Which vintage Polks benefit from tweeter replacements?

Options
polksda
polksda Posts: 716
edited December 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Do *all* vintage Polks benefit from replacing the tweeters, or just some of the models?

The two pairs I listen to regularly are SDA SRS 1.2 (non-TL) and SDA 1C.

But then I also have a bunch in storage that I occasionally bring out:

SDA 2A
SDA 2B
RTA 12C
Monitor 5B
Monitor 10 Series 2
Monitor 11
RTA 11T
RTA 15TL

I assume some of the models use the same tweeter replacement?

Obviously I cannot afford to replace all the tweeters in all the speakers (heck, just replacing the tweets in the 1.2s won't be cheap), but which models would benefit the most from the upgrade?

Thanks.
Post edited by polksda on

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited November 2005
    Options
    If they have Peerless tweeters there is no need to upgrade. I've never heard the trilaminate. Any other tweeters are better off being replaced with the RDO194-1 or RDO198-1. The difference is night and day. My $.02
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited November 2005
    Options
    polksda wrote:
    Do *all* vintage Polks benefit from replacing the tweeters, or just some of the models?

The two pairs I listen to regularly are SDA SRS 1.2 (non-TL) and SDA 1C.

But then I also have a bunch in storage that I occasionally bring out:

SDA 2A
    SDA 2B
    RTA 12C
    Monitor 5B
    Monitor 10 Series 2
    Monitor 11
    RTA 11T
    RTA 15TL

I assume some of the models use the same tweeter replacement?

Obviously I cannot afford to replace all the tweeters in all the speakers (heck, just replacing the tweets in the 1.2s won't be cheap), but which models would benefit the most from the upgrade?

Thanks.

Hi,

With the tweeter replacement I've noticed a market improvement in how loud I can play my SDA-1C's and SDA-CRS+'s without harshness, fatigue or sounding uncomfortably loud. Both speaker models had the original SL2000 tweeters.

Larry
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Any speaker with either the SL1000, SL2000 or SL3000 will benefit from the new replacement.
    SL1000/SL2000 - RD0194-1
    SL3000 - RD0198-1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I was very surprised at what I heard when I changed the SL2000's with the silk replacement tweeters in my SDA 2A's! Some source material was harsh with the SL2000's and as Larry said it was easy to get fatigued in just a short time. With the silk replacements that's all gone and the high end is now very smooth! Do yourself a favor and swap out the tweeters in the pair that you listen to the most because you won't regret it. Most upgrades or changes in audio have small results that some people can't recognize but changing to the silk tweeters isn't one..it was without a doubt the best change that I have made to my system and I wish I had known about the silks long ago. BTW..just out of curiosity I put the SL2000's back into my SDA's to see if I would still notice the difference and I was only able to listen for about 5 minutes before I put the silks back in!!!!!!!!!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited November 2005
    Options
    How do people feel about removing their SL1000's and replacing them with Peerless? It's clearly easier than replacing them with RD0's.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I assume that the replacement is a simple swap? Couple of screws and that's it? (I'm mechanically challenged)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited November 2005
    Options
    The Peerless is a direct replacement for the sl1000. If you've got 'em swap out the sl1000's. Much smoother with silk. The RDO194-1 is not a direct replacement for either the sl1000 or the Peerless.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Larry Chanin
    edited November 2005
    Options
    polksda wrote:
    I assume that the replacement is a simple swap? Couple of screws and that's it? (I'm mechanically challenged)

Me Too! :o

Yes, the SL2000 replacement is a simple swap. The wires between the crossover and tweeter terminals have removable solderless connections that pull off and push back on. The new tweeter bodies fit exactly in the recesses cut in the MDF for the originals, and dispite a warning on the instructions about the screw holes not lining up, I didn't run into that problem.

However, since we're dealing with vintage stuff here, I had one of the connectors breakoff as I was trying to remove it from the tweeter terminal. Apparently some corrosion had formed over the years, and the force to remove the wire snapped the connector. I had a difficult time finding a suitable replacement for these small connectors. I used a deoxidizer on the connections when I installed the replacements.

Now that you've been cautioned, if you're careful chances are you won't run into the connector problem.

