Which all-in-one Polk HT system should I buy?

kenratboy
kenratboy Posts: 10
edited August 2002 in Speakers
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, but I have over 1000 posts at the Klipsch forum and decided to check this place out!

I have a REAL question, though.

I am looking for a low-price (under $800 maybe) all-in-one (5 speakers + sub) HT system for a secondary HT system. It is being driven by a $300 Pioneer receiver, but it sounds good and has some power to spare.

This is for 99.8% movies and 0.2% music. Levels listened to are pretty low, we are less than 10 feet away from the speakers.

a 10"+ sub is desired, the system has an 8", and that JUST BARELY cuts it.

What do you recommend? I am looking at EVERYTHING, this is not a reference system, just a little TV/HT rig.

Thanks!!!

Grrrrr...:supermad: , oh, I mean, :)
Post edited by kenratboy on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    Looks like you won't be going Polk, unless you buy used. The RM6200 retails for about $900, and maybe you could get a discount, but it has an 8" sub. If you're interested in Polk, you should still listen to it... maybe the 8" would suit your needs.

You could also watch the Flea Market forum for used, or even post asking if anyone has anything to sell.
  • kenratboy
    edited August 2002
    Actually, the RM6200 is $650 and the RM6600 is $900 from Crutchfield.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    R40 mains, $199/pair at Fry's
    R10 rears, $70 all over ebay. (or mains also)
    CS175 center, or a used Polk center (cs100 or some such) $85-100 on ebay....
    10" Jbl, Polk, DCM etc etc on ebay, $250 or so...

Thats under 6 Franklins so far, and just an quick example of many combinations you could put together. Still leaves room for upgrades, software, whatever....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited August 2002
    I'm going to have to agree with Russman on this. The R series is a great place to start. It's an all around good system for HT as well as music. I've got the exact same setup that Russman mentioned with the exception of the sub. Sure I plan to upgrade, but for right now in my little apartment this system rocks and you won't get this kind of sound from any HTIB speaker set.

R40/R10/CS275i/PSW-350 (or other comparable sub) is what I recommend. You can get all of that for $600 or $700 max if you shop around a bit. Good luck and let us know what you decided on.
  • kenratboy
    edited August 2002
    Thanks!!!

How about this:

Drop the surrounds, I have speakers that do that, 95+% of out listening is stereo (DSS) or DPL. Surrounds usually don't even get used! So, what would be the best for L/C/R + subwoofer?

I can always pick up a pair of surrounds at a leter date.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Budget still 8 Franklins?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    Sorry about the price/model mixup.... I didn't figure the least expensive would fit your needs.

I didn't mention it, but I'd go separates, too. Are you under size limitations? Heck, there are/were a pair of Monitor 10Bs for sale on the flea market forum.. maybe you could use those as mains and forget about the subwoofer for a little while...

Otherwise, I agree with the others.... I'd take a little more time and patience, maybe settle for a used one or two, and put together a setup. You could most likely put them to better use in the future anyway if you ever do upgrade this HT system, and most likely easier time selling them off, too, if you wanted.
  • stef_000us
    stef_000us Posts: 29
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by kenratboy
    Surrounds usually don't even get used! So, what would be the best for L/C/R + subwoofer?

This might sound silly but you may want to consider a single pair of rti70 if this is really a small room. In my room setup, the rti70 are strong down to 30Hz. You may put them closer to the back wall and maybe be happy without a sub (and have great main speakers as your starting point for upgrade)

Steph
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    rt35i....you can get them for what 250-150 now? and you can get the cs245i for 150-100...awesome speakers!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • kenratboy
    edited August 2002
    To be 100% honest, I am just fishing right now. I will probably end up with JBL or Klipsch, but I am open to anything.

I think Polk makes VERY hi-quality gear, but I am just looking around.

Thanks for all the help!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2002
    JBL???? You don't want that stuff really, do you!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kenratboy
    edited August 2002
    Well, if you saw my setup, you may feel different.

I am NOT talking Northridge Series, I am talking strait up pro gear that.

I have some JBL gear, a pair of HLS 610's, which got mucho praise. Also, a dual 15" subwoofer, each woofer costs $350. It can make the springs in my garage doors rattle and annoy me while I listen. For real.

I am a horn and big-woofer fan.

This is for a secondary system, so I don't need 110 dB. at 20 feet.
  • Audioreality
    Audioreality Posts: 23
    edited August 2002
    Hi Ken.
    Wasssup?
    I have a pair of Monitor 10s that just flat out kicks ****.
    They're one of my favorite speakers I got.
    If you could find a set of those, you'd be set.
    I think they rival many of the new speakers i've heard.
    You could probably piece together a decent system of old stuff for under 6 bills.
    Keep watching the auctions and stuff.
    Good luck on your search.
    I'll let you know if I hear any killer deals.
    You should of heard just what i've seen.