Who is the King?

Options
Paul Connor
Paul Connor Posts: 231
edited August 2002 in Music & Movies
Don't know if there are any Elvis fans out there, but today I came across a blue vinyl copy of Moody Blue. It had been discarded in a stack of some 50 albums. Brought it home this afternoon and gave it a listen. This marks the first Elvis recording I have ever owned and after hearing it I am wondering how he got the title "The King". I'm not dissin' any of you Elvis fans, but outside of mass popularity, I have never really been impressed by Elvis. Perhaps it is my age. I guess I would be looking for someone who wrote most of his own music.

My top five list would look something like this:

1. Bob Dylan
2. Paul McCartney
3. John Lennon
4. Ray Charles
5. Van Morrison

Here is the question. Who would you consider "The King" if you could chose anyone other than Elvis?
Post edited by Paul Connor on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I thought you were talking 'bout nascarmann:D

Seriously, though, I've never been impressed much by Elvis, either. Any of those on your list are more talented musicians than Elvis, IMO.

Jason
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Never was much of an Elvis fan, either. He wasn't untalented by any means. He was probably the begining of the "manufactured" star. He could sing but it was his personna that made him as popular as anything. And the media.
    I would say Jim Morrison would get my vote. He could really expand your way of thinking. Even though his thinking was at least partly drug-induced.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Who would be the king.......gee I can't answer that.The list would be endless of the great ones......
    But I do have a Queen.........that my man is Loreena.....is in.............Loreena Mckennitt........the voice of an angel.
    Dan
    Don't laugh but I also think Barbra Streisand would be the runner up.....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Paul Connor
    edited August 2002
    Options
    At your suggestion, I bought my first Loreena McKennitt yesterday. The Book of Secrets. Listened to it twice today. I cannot believe it took me so long to find her. Thanks!

By the way, would David Bowie be in the running for the queen?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited August 2002
    Options
    LOL......
    Paul,
    she is an experience.Enjoy man.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Okay back to the oiginal subject...

Elvis is, was and always will be the king! I think that what he did for Rock & Roll gives him the title hands down. No other artists in the early years could have even hoped for any kind of success if it had not been for Elvis Presley. Looking back a lot of his stuff was Bubblegum to be sure, but the same can be said for almost any rockstar, then and now. No he did not invent it but he sure opened the door for so many artists and inspired countless others that, although I don't care for all of his music, I still respect the talent and what he did for all who listen to Rock & Roll today!

Consider the times that he was in and the social morals back then. He's the guy that had your mothers screeming with wild teenage abandon, and taught our fathers to load up with Brylcreme and actually move their hips when they danced!

Can anybody out there honestly say that they don't know most, if not all of the Lyrics to such classics as Jail House Rock, Return to Sender, Teddy Bear, Blue Suede Shoes, Hound Dog, and so many others.

You do not have to like all, or even 1 of his songs to respect what he did, and to understand that without him we would never have been blessed with what came through the door that he opened.

Elvis Presley IS the KING!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited August 2002
    Options
    The Piano Man.

Give War A Chance
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Pensacola,
    ?????

Ray Charles?
    Billy Joel?
    Jerry Lee Lewis?
    Elton John?
    Doctor John?
    Ramsey Lewis?
    Liberacie? (spelling?)
    Vladamir Horowiz?
    Van Cliburn?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Paul Connor
    edited August 2002
    Options
    FrankZ,

Great post and comments. Your right about Elvis. His first big hits were coming out the year I was born and by the time I was a teenager, he was making a comeback. I had a friend who's wife owned every recording and movie he had ever made. I don't think she owned anything else! She was a teenager in the middle fifties and her whole life revolved around Elvis. When he died, she and several friends flew from Colorado to the funeral. I've always been perplexed by the effect he had on people. I guess you could call it mega charisma. Anyway, great feedback--Thanks, Paul
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I thought you were talking 'bout nascarmann

smiley_rotflmao.gif
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!