Tube CDP ....OH YEAH!!!!

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
My slightly used(2hours) tubed CDP just arrived and I'm very surprised at the build quality. Solid as a rock. Heavy little effer. Close to 20 lbs and no plastic anywhere. The case hasn't cracked yet, so I'll do that tonight when I get home. I'll want to change out the stock tubes(Philips 6DJ8s). I can't wait to get it hooked up.

It's a Sheng Ya CD-S10, which is also sold in Europe as a Vincent. The Sheng Ya Audio Company is supposedly one of the most respected manufacturers of audio gear in China, from what I've been able to find on the internet. All the info I've been able to find on this unit has all been positive.

The style is nice looking too, I'll try to post pics tonight. It has a window in the middle that shows off one of the tubes.

HDCD compatible, 24 bit/96khz Burr Brown, Philips transport, Solen caps, and if I want to bypass the tube output it has Burr Brown opamps, too. So it does have quality components and seems to be built like a tank.

Review to follow in a few days after I get to listen for a while.
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited December 2005
    Options
    soon as my cash flow gets back to where it should.....within 60 days....i'll be buying stuff like you do...seems this is one place an 'addict' can feel right at home. :D

after buying all that stuff..very recently...you must share with us your reasons for such purchases with the missus ;)
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Pictures, I want pictures.

I dig the tubed CDP I got from Madmax. Very smooth and detailed. Definitely a keeper...
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Great! Looking forward to your review.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2005
    Options
    For sure, lets see some pics.

Very nice, and pretty jealous.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Very cool Noel. I haven't read any reviews of "actual" people who own I know and who own tube CDP's. Can't wait to see the pics.. and read your thoughts on it as well.
    enjoy!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Here's a few that i took while still at work
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Gotta love that tube in the window. I look forward to your impressions.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Haven't seen that model that i can remember. Gotta clean look and not gimmicky. Nice pick up Noel.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Looks good Noel. How come you ain't home yet? :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote:
    Looks good Noel. How come you ain't home yet? :D

Gotta sell them trucks, man. I just traded for what should be my next toy, a '94 Mustang GT/5.0/5sp. :cool: :D

I had sold my old Chevy truck and bought a '95 LeBaron Convertible, si I'll get a buy bid on it from the wholesalers and get my Mustang on.
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Oh Yeah, wait'll he starts in on the 12 VOLT action!!! :cool: :D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Good looking CDP. I'm anxious to see the review.
    ND13 wrote:
    Gotta sell them trucks, man. I just traded for what should be my next toy, a '94 Mustang GT/5.0/5sp. :cool: :D
    :eek: A FORD!

Cool car....Only thing wrong with that car is the taillights and the wheels (both of which can be replaced). A buddy of mine had one. The 5.0 is still my favorite over the mod 4.6l. They got the look right in 96, but by then the 5.0 was gone. A car to have would be the 95 GTS. But of course my favorite is the 93 LX (since I have one :D )
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Gotta love that tube in the window. I look forward to your impressions.

Don't you just hate it when they make a piece of tube gear that doesn't let you see any of the tubes. I know I do. I think they would be much more appealing with a view.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Noel check your pm
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Alright, Noel! Congrats on the new toy.

I'll be very interested to hear if tube rolling on a source can make as big of a difference as pre and amps. That's a beautiful player.

Do they only distribute in Europe and China or can you find them at stores in North America as well?

I plan to get a tubed CD player for my next upgrade. Looks like it's going to be that one or Jolida. Really have to think hard if I want 6DJ8/6922 or 12AX7 in my source.

Can't wait to read your review.

Maurice
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    It's warming up the Amperex Globes as I type. Had to get those Philips out of there, but I was surprised to see they were made in the USA. That has to be a first for a Chinese audio company. Everything I've ever seen came with cheapo Chinese tubes.

Trying to decide what to listen to first....

I think I'll try some Paul Simon, then move on to SOULIVE(smooth jazz), then some Norah, and put in some Jim Croce to wrap it up and get a good feel for how it sounds with different genres. I'll rock out when it's not too late.

