Ceiling Mounted Speakers for L&R Surrounds?

paul schwartz
paul schwartz Posts: 9
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I wanted to float the following idea for your opinions.

I'm in the process of installing a Denon 3802 with Polk RTi100s, CSi40, FXi30s and PSW450 in my Home Theater. My original plan was to set up the system and run it in a 5.1 configuration with surrounds mounted on the back wall. The surrounds are being mounted on the back wall because the room is in somewhat of a reversed sideways "L" configuration which prohibit me from mounting the left surround on a wall.

Now here is my idea . . I'm thinking about turning the 5.1 configuration into a 7.1. In order to do this, the FXI30s would continue to be mounted on the back wall to serve as the back surrounds. For the left and right surrounds, I'm considering mounting a set of RCi series (Polk's in wall series speakers) in the ceiling (remember, I don't have a wall on the left side).

What are your opinions? Based on the configurations described above, am I better off staying with the 5.1 configuration or would there be merit in going with the 7.1 configuration?
Post edited by paul schwartz on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2002
    I love my 7.1 system, and I strongly reccomend that you use a direct firing speaker for the rear channels should you go with a 7.1 setup.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2002
    Love my 6.1 setup and will never go back to 5.1.
    Does your reciever do 7.1?
    Try your best to have "side" mounted surrounds (dipole).
    Rear surrounds direct fireing. IMO I have found this to be the best setup.;)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Paul,
    I will have to agree with the posts above,but the inceiling is a great Idea.You want to get totally custom,put all the rears in the ceiling.Then you can set them exactly where you want...correctly.

Maybe you can trade te fx's in on some inceiling speakers.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • paul schwartz
    paul schwartz Posts: 9
    edited August 2002
    Just to clarify, I meant to say 6.1, not 7.1 . .

Regarding the direct radiating speakers for the rear, is there a reason why you would not want the sound to be diffussed? Is it because you'd loose the ability to determine whether the sound was coming from the rear or sounds which would negate going with a 6.1 configuration?
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited August 2002
    holding just hold my ,
    monopole for the rear center channnel is to go.Inceiling or onwall,your choice.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Which personality are you posting under? Is this Dan, or his evil twin liv4fam?

;)

Cheers,
    Troy, I mean Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Is this Dan, or his evil twin liv4fam?
    :lol::lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by liv4fam
    holding just hold my ,
    monopole for the rear center channnel is to go.Inceiling or onwall,your choice.

Just by reading that, regardless of who actually posted, obviously the install day is complete, and they've already started hittin' that Tweeter Tea again....

Maybe goingganzo can translate for us.... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Maybe goingganzo can translate for us....

Ed Zackry what I was thinking.....;)
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    Just by reading that, regardless of who actually posted, obviously the install day is complete, and they've already started hittin' that Tweeter Tea again....

Maybe goingganzo can translate for us.... ;)
    Hahahaha :D

Aaron
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Sorry guys,
    that was me we where trying out a network we built and Liv4fam had signed on to the forum,I took the laptop into another room to try out the post and well you read it I was doing 50 things...glad you guys got a kick out of it...

EVIL TWIN......HAHAHA
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.