RT20p's - Amp Problems

Options
mmiller1969
mmiller1969 Posts: 2
edited January 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hello Team, Awesome website.

The subs stopped working in my RT20p's. They were intermittently cutting out over the last few months but now they are not working at all. I pulled out the amps and looked for a loose connection or faulty solder dab or corrosion and I don't see any visible signs of problems.

Some other posters have written about similar problems. Is there some typical problem with a particular component in the amp that you could recommend I look into? Or is it typically a lost cause and I probably need new amps?

I really love these speakers. (Regardless of the fact I have had to replace every component speaker in each tower at least once over the last ten years) So any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Post edited by mmiller1969 on

Comments

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited December 2005
    Options
    You know the RT series did have some issues, (from experience and from others posting). I had to replace all my drivers in my RT16's as well.

I am not really familiar with the 20's, can you run the subs passive, with another amp?

At least if your amps are shot, then you could still use the speakers, until you get the amps serviced.....

Scott
  • mmiller1969
    mmiller1969 Posts: 2
    edited December 2005
    Options
    That's a really cool idea. I guess that's possible but I really wouldn't know how to wire it up? Anybody out there ever try this? Thanks
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Get in touch w/ Ken Swauger. He'll set you straight.
  • merck
    merck Posts: 4
    edited January 2006
    Options
    if you have a ohm meter measure the speaker. i dont know what the design is on polks unit. but most of the amp have protection circuit. it could be thermal, dc, high current protection circuit, no load protect etc.... so if the unit has it and your speakers are shorted its going to protect.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for participating in the Forum. Since the two woofers are connected in series if one of them is "open" neither one will operate. The best thing to do is to remove both of the 8" woofers from the front of the cabinet and disconnect their wires (it's probably a good idea to make a few notes on the color of the wires that are connected to each woofer's terminals). Then, at a very moderate playing volume, try playing each woofer, one-at-a-time, directly powered by your receiver. This would determine if the woofers are functioning. Let me know what you find.
    Regards, Ken