New System - Did I do the right thing

Bob Richards
Bob Richards Posts: 27
I'm relatively new to all of this. I purchased two Polk Monitor's 60's got thePSW10 free. I got a good deal on an Onkyo TX8511 amp. It's two channel since I am more interested in music than home theater also it has a hook up for a turntable. I also purchased an Onkyo 6 cd/dvd changer. I am now awaiting delivery. My question is did I order an andequate system? Will I notice a difference in music quality from what I have now, a 15 year old Pioneer intergrated amp, a Bose direct reflecting speaker system with two additional 301's? I never liked this system much and am hoping for more with this new one.

I also have no idea of which way to hook up the sub. I have no driect input from the sub to the receiver so I guess I run the speakers through the sub then into the reciever. Also will I be able to run my HDTV to play through the receiver, sub and speakers. As you can see I have primitive knowledge of all this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Polk Monitor 60's
PSW 10 Sub
Bose Acoustimass 5 Series II
Onkyo TX-8511 Two Channel Receiver
Sony DVP NV800H5 CD/DVD Changer
Denon DP-29F Turntable
AudioQuest 4 Cables

Sansui AU-X901 Integrated Amp
Yamaha RX-797 2 Channel Receiver
Polk Lis 9's
Yamaha 697 CD player
AudioQuest 4 Cables
Post edited by Bob Richards on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2006
    Yes, it will sound better. :-)

Connect the red/white RCA's from the HD cable box into the back of the Onkyo.
  • Bob Richards
    Bob Richards Posts: 27
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for that tip. How about the sub. I have no LFE capability. Speaker to sub, sug to reciever?
    Polk Monitor 60's
    PSW 10 Sub
    Bose Acoustimass 5 Series II
    Onkyo TX-8511 Two Channel Receiver
    Sony DVP NV800H5 CD/DVD Changer
    Denon DP-29F Turntable
    AudioQuest 4 Cables

Sansui AU-X901 Integrated Amp
    Yamaha RX-797 2 Channel Receiver
    Polk Lis 9's
    Yamaha 697 CD player
    AudioQuest 4 Cables
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited January 2006
    Welcome to the forum.

When you get the subwoofer, your instuction manual will show the "Polk" method for hooking it up. This method runs the speaker wires from the receiver to the subwoofer, then from the subwoofer to the speakers.

Enjoy your new setup.

Zach
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited January 2006
    Yes connect from the reciever to the sub, then from the sub to speakers. I am assuming your receiver is not a HT receiver, as you will not get DD when watching HD without having it plugged via digcoax or toslink.

Okie beat me to it ! ;)
  • astropuppy
    astropuppy Posts: 33
    edited January 2006
    I just went though this with a Onkyo TX8011 with a couple of RT-7's. Then I stole a Velodyne VA1012 sub from our HT and wired it in the "Polk way". Big improvement over running just the RT-7's.

Oh, the HT got a little Velodyne VX10 which works out great for HT used primarily by the kids.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Bose spammer reported!!