at least the minimum your receiver will perform and can begin to judge after that. Receivers that have not been THX certified do not have to meet certain criteria laid out by the THX certification.

However, this does not mean that a receiver that is not THX certified is not as good as one that has been certified. Some manufactorers do not wish to pay the extra to get their systems certified though they perform as good or better than a THX certified one. Those receivers will cause you to do a bit more homework but (as mentioned a bit abrutely in this thread) should not be eliminated just because they are missing that certification.

Good luck in your search! ;)
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Great article - perfect!!!!!!!!! Thanks!
    TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    XBox
    PS3
  • kmartin971
    edited January 2006
    Options
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited January 2006
    Options
    baloney. Wanna see the REAL standard behind THX Ultra receivers?

Read this and check out the pics after they popped the top on a Kenwood model.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/blowing/kenwood-x9992d/index.html

THX-EX is only Dolby EX with re-eq. Prologic IIx is superior to both, and you don't need a THX-certified receiver to get it.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2006
    Options
    THX doesn't define my gear, it just happens to come with it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited January 2006
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:

THX-EX is only Dolby EX with re-eq. Prologic IIx is superior to both, and you don't need a THX-certified receiver to get it.

Yeah I've seen that one many times before :rolleyes: . But just because Kenwood is crap doesn't mean others are. I still think there are some plusses that come with a THX certified receiver.
  • Holydoc
    edited January 2006
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:

Aaharvel,

I don't think the life span nor the build quality of the receiver has anything to do with meeting the THX standards. Those things have everything to do with the manufacturer and their customer base. The THX standards mean the receiver must be capable of performing to a given level. Nothing that I saw about the insides of that receiver hinted at the fact that it could not perform to the specs it was built for. All opening up that receiver told me was that Kenwood builds a cheap, assembly-line receiver for those that cannot afford or know better.

I hope Kmartin knows that a THX certified receiver does not mean build quality. I was thinking that Kmartin was using this certification as a starting point to get the features he wants, and then determining the best quality receiver for his needs and budget.

I have to agree with Dorokusai,
    THX doesn't define my gear, it just happens to come with it.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Klipsch Computer Speakers******** are THX certified.

I think that says it all! :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Holydoc
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Klipsch Computer Speakers******** are THX certified.

I think that says it all! :D

That tells me that the Klipsch speaker system will have surround around sound, have a subwoofer, cross-over of the speakers set to 80hz, etc., etc, etc. In other words, I know a little about those computer speakers without even seeing them. You cannot say the same about a non-THX computer speaker system. It is just a way of knowing what features you are getting without having to research all the systems to death. Again it does not tell you the quality of the system, just some of its minimum capabilities.

I do agree with the anti-THX members points. Getting a THX system does not equal getting a quality system. Also just because a system is not THX certified does not mean it is not as good or better than a comparable THX system. . I agree with these points 100%.

However I still think that it is a good starting point for those that wish to get a decent (probably starter) HT performing system without doing the research of us audiophilic hobbiests.
  • aaharvel
    edited January 2006
    Options
    oh. well if i was wrong about THX also representing build quality then I apologize. I do wish I had re-eq.. that's a feature I would find useful.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Holydoc
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I am with you Aaharvel. I wish there was a construction standard that would make it easier to understand exactly what you are paying for when you buy a piece of equipment. Until then we have to depend on reputation, brilliant people who have tested these products for themselves (like these in this thread), reviews, and personal tests.

Of course if it was too easy, then a lot of the fun of putting together that ultimate system would be eliminated. For me, it is a hobby. If I had all the answers straight up, it would just be a purchase.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2006
    Options
    THX has NOTHING to do with build quality....Kenwood finally made something that was WORTH popping the top off, that's all....nothing more.

THX is a marketing machine at it's finest....other manufacturers should learn something from their stranglehold on the brain of the common man.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • stonepimp
    stonepimp Posts: 34
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Sharp LC-46D82U
    Yamaha HTR-6190b AVR
    Pioneer DV-578A
    Sony PS3
    Sony CDP-CE375
    Sharp VC-H953
    Belkin PureAV Home Theatre Power Console PF60
    polkaudio R30-Mains
    polkaudio R30-Rears
    polkaudio Csi3-Center
    Paradigm PS 1200
    Harmony 880 Universal Remote Control
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2006
    Options
    hold on just beacues a speaker/amp/rever/pre dont have the great thx logo dont mean it cant perform. on speakers/amps/cables you get nothing but a higher price. on a per and recever you get a few things like re eq and thx decodeing. i bet my speakers would get the thx logo on them if polk sent them in. so if you want to pay for a logo on your stuff that ads nothing go for it.

get something from denon/onkyo/hk or better. get what you need and something with pre outs. i would also look as cheap as you can sence the new hd-dvd will have a new sound format and prossesing. i hope i can get my pre upgraded when they have the new standard.
  • Holydoc
    edited January 2006
    Options
    goingganzo wrote:
    i would also look as cheap as you can sence the new hd-dvd will have a new sound format and prossesing. i hope i can get my pre upgraded when they have the new standard.

