ReCreating the SDA CRS#

Options
deq15
deq15 Posts: 56
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I am trying to recreate the old SDA CRS model - trhere is nothing like them especially with a carver magnetic amp behind them with the holography. But the passive Radiator is tough? What should the weight be? there are no specs available for the old polk drivers. I already have the original crossover design from 1986 and the drivers are ordered except the PR which is not available from polk and I havent the equipment to figure them out. there are tons of 10 PR's available what may be the most efficiant way to make this work out?
Post edited by deq15 on

Comments

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited June 2002
    Options
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • deq15
    edited June 2002
    Options
    thanks - thats the one!
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hey, What are the chances?
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited June 2002
    Options
    The middle drivers (in the photo) are SW100's.
    I have no idea about the other two.

Please explain how you are re-creating the CRS+'s.
    I recently purchased a pair of these used from Hoosier21.
    Yes, they are fine, fine speakers.

Plz give all the dirty details of the project - including
    why you are recreating vs buying used.

You could just buy these and save yourself a lot of hassle.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1361578665

Note: no affiliation with seller.
  • deq15
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Almost Nobody wants to sell them and if they do - they have been beat up.

My uncle bought a pair brand new in 86. still has them - still the best ive ever heard - cant beatem - join em syndrome I guess!

project is going to cost $650 / pr
  • rskarvan
    edited June 2002
    Options
    DEQ15,

I have an original set of blade/blade CRS+'s in black with original Polk stands. New, this was an $1100 setup.
    I'll sell them to you for $800 and you pickup the shipping costs.

Condition is very good. New replacement Polk SL2000 tweets too.

Lemme know.

Ron S.

Note: The stands are critical to proper setup.
  • deq15
    edited June 2002
    Options
    That is a fair deal but I cannot afford it at this time. can you tell me why the standa are critical? my pla is to fly them from the celing anyhow - independant of all surrounding objects. Do you by chance have the paperwork that comes with them? - I am a pretty good cabinet maker and I think the solid oak will look better than the flake-board and formica the originals have - it will be interesting to see the effects with regards to resonance.
  • rskarvan
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Deq,
    Yes, I have the original paperwork - including schematics.
    Placement is absolutely critical because of the rear passive radiators. Distance from rear wall makes a BIG difference in lower end. Also, being a book-shelf type speaker, the height of the speaker is critical for SDA effect. You want the tweeters at about ear level.

My $800 price was a bit negotiable. Oh well. I love them anyway.

Take Care.

Ron
  • deq15
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Ok done deal ... stay tuned...
  • deq15
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Rskarvan - still wanna sell those Crs+'s?
    Ill pay 700 + shipping - I dont want the stands - they will just be in the way here in my tiny apartment
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I'm sure I'm talking out of my **** here, but isn't current (high) market value about 4 to 5 franklins? Or do the '+' bring extra coin?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • deq15
    edited August 2002
    Options
    you have any for that that arent beat to hell?
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Last time I looked there was a set on ebay...Also there is a pair in our flea market being sold by "marvelous" for $425.00 and they look great...He has a pic of them at www.audiogon.com. I just sold a pair of SDA 1C's for $625.00?????? :rolleyes:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I'm sure I'm talking out of my **** here, but isn't current (high) market value about 4 to 5 franklins? Or do the '+' bring extra coin?

Here's what I paid for my three pairs of CRS+ speakers, all 1989 models with pin/blade interconnets:

Pair 1: Very Good Condition, black oak cabinets. Some minor wear, nicks, etc. on the wood veneer. A little black wood stain brough 'em back up to "like new" condition. Original Polk stands included. Price: $463.00 ($425+$38 shipping). Found on Audiogon.com. Currently assigned to duty as the center channel speakers of my home theater rig.

Pair 2: Mint Condition, medium oak cabinets. Cabinets were re-veneered in teak. Original Polk stands, boxes, and manual included. Price: $550.00 ($500+$50 shipping). Found on Audiogon.com. Currently assigned to duty in my home office rig.

Pair 3: Mint Condition, walnut cabinets. Cabinets were re-veneered in teak. Original Polk stands, and manual included. Price: $550.00 ($500+$50 shipping). Found on Polk Flea Market forum. Currently in storage (and they are NOT for sale).

While 4 to 5 Franklins is the usual range seen in the market place for this item, the buyer must be aware that some owners have a strong sentimental attachment to their speakers and that these owners expect to be compensated for their "separation anxiety" to the tune of an additional 3 to 4 Franklins.:lol:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • rskarvan
    edited August 2002
    Options
    DEQ15,

$700 + shipping for "speakers only" is quite do-able.
    I live in Indianapolis.
    Send me an e-mail: ronskarvan@aol.com
    My tweets have recently been replaced with the new SL2000
    replacement models (from Polk). They are not the silver-coil domes. I think the new Polk ones are better - personally speaking.

Mine are black, they are the blade-blade model, and they are the one tweet per cabinet model. Not the oldest..... not the newest.
    But, they do sound very sweet.

- Ron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Options
    DEQ15,

I'll buy the ones in the flea market for $425, then you can buy them from me for $600+ ship. You SAVE $100!!!!

;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Options
    What a nice **** you are.........
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Russ is trying to rip you off, I'll do it for 525+ship.

I can't believe a **** trying to jack a brotha up like that.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut