Tube CDP ....OH YEAH!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    It only had 2 hours on it when I got it and it's getting better with time. The Bugle Boys are already broke in very well, so the improvements that I'm hearing have to be the CDP burning in, I'd think.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:

Maurice - you know I like 6DJ8's. Only thing I would be concerned with regarding a tube CDP is whether or not the output is discrete. Forget what tube it runs, given the choice, take the one without opamps.

Cheers,
    Russ

Very good point. I know the op amps would be useless in my rig. If I'm able to hold it off a lot longer, I could get that really funky looking player with the output tubes exposed (forgot the brand). Same one that BlueMD owns. But that costs about the same as a pair of new RF-7 which are my dream speakers. Looks like when the time comes, I'll be deciding if I want new speakers or a new source. That's IF I'm able to hold on to my money long enough.

Maurice
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I think he's got the Shanling T-100...
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • organ
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Dragon,
    Yup, that's the one. I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2005
    Options
    That is a work of art, isn't it?
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Well I learned something new about my CDP last night.

I was playing Natalie Merchant's "Ophelia", which btw is an HDCD, and I noticed that the HDCD light wasn't on.....hmmmmm, I thought....it must be effed up. See this cdp has it's own volume control(no headphone jack) and if it's not all the turned up it won't decode the HDCD track. I had been using the volume control on the cdp with the ELP since it doesn't have one. I just put the volume knob on the pre at about 10 o'clock and let er rip. Well when I switched back to the big rig with the MLP I forgot I had been using the cdp volume control and had not turned it back up all the way.

Anyways, I was very happy to see that blue led come back on when I was listening to "Ophelia" and turned the volume on the cdp back up. I didn't get the manual with the cdp, so I never knew the volume on it had to be at full tilt boogie in order for it to decode the HDCD track. Learn something new all the time.
  • organ
    edited December 2005
    Options
    That's awesome. What do you think of HDCD? I have quite a bit and love their sound. Sounds so much closer to live music.

Here's a great source for excellent HDCD's www.referencerecordings.com

I purchased all mine from there.

Maurice
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Well, I have to say that I could tell a difference, especially in the soundstage. It seemed even deeper and more open, if you know what I mean. Mainly it was just clearer, less compressed, more detailed, and like you said(more lifelike), it seemed like Natalie was trying to sit in my lap to sing to me.