Rut Roh Raggy...

Is this true? Will the new HD formats not process through a standard receiver? I never had problems with SACD or DVD-A with my current proprocessor. I just assumed that the HD formats would not change any processing needs that the receiver would do.

Is there some documentation of this? Where can I read up on my very near future needs?
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited January 2006
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:
    I do wish I had re-eq.. that's a feature I would find useful.

I have this and am curious what is it for?
    I have it switched on but when I shut it off I didn't really notice a difference.
    What is it supposed to do?
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • aaharvel
    edited January 2006
    Options
    re-eq when applied takes some of the overt brightness out of DVD soundtracks. A good thing I think- as many studios mix the treble too high above 12khz on many discs. I guess they're all Klipsch owners or something..
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I guess I should have listened to the same track both ways, I probably would have heard it.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • speakergeek
    edited January 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    THX has NOTHING to do with build quality....Kenwood finally made something that was WORTH popping the top off, that's all....nothing more.

THX is a marketing machine at it's finest....other manufacturers should learn something from their stranglehold on the brain of the common man.

I have to respectfully disagree. If you look at the different levels of THX certification you get an indication to what the product had to do to get certified. THX Ultra 2> THX select 2. THX Ultra 2 products come with a very hefty price tag indicating higher quality. THX Ultra 2 manufacturers include Aragon, Lexicon, Parasound, and Krell just to name a few. The Denon 5805 and Pioneer Elite VSX 59 TXi ( both Ultra 2 certified) are hardly crap. There aren't any Ultra 2 certified Kenwood products....
  • Holydoc
    edited January 2006
    Options
    THX Ultra 2 products come with a very hefty price tag indicating higher quality.

Higher price means higher quality? Let's not get carried away.

:D
  • speakergeek
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Holydoc wrote:
    Higher price means higher quality? Let's not get carried away.

:D

In this case, most definately. Aragon and Krell speak for themselves. To get Ultra2 certification requires better engineering....no matter how you look at it.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2006
    Options
    In this case, most definately. Aragon and Krell speak for themselves. To get Ultra2 certification requires better engineering....no matter how you look at it.

That's crap....they have a standard, that's a given, but it's simply about how much you are willing to pay to have the logo. There's far too much generic stuff with a THX logo to be taken seriously anymore.
  • Holydoc
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Speaker,

Price has absolutely nothing to do with quality. Price is only defined by what the seller and the buyer will agree upon.

*sigh* I guess it does not matter. It serves me no purpose to try to convince you that just because something is priced higher than another does not automatically make it better. However since we are on the subject, I do have this old Bose Center Channel that I will sell you for $1K. It is a bit more pricey than others so it has to be better, right?

*smile*
  • speakergeek
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Holydoc wrote:
    Speaker,

Price has absolutely nothing to do with quality. Price is only defined by what the seller and the buyer will agree upon.

*sigh* I guess it does not matter. It serves me no purpose to try to convince you that just because something is priced higher than another does not automatically make it better. However since we are on the subject, I do have this old Bose Center Channel that I will sell you for $1K. It is a bit more pricey than others so it has to be better, right?

*smile*

Never speak in absolutes. ;) In general, quality comes with a price. I think you know what I mean.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I must agree with that, no doubt.
  • speakergeek
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Oh, and I'll pass on the Blose for 1K. :p
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2006
    Options
    yes price dont mean quality. i am bulding a replacements for my speakers for about 130 a speaker and to get a better quality and sounding speaker wyou will need to spend 2-3k each and that is minum. it is a mtm with a vifa ring tweater better than the one polk uses on the lsi and dual 6.6 high excurson and flat bl speaker.so these have great output and exelent sq.

actuley what re eq dues is tone down the hgh fr sence the theater speakers fronts are behind the screen the high end has some rool off and it is bosted to crect for this. and most ht the speakers are not behind the screen.