So this is what it's all about....

Options
amulford
amulford Posts: 5,020
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
It's been a LONG time since I had a dedicated 2 channel stereo. I mean somewhere along the lines of 15 years. Back then, it was pretty good, but now I have a whole different view and MUCH morecritical expectations...

Well, I've been assembling a new rig for the last six months. Everything I got for this system has come from this little haven. Knowledge has been siphoned from your heads.(notice the echoes getting longer???)

I have decided to go with a tube front end and a sand ****. This would seem to get me the drive I need, while getting the sound and tuneability I desire. This is my first step into the tube world, I'm gonna need guidance...

While I know nothing is forever, I am EXTREMELY pleased with my results. It is not anywhere near complete, but I have the components and yesterday did a half **** set up to check it out. I connected the Pre, CD, amps, and speakers.

It's like having another child. :D I have been getting goosebumps listening...

I took these shots, but remember I just HAD to hear it. I don't think this is going to be the final home. Wait till you see it AFTER I am complete. Rome wasn't built in a day...

The rig will consist of the following (for now):

Pre Amp - VTL (Vacuum Tube Logic) Pure Tube Pre, model TL 2.5

Receiver - Polk Audio XRt 12 Reference XM Receiver (Signature Version) (not in the rig yet)

CD player - Luxman mode D105u with tubed output

Amps - A pair of Carver Silver 9t mono blocks

TT - I have yet to determine what to get, I'll be hitting you guys up for that one, too. ;)

Speakers - A pair of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers, Platinum Edition, with a Carver Loudspeaker Control Center.

You have to hear this , even with the lively room it's in. It reminds me of getting behind the wheel of a sports car and having fun...

Anthony
Post edited by amulford on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Bet it's going to kick ****. That's a great system you're putting together. Love those Carver amps.

What's the small component on top?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2005
    Options
    nice rig, gotta love those amazings :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Options
    That's the control center for the speakers...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Cool, nice rig man.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Good on ya Anthony. Looks like a 'lively' room. Drapes and/or a rug might be the order of the day.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited December 2005
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    It's been a LONG time since I had a dedicated 2 channel stereo. I mean somewhere along the lines of 15 years. Back then, it was pretty good, but now I have a whole different view and MUCH morecritical expectations...

Well, I've been assembling a new rig for the last six months. Everything I got for this system has come from this little haven. Knowledge has been siphoned from your heads.(notice the echoes getting longer???)

I have decided to go with a tube front end and a sand ****. This would seem to get me the drive I need, while getting the sound and tuneability I desire. This is my first step into the tube world, I'm gonna need guidance...

While I know nothing is forever, I am EXTREMELY pleased with my results. It is not anywhere near complete, but I have the components and yesterday did a half **** set up to check it out. I connected the Pre, CD, amps, and speakers.

It's like having another child. :D I have been getting goosebumps listening...

I took these shots, but remember I just HAD to hear it. I don't think this is going to be the final home. Wait till you see it AFTER I am complete. Rome wasn't built in a day...

The rig will consist of the following (for now):

Pre Amp - VTL (Vacuum Tube Logic) Pure Tube Pre, model TL 2.5

Receiver - Polk Audio XRt 12 Reference XM Receiver (Signature Version) (not in the rig yet)

CD player - Luxman mode D105u with tubed output

Amps - A pair of Carver Silver 9t mono blocks

TT - I have yet to determine what to get, I'll be hitting you guys up for that one, too. ;)

Speakers - A pair of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers, Platinum Edition, with a Carver Loudspeaker Control Center.

You have to hear this , even with the lively room it's in. It reminds me of getting behind the wheel of a sports car and having fun...

