Ground Loop Hum in my system!! Please Help!

yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
edited August 2002 in Electronics
So currently I have a Parasound AVC2500 Pre/Pro, a Parasound AT2205 (220 watt x 5) Amp, Mitsubishi 65" HDTV, Klipsch SW12II Subwoofer, Sony DVP-S7700, Mitsubishi SVHS VCR, (and of course my Polks RT12's, RT16's, CS350LS) all plugged into a Monster Power HTS2500 which is plugged into a dedicated 20amp line for the Home Theater. I have a buzzing sound and I know cheater plugs will remove noise, but it is highly unrecommended. The Monster 2500 removed 90% of the noise, but the fact is, some remains. I had been running cheater plugs on my amp and sub for awhile, but have felt weird doing it. What suggestions do you guys have when it comes to removing ground loop hum?

Please help fellow Polksters!
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    is it coming in on your cable tv? disconnect your cable and see if it goes away.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2002
    If it is coming from the cable, you can buy an isolation transformer (does Polk still sell those?). You can also use a couple of capacitors (I forget the values I used..) to isolate your equipment from the cable ground. The capacitors block low frequency, but pass the higher frequencies of cable TV. It really functions more like a DC-blocker, but should be effective as a ground loop eliminator as well.

Jason
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited August 2002
    I have the exact system with the same problem. I had the cable patched into the monster 2500 and the cable ground loop problem was very noisy. I no longer run cable into my system and the noise is gone. It's one of those noises that is small and constant, but can be heard with definite distiction on low volume music. It can't be amplfied, so it's not a major pain. Try a ground loop device from the Polk Shop.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Good work guys,
    thats exactly where I was going to go first.I was also going to talk about a sat feed coming into the room.
    these are the most common causes.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.