Floorstanders or Bookshelves?

gmg
gmg Posts: 22
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some thoughts on speaker size (meaning cabinet) in relation to room size. I have a 17 X 14 room that we use only for music and movies. Would you tend to use big floor standers like the LSI 15/25 or something like the 9's with a good sub? I should say we listen to more music, maybe 60/40. Gordo
Post edited by gmg on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Do a search in here there was alot of talk on the subject...after you read all the posts..post back any questions you have.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    The 15's shouldn't take up anymore room than the 9's and stands....If you have the coins, I say go for the 15's.....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    agreed with the King-er......coinage not being an issue, I'd go with the towers. Just MHO.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    So the question remains.....which way to go??????
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    I concur with the tower theory, but for HT use, you will prob add a sub(s) anyway..... so the shelf-mounter route aint bad either....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    I'll repeat MY preference for the LSi9s with a good sub. Much like art it is what YOU find pleasing to your ear. The bookshelfs like the RT55i and the LSi7/9 seem to have superior mid range that towers in their price range do not. They also have very nice quick and tight bass and the addition of a good musical sub fills in the small area they can't get down to. JMO
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Not bad........I agree......
    Dan