Center channel cost

caseymou
caseymou Posts: 327
edited August 2002 in Speakers
Just purchased new mains for my HT system RT55's. Started looking for a matching center and CS400 keeps coming up. This brings me to the question: Why would CS400 center used prices be higher than a used pair of 55's? Each RT55 has a wood cabinet, 2 drivers, a crossover, and a tweet (I assume shielding also). Using this formula the pair of RT55's I just bought for $150 have 2 times the components of the CS400, and thus the CS400 should be valued at $100 or less. The only contradiction to this formula is the "supply and demand" issue. Anyone with any comments?
Post edited by caseymou on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    I brought this up a long time ago, I agree the center channel pricing is a rip off.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    The deals are out there if you look, cs245's for a c-note, NEW csi30's for $149.....

I agree, pricing doesn't always seem on-par....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited August 2002
    How close is the performance of the cs245 to the cs400? My mid range HT setup may not even be able to tell the difference. Anything will be a step up from my CS100. What are the going prices for cs400 you have seen? I'm seeing around $200-225.
  • curleyq
    curleyq Posts: 1
    edited August 2002
    Circuit City had nice prices on open box items - I saw the CS 400 for $219.00 - thought that was an ok price - they also had surrounds open box type fx300s for $139 or so - that type of shopping is hit or miss but if you are lucky you can make out ok
    curleyq
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    you got like really lucky...considering the rt55i's 55 etc are usually 350-550...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC