Line Array rig nearing completetion...

Options
2»

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2005
    Options
    VERY nice, Russ. I hope to be able to listen to that rig soon.

I've never had the occasion to listen to a set of line arrays, but I'm intrigued by them. The dynamic capability should be astounding. With a line array, the sound falls off at half the normal rate as distance from the speaker increases, IIRC. Essentially puts you in the near field at "normal" listening distances.

I like the cherry finish on the racks as well. For anyone who is interested in those racks: You're too late. I checked on the 24th and they were sold out, all colors.

Jason
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Options
    jcaut wrote:
    With a line array, the sound falls off at half the normal rate as distance from the speaker increases, IIRC.
    :confused: Seems like that would violate some natural law or another.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    Options
    It doesn't. People always try to think linear with audio, and NOTHING in audio is linear. Everything is exponential.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    It doesn't. People always try to think linear with audio, and NOTHING in audio is linear. Everything is exponential.
    Especially the costs! ;)

Hope to get an ear on that setup sometime. :cool:
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Wow, man, my pants just flew off!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2005
    Options
    YOU sir need to come down for a visit.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Beautiful as always!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I got to listen to these a couple months back...amazing speakers.

I can't say I've listened to hundreds of speakers, but these are the best I've ever listened to - at least in my limited experience. I've never been more impressed by a single piece of audio gear...

Russ, is that the same gear I listened to them on? Looks a little different...
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    YOU sir need to come down for a visit.
    Pfft! Big Dummy and the Lovely Wendi drove right by the house and didn't even slow down to toss a beer can in the yard. :(
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2006
    Options
    That's Troy for ya. He's so ****.

PM, no, totally different gear. Different preamp, different D/A, different amps. Feel free to come on back, and bring some cd's this time and stay a while.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I know, I know.....

The bad thing is, when we roll up 95, there is no way possible to stop and see all the people that we'd like.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Yeah, we understand. It would have been nice to meet Wendi - we've already met your ugly ****. :D

Hope you had a safe and enjoyable trip.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Wendi is, BY FAR, the BETTER HALF in that one... ;)

Hey Russ, what type of crossover do the line arrays have? Do you know the set points?
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Here is a great photo layout of the project with some crossover info.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Cool. I'm seriously thinking about building some for my living room/2nd zone.