Mystery Speaker

Options
limashaynut
limashaynut Posts: 152
edited December 2005 in Troubleshooting
I have a pair of Polk speakers that I purchased back in the mid 90s, and I am not sure what it is. lol This is from a person that still has the owners manual from the first Yamaha reciever that he got as a teenager (25 mega watts per channel!).

I believe I purchased these mystery speakers from Crutchfield, and have been using them as of late, as SRB speakers in my second HT system. I believe that they are R15s, but because I can not find the original documents that came with them, and the fact that there is NO model numbers, serial numbers, or anything else on the back, I am just not sure.

They look like an older version of the current R15, they are all black, with black grills. The polkaudio on the grills is the older all silver style, and not the newer oval style. The spearkers are appoximately 10 1/2" H, 6 1/2" W, and 6 1/2" D. They are a vented speaker with a 3/4" vent to the front set to the right between the tweeter and driver. The tweeter is about 1 3/4" and is marked SL 4000 on the back. It is a different design from the current R15, with a black plastic three prong shield over the tweeter. The driver is about 5 1/4", and has #BE0005-A on the back of the driver with a build date of 4/16/93. There are no brackets on the back for the hanging of the speaker on a wall.

It may seem silly, but I am just wondering what I have. Any ideas, is this just an older design of the R15? I know there have been R10, R1, and even an RT series. Any help would be appreciated.
Jerry

Denon AVR-3806 7.1
Outlaw Audio M200 (RF,C,LF)
Sony KDFE42A10 LCD
Directv H10-250 DVR
Sony DVP-NS90V
Sony RDR-GX315
JVC Super VHS
Polk RTi8 m
Polk CSi5 c
Polk RTi6 sr
Polk Monitor 30 srb
Polk PSW505 sw (I know, I know, get an SVS!)

PLUCK THE CHICKS!
From A Former Fan
Post edited by limashaynut on

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited December 2005
    Options
    pictures will help.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • limashaynut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I am going to shoot a few tomorrow to post in the thread. I need to first look up to see how to post pics to the forum. I am not sure if they may be posted directly, or if they need to be hosted at another site, with a link to them.
    Jerry

Denon AVR-3806 7.1
    Sony KDFE42A10 LCD
    Directv H10-250 DVR
    Sony DVP-NS90V
    Sony RDR-GX315
    JVC Super VHS
    Polk RTi8 m
    Polk CSi5 c
    Polk RTi6 sr
    Polk Monitor 30 srb

PLUCK THE CHICKS!
    From A Former Fan
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    you can post them directly with your next post. no need to host them anywhere else.

click go advance..
    scroll down to manage attachments
    find attachments on your hard drive
    upload pics
    and you're done
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • limashaynut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    danger boy

Thanks for the help, will do that tomorrow.
    Jerry

Denon AVR-3806 7.1
    Sony KDFE42A10 LCD
    Directv H10-250 DVR
    Sony DVP-NS90V
    Sony RDR-GX315
    JVC Super VHS
    Polk RTi8 m
    Polk CSi5 c
    Polk RTi6 sr
    Polk Monitor 30 srb

PLUCK THE CHICKS!
    From A Former Fan
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I am going to shoot a few tomorrow to post in the thread. I need to first look up to see how to post pics to the forum. I am not sure if they may be posted directly, or if they need to be hosted at another site, with a link to them.
    Either way will work. It's easy to attach pictures from your HD to the post. Just click on the "manage attachments" and upload your pic to the post. I'm not sure if it still applies but before ~justin~ made changes to the forum you could not "preview post" after you attached them or you would lose the attachment. He may have corrected that issue...but probably not. To be safe just "submit reply" after attaching the picture....don't "preview post"
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • limashaynut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Here are a couple of pictures of the speakers I was asking about. I manged to shoot one of the back that was out of focus on the speakers, got the tree in focus though! lol

See what you think these are, I am guessing an older style of the R15. Kind of odd that there is nothing on the back of them, including serial number.

BTW, the four screws on the back is from the mounting bracket that I had them attached to the wall with.
    Jerry

Denon AVR-3806 7.1
    Sony KDFE42A10 LCD
    Directv H10-250 DVR
    Sony DVP-NS90V
    Sony RDR-GX315
    JVC Super VHS
    Polk RTi8 m
    Polk CSi5 c
    Polk RTi6 sr
    Polk Monitor 30 srb

PLUCK THE CHICKS!
    From A Former Fan
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Options
    S4's???

Driver compliment and porting looks right, but I was thinking the 4's came in plastic cabinets...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • limashaynut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I have not heard of the S4, and I own them! I will try to do some research on these, but I am guessing that these were very low end entry levels. If that is what these are, how do they compare with the R15s.

Thanks for the response Tour2ma
    Jerry

Denon AVR-3806 7.1
    Sony KDFE42A10 LCD
    Directv H10-250 DVR
    Sony DVP-NS90V
    Sony RDR-GX315
    JVC Super VHS
    Polk RTi8 m
    Polk CSi5 c
    Polk RTi6 sr
    Polk Monitor 30 srb

PLUCK THE CHICKS!
    From A Former Fan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Mini Monitors, circa 93'. Sold a pair to Troy, our first transaction way back when. They made a larger 'monitor' version, same tweet, 6.5" woof. These 2 speakers evolved into the R1 and R2 models, loosing the mylar dome, and becoming the only Polks ever made with cone tweeters.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • limashaynut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks, great info RuSsMaN, just what I was looking for. I have been seeing R15s dirt cheap all over ebay. Are the R15s much of a step up over these Mini Monitors, or they about six of one, half a dozen of the other?
    Jerry

Denon AVR-3806 7.1
    Sony KDFE42A10 LCD
    Directv H10-250 DVR
    Sony DVP-NS90V
    Sony RDR-GX315
    JVC Super VHS
    Polk RTi8 m
    Polk CSi5 c
    Polk RTi6 sr
    Polk Monitor 30 srb

PLUCK THE CHICKS!
    From A Former Fan
  • limashaynut
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I guess I am going to have to change my equipment that is listed in my signature, I had assumed that these were R15. It seems that these are in fact Mini Monitors, I am still hoping to get some feedback from others more in the know, as to how these stack up with some of the newer polk speakers in this size/class. While I like them well enough, I would like to see if it might be worth looking to trade up. One thing to keep in mind, is that do to mounting needs, I do not want a speake much larger than this. I had thought about some of the RM series SRB speakers as an upgrade as well.
    Jerry

Denon AVR-3806 7.1
    Sony KDFE42A10 LCD
    Directv H10-250 DVR
    Sony DVP-NS90V
    Sony RDR-GX315
    JVC Super VHS
    Polk RTi8 m
    Polk CSi5 c
    Polk RTi6 sr
    Polk Monitor 30 srb

PLUCK THE CHICKS!
    From A Former Fan