Larry
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Hi,
    I replaced the sl-2000 fish eyes on my sda-2b speakers and concur with all the above posts that to my ears it is a smoother, less fatigueing tweeter with more enough upper extension. Made the speakers a keeper. Before replacing them I was considering selling them. Tweeters needed a little filing to fit in (just a ridge on the edge-easy) and some rope caulk and done. Screw holes lined up and everything. Best $100 spent.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited November 2005
    Options
    (I'm mechanically challenged)

Me Too! :o

Larry,

After seeing your home theater, I would find it hard to believe you are mechanically challanged. :D

Zach
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Larry Chanin
    edited November 2005
    Options
    okiepolkie wrote:
    Larry,

After seeing your home theater, I would find it hard to believe you are mechanically challanged. :D

Zach

Hi Zach,

That's very kind of you to say.

However, as Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Before building my home theater, the only power tools I owned were a drill and a circular saw. While I'm very pleased by how the theater turned out, my biggest achievement was getting through the project with all my appendages still attached. ;)

I still don't feel I have the skills to do any crossover upgrades.

Larry
  • Jose_L
    Jose_L Posts: 52
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I have a pair of SDA-SRS2's (2 tweeter & 4 mid's & 15" woofer) & a pair of SDA-1C's ...

How do I tell which tweeter I have ? I'm the original owner, the manuals list "Trilaminate-Polimer Drivers",
    "Silver-Coil Dome Tweeter's"

Do I need to change tweeters ?

Jose
    Original SDA owner 1988 - 2006
    Tyler Linbrook owner 2006
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Could be SL2000, but probably SL1000. Pull them out and look at the stickers on the back is the first/easiest way to identify them.

Most people here who have replaced the silver dome originals with silk dome replacements (present company included) report a better listening experience.

Use the search function on the site for tons of info and pics of various Polk tweeters.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Options
    They're SL2000's... I guarantee it.

Jose,
    The 2000's are very long-lived, so it's not a matter on need... more of want. First question is, do you like the way they sound as they are?

That said, BDMP is right, many here have updated to the new tweeter, so you may want to order four and give them a spin.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Jose_L
    Jose_L Posts: 52
    edited December 2005
    Options
    So that would be 8 tweeters in all, so I would use the RD0194-1 replacements ?

So which center does Polk have to match these tweeters ?
    I have a cs350 right now..

Regards,
    Jose
    Original SDA owner 1988 - 2006
    Tyler Linbrook owner 2006
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Get four and take them for a spin... If you like them, order four more...

And mention you're a Club Polk member. You get a small discount and free shipping.

While it's a fair match for the SL2000, I think you'll find the 350 will sound a bit bright compared to the replacement tweeter, but wait and see.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • djf
    djf Posts: 120
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Just talked to customer service, they have about 250 RDO-194's in stock. Internally, they still refer to them as SL-2000's but he confirmed we are in fact talking the silk units.

Gonna do 4 now, then see how it goes, maybe 4 later!
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    There ya go... We expect a full report.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• djf
    djf Posts: 120
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Will report back in ten days or so...

Da check is in da mail!
  • BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I've had some 5b's for years now (20) and love them, and thanks to this post I decided to replace the tweets. I had a pair of Diamond Audio Silk Domes and Custom Crossovers that I pulled out of my truck a couple years ago and decided to try them since they were very expensive speakers when I bought them. I made a tweeter plate out of 1/4 mdf to allow the new tweeters to fit in the stock mounting location and screw into the stock mounting holes. I installed the x-overs and ran new wire to the Tweets and Midbass and soldered the terminations. The anticipation was killing me, and I turned them on and was completely blown away at how much better these speakers could sound. The bass seems to be about the same, but the midrange is more open and the high-end is much smoother. I may just keep these bad-boys for another 20 years.

Thanks to all for this forum.

Mike
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • Tour2ma
    edited December 2005
    Options
    OMG... Run.... FrankenPolks on the loose... :)

Welcome, Mike, glad you're enjoying them all over again. Wondering why you replaced the cross-overs as well?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I had just heard that there were people upgrading the X-overs, so I did it just because I had the units. They have much nicer coils and caps than the factory polk units so I gave them a try. I should have just put the tweeters in first so I could have tested to see if the crossovers made a difference after the fact. Oh well.

later
    SDA SRS 2.3