Cheater Plugs / Safe Or Unsafe To Use?

Options
pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 5,004
edited January 2006 in Troubleshooting
Kind of late to be asking because I've had them in line for a while now. They definetely do work. But I've read that they can be dangerous. I've also read that it's nothing to worry about. Who do I believe? What could possibly happen by using them? I'd hate to get zapped & leave all this nice gear to my wife. She'd probably sell it all.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Cheater plugs are a quick and easy way to get rid of a ground loop problem that many including myself have run across when running separate power amps.

As long as there isn't any electrical surges to your components then you are safe.

Best thing would be to try and find out what component, IC's etc. are causing the problem. This can be a tedious process of unhooking all your components and plugging them in one at a time.

I also believe that if you use a good conditioner, panamax, monster etc. and plug all your components into it, then even if you use a cheater plug then you have a marginal layer of protection. At least your conditioner is grounded..

Scott