Anthony
    man, what a fine choice in two channel gear! i bet you just cant wait to get it all dialed in! thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Turn it up a little, I can almost hear :D it in atlanta :) Great system
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sweeeeet!!!!!!! :cool:
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Really nice, Anthony. Keep having fun with it all.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited December 2005
    Options
    About time, eh? ;)

Once you get it as you want it, I'm coming up for a listen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    edited December 2005
    Options
    But of course. The door is always open...
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Very,Very nice rig,I would love to hear some Amazings one day...
  • hydrobud
    hydrobud Posts: 155
    edited December 2005
    Options
    DAMN!!!! just DAMN!!!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Nice setup Anthony!!! You are feeding those amazings well! Very impressive.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Sweet, very Sweet. Great to see it all come together. Silver 9t and Amazings rock with the tube front.

RT1
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Options
    They do don't they? I think George Grand said it best:"There is no substitute for square surface area and a real man's amp."
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    LQQKIN' GOOD! Good on you Anthony. Enjoy the fruits of your labor or is it loins? Waaaaa. really cool man. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Excellent.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2005
    Options
    very nice seet up, tell us how it sounds when you dial it in.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Absolutely like mark says.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Very nice. Love those amps.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2005
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    But of course. The door is always open...
    with that system, you might consider keepin' the doors shut...and dead-bolted!!! :eek:

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited December 2005
    Options
    BIZILL wrote:
    with that system, you might consider keepin' the doors shut...and dead-bolted!!! :eek:

He lives in Podunk, NJ. He literally is surrounded by farms. I don't think the people out there would even know what has has sitting there. It probably looks like a bunch of space heaters to most of them.

Nice deal, dude! I think some carpeting is in order there though. A nice oriental rug would do wonders. If those are the windows that face the yard/pond, I think I could sacrifice the drapes for the view!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Yes, John, That's the wall of windows. But I think THE room for these is down in the basement. Much easier to treat that area without it costing a fortune for WAF... ;)

Just have to fight the boy (not to mention his mother) to get the train tables out of the way :(
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Options
    BIZILL wrote:

Bizill,

Iff'in you come round here, we knows iff'in you s'pose to be here. And we love fellers wid pretty teeth... :D
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2005
    Options
    nice.....i shall stay in arizona so as not to expose my teeth to ya'll folk down dere.
    uhm, be weary of crop circles. aliens will know that you are the most technologically advanced creature out in the sticks and they may label you as ready, willing and able to abduct and have you perform with them pearly whites.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited December 2005
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    Yes, John, That's the wall of windows. But I think THE room for these is down in the basement. Much easier to treat that area without it costing a fortune for WAF... ;)

Just have to fight the boy (not to mention his mother) to get the train tables out of the way :(

The basement is good! Concrete doesn't resonate! Then again, I have a soft spot for model trains. I think you have a fight on your hands there. Unless of course you might be able to clear some space in an attic or something. Wow, that's gotta suck! Two hobbies, both considered by the significant other to be a colossal waste of time and money! Ugh, just thinking of the arguments makes my head hurt! I don't envy you in that respect. Maybe it's time to build an addition?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2005
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Excellent.

I'd like to be the third to endorse Mr. Burns, er, uh, doro's comment.

Looks sweet man :cool:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • amulford
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Jstas wrote:
    The basement is good! Concrete doesn't resonate! Then again, I have a soft spot for model trains. I think you have a fight on your hands there. Unless of course you might be able to clear some space in an attic or something. Wow, that's gotta suck! Two hobbies, both considered by the significant other to be a colossal waste of time and money! Ugh, just thinking of the arguments makes my head hurt! I don't envy you in that respect. Maybe it's time to build an addition?

I think I have her coming around. All it takes is a couple good listening sessions around bedtime :D

Seriously, I want to move the tables to the attic. We have the room, it's just going to take some "minor structural adjustment". oseph never really took much of an interest in them anyway. It's kind of more his Mom refusing to accept that fact. If he did, I would be more than willing to help him (help being the operative word here)

An addition, while sounding great, is not an option. That one is less than ten years old. The kitchen is next on the agenda.

No, the basement is the most viable. And as far as resonance, eff it. I gave up trying to control it, the whole house feels it :cool:

Bizill- I seen them lil' fellers. They wuz right polite to me and the missus. Just felt a kinda funny fer a few days, and I didn't make no sounds when passing gas fer a spell... :eek:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Nice, amulford!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520