One thing, are Solens made in France?

I was very impressed with the innards, very well laid out. The buttons feel ultra nice.
    The little window has an amber colored light that can be dimmed or completely defeated, that's what that dimmer switch on the back was for. I thought it was for the display at first.

I'll give my first impressions of it in the am, but won't be too picky for a week or so, then I'll put the AMC back in line and compare the two. That little modded AMC can hold it's own with most anything out there under $2-3k. Sean did a great job with it, and I'll most likely keep it for a long time.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2005
    Options
    cool lookin player, have fun brotha!!!
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I think they are warm enough.....let the fun begin.

See ya in a little while with some initial impressions.

Did I mention that it looks cool as hell when it's all lit up??? :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Solen Electronique Inc.
    4470 Thibault Ave.
    St-Hubert, QC J3Y 7T9
    Canada
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Looks like a refaced, modded Marantz.

What's the tube compli broham?

Maurice - you know I like 6DJ8's. Only thing I would be concerned with regarding a tube CDP is whether or not the output is discrete. Forget what tube it runs, given the choice, take the one without opamps.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    RuSs, it uses 6DJ8s.

So far, I'm really impressed. The tubes I'm using are NOS and not burned in good yet, so the bottom end is not as full as it will be, soon. I might throw the Bugle Boys in tommorrow and give them a whirl.

The most apparent improvement was is the mids, but I kinda expected that. What really has me freaked is..............I didn't think the soundstage could get any wider than it already is with the SDAs, but it has gotten wider and deeper. The detail in the mids is incredible. What I call layering of the instruments is even more apparent also.

Back to James Taylor.
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Hey Noel,congradulations! i know a guy over at the Audiocircles who owns the Sheng Ya CD S10 and he has had it for over a year and has had nothing but good to say about it. i am interested to hear what you think after you try a few more flavors of tubes with it and come up with the one that sounds best in your particular set up.thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    William,

I've got a couple more pairs of tubes coming this week that I'll be trying out also. I'll bet, for me, my Bugle Boys will be hard to beat. I do have a matched pair of NOS Mullard 6DJ8s on the way and a pair of Amperex PQs. I couldn't/wouldn't pay the price your guy wants for his vintage tubes, so I'll just keep on getting them thru EBay and Agon.

I'm still in the market for a quad of Amperex 12AX7s for the MLP. Also some 7308s for the CDP and ELP.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Cool! Here's a link to the Vincent CD-S6mkII and CD-S2 shown at CES 2005. Looks identical.

Glad you're digging it!
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I will say this without even having had it for 24 hours........if someone wants to get a tubed cdp and can't justify the $1K+ FOR ONE, THEN THIS IS THE TICKET!!!!

imo, this cdp is the best "bang for the buck" on the market. As I have stated previously, the build quality is impeccable and is on par with much more expensive units.

Take it for what it's worth, but I can recommmend this unit and it'll be hard to top for what I have in it, $389 including shipping, but not including the upgraded tubes. I'm not sure what they are new, but I'd guess that it would be in the $600 range.

Think of it as the same as the Onix that's the same as the Music Hall, but for a lot less $$$. The Sheng Ya is the same unit as the Vincent for far less money. The Vincent is, reportedly, very popular in Germany and Europe.

The guy I got it from bought it somewhere in Maryland, so I guess there must be a few ways to get them here.
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Noel, its endorsements like that which are making me broke. Thanks buddy. :)
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Got my quad of 12AX7A Raytheon black long plates in to roll in the MLP. I'm anxious to see how they will affect the SQ. They'll have to burn in, too. I'm going to put the Bugle Boys in the cdp tonight to see if the bass extension improves. I'll report back the results later on tonight. Now off to fight the idiots in the snow. :rolleyes:
  • ND13
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The BBs got me the bass response I was looking for. I didn't have a chance to put the Raytheons into the MLP, yet. I'm anxious to see what they sound like.

The Sheng Ya has more than pleased so far and is quite the bargain, imo. Hope some of you can round one up to try yourself.

More to come.
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sheng Ya......very nice looking, I bet it sounds great.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's